Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help with LED tail light bulbs, fast flashing like bulbs are burning out

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with LED tail light bulbs, fast flashing like bulbs are burning out

I recently got these tail lights for my 98sr5, and since they are all clear and have no red or orange lenses on the inside, I had to buy red and orange bulbs.

Here are the tail lights that I purchased:
Tail Lights

So, i got these off of eBay:
Link to LED orange blinkers

After installing them today, my turn signals are flashing faster than normal, as they would do if the bulbs are about to burn out. Does anyone know a way to remedy this? These bulbs are brand new, I don't understand what the problem is. Thanks for any help in advance.

BTW it took me almost 2 months of calling and hassling to get these tails, there are two sellers on ebay that advertise them for sale but do not have them in stock. I had to call about 20 times and get them to special order them. ALSO, I will post pics if anyone is intersted in the look.

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 01-30-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 98SR54RUNNER
I recently got these tail lights for my 98sr5, and since they are all clear and have no red or orange lenses on the inside, I had to buy red and orange bulbs.

Here are the tail lights that I purchased:
Tail Lights

So, i got these off of eBay:
Link to LED orange blinkers

After installing them today, my turn signals are flashing faster than normal, as they would do if the bulbs are about to burn out. Does anyone know a way to remedy this? These bulbs are brand new, I don't understand what the problem is. Thanks for any help in advance.
You need load resistors or digital flashers http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

Last edited by JHRRLD; 01-30-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the swift reply, that seems to be the answer.

Which one(s) do I need? How do I install these? Is this in/around the taillight assembly?

I have a red and amber LED in each tail light. However, the red leds don't seem to have any problem. Do I still need load resistors on them? Thanks again!

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 01-30-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 PM

Just to elaborate, because the LEDs draw so little power it tricks the computer into thinking that one (or both) of your bulbs are burnt out, hence the fast flashing. A resistor will create a "load" so that the computer think that there is a normal bulb in there.

Any site that sells LED bulbs should have them (v-leds.com, autolumination.com, superbrightleds.com) and you can put the resistor right before the wires enter/exit the socket. Very easy to do.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 PM

Also...be very careful. All clear tails such as those are NOT legal for street use. Some states I'm sure enforce it more than others. They aren't legal because they do not have red reflectors in them that are required.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you very much for your replies. I have ordered the resistors on VLEDs for $10.

Also, thank you for the information about legality. You are correct. I am located in SC and I have read through the SC Code of Laws and it does say that you are required to have a red reflector. However, I'm thinking that these are bright enough and visible enough that I won't get in trouble.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:05 PM

I live in Texas and the little towns around here love to get you for that.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 98SR54RUNNER
Thank you very much for your replies. I have ordered the resistors on VLEDs for $10.

Also, thank you for the information about legality. You are correct. I am located in SC and I have read through the SC Code of Laws and it does say that you are required to have a red reflector. However, I'm thinking that these are bright enough and visible enough that I won't get in trouble.
I have those same lights and got those same resisters as well. Works great. Although i think i am going to upgrade to the LED lights like the 4th gens sometime. But that should work fine.

Originally Posted by 98runner210
I live in Texas and the little towns around here love to get you for that.
Mine are perfectly fine, i live in Texas and i have not had a problem in a year with these so far. They actually do have a red refeltor in them, just not a red lens but it is near impossible to tell that. And with a red/yellow LED's in them they are perfectly fine.

In Texas you can tecnically drive with Neon under the car on and not have a problem as long as the actual bulb can't be seen and only the reflection. Though i would not get that brave.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Also...be very careful. All clear tails such as those are NOT legal for street use. Some states I'm sure enforce it more than others. They aren't legal because they do not have red reflectors in them that are required.
The new Mercury Mountaineer comes stock with clear tail lights, that would make this law kind of hard to enforce. lol

Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not trolling or anything, but fyi, technically clear front corners are illegal too,

I think that the reason why they are supposed to have red reflectors in the back, and amber in the front, is so that if your lights are out or something, and a car is coming from the side at night, they can see you and tell which end is the front and which is the back, and therefor tell which way you are going,

That's about the only logic that I can think of?

As for that mercury thing, if you look it's got amber and red side maker lights, which probably are reflective too

To the original poster: How bright are those things?

I've thought about getting some clear tail lenses and spraying them with some light tint, but not unless I can get lights that are bright enough for it to remain safe
Old 01-30-2008, 08:10 PM

If you're interested in clear tails I have some for sale...
Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Not to be too nit-picky, but take note of red reflectors in the bumper strip of that Mountaineer.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
The new Mercury Mountaineer comes stock with clear tail lights, that would make this law kind of hard to enforce. lol

Like others have mentioned. The Merc has red reflector on the rear bumper which satisfies the law.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

I looked up every law i could find about the color of lights allowed where back when i was going mine. and trust me that those tails and clear corners are 100% A OK in Texas at least and i am pretty sure the whole US.

In Texas (i didn't really look up the other states that much for obious reasons, but they looked pretty much the same) you must have red brake lights. The law doesn't care if it is a lens, reflector or bulb. Just red light coming out the brake lights.

And the corners can be Yellow AND White. Once again the color of the lens/reflector means nothing. the front blinkers can be yellow or white. The rear blinkers can be yellow or red. The back up lights must be white.

All the law carries about is the color coming out of the light, it could care less if it gets that color because of a lens or refelector or the bulb.

