Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help! How do I remove the dash panel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! How do I remove the dash panel?

Hey all,
I'm trying to remove the dash panel from my '90 4Runner. I'm talking about the black piece that goes around the center air vents across the gauge cluster and around the driver's side air vent. I got it out except for a clip down near the right side of the cup holder. Is there a trick to getting this clip out? I spent about 45 min trying all kinds of stuff to get it out. It's being a pain! :confused: I don't want to break the plastic. I'm trying to get to the fan switch so I can either fix it or replace it. Am I going about it the right way? The owners manual doesn't have a thing about removing the dash.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-19-2002, 12:13 PM

I think the problem that you are having is that there is a screw that you did not take out. To get to it, take off the little cover on the A/C air/heat controls. To do this, take a screwdriver and pry it off...VERY CAREFULLY. After you get that off, you will look at the very right top corner of that and there you will see two screws. Take out the top one only and you should be able to get it off. If you have any questions or problems, Joey (UKMyers) did a write up on how to install gauges, and you have to take the dash off to do that. Check that out in the tech section of the forum. Goodluck! :fireman:
Old 10-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks! I'll bet that's it. It's in that exact location. Do I even need to take the dash off to get to the fan switch?
I'll give it a try tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-22-2002, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks you all. I finally got a chance to attack it today. I ended up having to take off all the panels on the dash. I had to take the CD player out to get to the switch which is under the little "module" that holds the other 3 switches and AC button.

I noticed that the fan switch has 2 wires going from the center of it to the light that lights the HVAC display. Am I suppose to cut the wires to pull the switch out? Or, does the switch disconnect in the center of what appears to be 2 sections, one of which has the plug with a bunch of wires on one end, and the other which has the selection lever.

Another question, would the fan switch from a 90-91 pickup, or Previa fit? Advance Auto has the switch for those models but not for the 4Runner. It's about half the price of a dealer.

Thanks for any help. Hope all this makes sense.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-22-2002, 07:57 PM

One way to minimize the damage that could be possibly inflicted upon the A/C cover is to remove the cup holder first. Do this by firmly pulling on it until it gives and comes out. Then you can easily access the A/C cover and whatever is behind it.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Hey all,
Yes, my truck is an SR5. I had to remove all the trim because they all fit behind each other and that was the only way to get to the radio--which I think I had to remove.

On my truck the temp control, the directional control (the button that selects what vents I want air to come out of--not sure what that is called), the fresh air/recirculating air button, and ac button sit in their own little plastic box. The fan switch sort of floats beneath this "box". It is not attacked to it. I tried to get to the fan switch by moving the "box" up and out of the way. I couldn't move it to the right or left because of some dash supports. I couldn't move it up (except for about a 1/2 inch) because of a small plastic screw holder that was in the way. It apparently held part of the top of the dash in place :mad:. I couldn't move it back to get past this plastic screw holder because of a metal cross brace behind the dash. Soooo, that only left getting to the fan switch from below. I removed the CD player and the switch is just hanging there. I did have to work around another plastic cross brace, but that was no big deal. I got it out! Yeay!

If there was another way of getting in there, please enlighten me.
It was kinda a pain to get into it the way I did.

I didn't have to cut the wire like I thought in the first place. This wire comes out of the top of the switch and goes to the light that lights the HVAC display. I guess the new switch comes with a new bulb.

I did find the switch at Advance Auto. At first they said they didn't have the switch. Then I asked if they had it for a 90 or 91 Toyota truck or Previa. They did. While I was looking at some pictures of the part, I noticed another switch that looked just like mine. Sure enough, the guy looked in another catalog and said it would work. I guess I'll see tomorrow when the part comes in.

Well, that's it. Hope that was a little more clear.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-25-2002, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Well, it worked! Yeah! Now I can run my heat and defroster. It fit perfectly and did come with another bulb. Thanks for all you all's help.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 10-25-2002, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet it's always good to hear a success story!
Old 10-26-2002, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

LOL. You all are so encouraging. That was the biggest project I've ever done on my car, so I'm pretty proud of myself. I know its pretty small project compared to what most of you have done, but, hey, I gota start somewhere! You all don't make me feel so dumb. I appreciate that.

Thanks again. Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 05-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stuck fan switch

I have a similar problem, a stuck fan switch in my 1992 4runner.
it will either be on off, or if you really jam it, you can get it to go on full max.
any suggestions for the best way to either fix, or replace this?
thanks a lot
T