I can find that site again to back up what i am saying if you make me.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
I looked up every law i could find about the color of lights allowed where back when i was going mine. and trust me that those tails and clear corners are 100% A OK in Texas at least and i am pretty sure the whole US.

In Texas (i didn't really look up the other states that much for obious reasons, but they looked pretty much the same) you must have red brake lights. The law doesn't care if it is a lens, reflector or bulb. Just red light coming out the brake lights.

And the corners can be Yellow AND White. Once again the color of the lens/reflector means nothing. the front blinkers can be yellow or white. The rear blinkers can be yellow or red. The back up lights must be white.

All the law carries about is the color coming out of the light, it could care less if it gets that color because of a lens or refelector or the bulb.

I can find that site again to back up what i am saying if you make me.

There's a reason why the law is there...

Here's a link that would contradict your statement:

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/interps/o...l__purvis_.htm

PS: The highlighting was already there

Last edited by pfdaxe; 01-31-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

would be violations of Federal law, specifically 49 U.S.C. 30122, if performed by a manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business.
Right there is your awnser.

And

Thus, a replacement turn signal lamp incorporating a clear lens and an amber bulb is permitted by Standard No. 108
As for the red bulb, this was a LONG time ago (8 years to be exact) and they now DO make red bulbs that are fully leagle. Back then, no they didn't. Now everyone does.

So yes it is actually backing me up, not to metion that the one part of it that is not backing me is so outdated it is not legit anymore.

Plus that is from AZ, as i said i only looked up Texas laws. but in the end that is actually backing me up. So thanks for that. :-)
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM

Right there is your awnser.

And

As for the red bulb, this was a LONG time ago (8 years to be exact) and they now DO make red bulbs that are fully leagle. Back then, no they didn't. Now everyone does.

So yes it is actually backing me up, not to metion that the one part of it that is not backing me is so outdated it is not legit anymore.

Plus that is from AZ, as i said i only looked up Texas laws. but in the end that is actually backing me up. So thanks for that. :-)
I have to say your way off on your interpretation:

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/taillamps_all_clear.htm

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm#s5_1_5

And this from current "Texas" law:

§ 547.325. REFLECTORS REQUIRED. (a) Except as
provided by Subchapter F, a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or
pole trailer shall be equipped with at least two red reflectors on
the rear of the vehicle. A red reflector may be included as a part
of a taillamp.
(b) A reflector shall be:
(1) mounted at a height from 15 to 60 inches; and
(2) visible at night at all distances:
(A) from 100 to 600 feet when directly in front of
lawful lower beams of headlamps; or
(B) from 100 to 350 feet when directly in front of
lawful upper beams of headlamps if the vehicle was manufactured or
assembled before January 1, 1972.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

This is why certain manufacturers like Merc and Lexus have 2 red reflectors attached to the rear to be in compliant with Federal standards. When I had all clear tails on my 4 Runner, I used some peel and stick DOT compliant red reflectors on the bottom. Even though some of the dates posted on the legislation are a bit older, they have not changed as they are still current.

Last edited by pfdaxe; 01-31-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
I have to say your way off on your interpretation:

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/taillamps_all_clear.htm

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm#s5_1_5

And this from current "Texas" law:

§ 547.325. REFLECTORS REQUIRED. (a) Except as
provided by Subchapter F, a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or
pole trailer shall be equipped with at least two red reflectors on
the rear of the vehicle. A red reflector may be included as a part
of a taillamp.
(b) A reflector shall be:
(1) mounted at a height from 15 to 60 inches; and
(2) visible at night at all distances:
(A) from 100 to 600 feet when directly in front of
lawful lower beams of headlamps; or
(B) from 100 to 350 feet when directly in front of
lawful upper beams of headlamps if the vehicle was manufactured or
assembled before January 1, 1972.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

This is why certain manufacturers like Merc and Lexus have 2 red reflectors attached to the rear to be in compliant with Federal standards. When I had all clear tails on my 4 Runner, I used some peel and stick DOT compliant red reflectors on the bottom. Even though some of the dates posted on the legislation are a bit older, they have not changed as they are still current.
That link still backs me up, the only thing that is differnt than what i say it still the red bulbs but that is still 7 years old and there are red bulbs now.

As for the reflectors, the lights in question DO have reflectors on them. So yes, i am still right about the Texas laws, as long as the right color is shining out then you are golden. the reflectors are a totally seprate issue BUT the lights i am talking about like i have DO have these so this is a mute point.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

I am not argueing with you per se, i just know that i spent a few days looking all this up and found out that (in Texas anyways) as long as you have the right color in the right place you are fine. The lens color doesn't matter.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 PM

That link still backs me up, the only thing that is differnt than what i say it still the red bulbs but that is still 7 years old and there are red bulbs now.

As for the reflectors, the lights in question DO have reflectors on them. So yes, i am still right about the Texas laws, as long as the right color is shining out then you are golden. the reflectors are a totally seprate issue BUT the lights i am talking about like i have DO have these so this is a mute point.
I'm pretty sure a bulb and a reflector are completely different things. Per the law, it doesn't matter (for the point of this legal aspect) what color light comes out when you apply the brakes, but rather what matters is the color and intensity of the light which is REFLECTED when lights from ANOTHER VEHICLE interact with your taillights...which in this case would be clear, and thus, illegal in the absence of a secondary red reflector.

But at the end of the day, why put altezza lights on a 4runner? Hell I own the American version of the Toyota Altezza and I hate those damned ugly taillights

Quick Reply: Help with LED tail light bulbs, fast flashing like bulbs are burning out