Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help on Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on Hitches

I am in the market for a trailer hitch. The main reason, to make a long story short, is so that I can haul bikes. I don't want to spend the $500 on a whole Yakima or Thule rack and bike holders. This is my cheapest option. I want to get a hitch and then a hitch mounted bike carrier. So here is my question:

What is a good type of hitch. I was told to go to Pep Boys, check out Hidden Hitch as well as Drawtite hitches. I don't want something very expensive (Hidden Hitch is $130) and it doesn't have to haul very much. What is a good reliable hitch that I can fit on my 92? I may occasionally haul a smaller trailer, so I would like something that can handle that. What class would I need and what is a good brand? I also have the wire for lights hanging already (whoever had it before me had a hitch and took it when they sold it). Thanks for your help in advance. :fireman:
Old 08-13-2004, 04:43 AM

Drawtite and hidden are both good hitches. I have one on my truck, though I don't remember for sure which one - I believe it's a hidden hitch. Mine is class II because I also tow a boat, but if all you want to do is tow bikes (assuming you mean mountain/road bikes, not MX bikes), then a very basic class I hitch should be fine. You will probably need to buy adapters to go from the smaller class I receiver to a typical 2" hitch carrier.

Have you priced out the hitch carriers yet? A good one is going to set you back at least $300, plus the cost of a hitch ($100-$150), and you're not that far off from the cost of a complete Thule/Yak setup.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a hitch carrier - I absolutely love mine and will never, ever go back to a rooftop setup again, but if you're only doing it because of cost, make sure you've got everything priced out accurately before you make a decision.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:53 AM

I just bought a hidden hitch for my '90 runner.It was about $120.I'm not sure what class it is ,but it's pretty beefy.Do the 4Runners have a stock connector for a trailer wiring harness or do you have to splice in in.Thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Drawtite and hidden are both good hitches. I have one on my truck, though I don't remember for sure which one - I believe it's a hidden hitch. Mine is class II because I also tow a boat, but if all you want to do is tow bikes (assuming you mean mountain/road bikes, not MX bikes), then a very basic class I hitch should be fine. You will probably need to buy adapters to go from the smaller class I receiver to a typical 2" hitch carrier.

Have you priced out the hitch carriers yet? A good one is going to set you back at least $300, plus the cost of a hitch ($100-$150), and you're not that far off from the cost of a complete Thule/Yak setup.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a hitch carrier - I absolutely love mine and will never, ever go back to a rooftop setup again, but if you're only doing it because of cost, make sure you've got everything priced out accurately before you make a decision.
Thanks for the info. I did look into the carriers. The one I was looking at is a Yakima that holds 4 bikes and runs $170. It looks and works pretty slick, so it is probably the way to go. I will have to look into that more once I get more info on a hitch. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:48 PM

when u get a rack. get a sportworks rack!
Attached Thumbnails Help on Hitches-8.8-001.jpg  
Old 08-13-2004, 01:50 PM

another pic
Attached Thumbnails Help on Hitches-8.8-002.jpg  
Old 08-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a Drawtite Ryan.

Very nice hitch, and hidden out of the way.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

EasyLift Hitch

I just installed a hitch on my 1990 4runner. It's made by Easylift the model #for mine was #1965, cost $139 and $20 for the wiring kit. Had to wire it myself, no plug in type kit available. Bolted hitch to frame, one hole was already there on each of the frame rails, had to drill one additional hole on each frame rail. Was easy to install and is totally hidden by the bumper except the reciever part. 500# tongue rating and 5000# tow.
To do the wiring, I had to get behind the interior side panels near the drivers side rear tail light. Had to probe wires to find the right ones, it was a bit time consuming.
I like it because it looks real clean with only the square reciever part showing and the hitch hidden under the truck.
If your truck has a plug type adapter available rather than the small box type adapter, go for the plug in type. Way easier. You need one or the other due to the 4 into 3 wiring deal with the separate yellow turn signals. Some vehicle use the same light for the brake and turn signal, which is easier, but probably won't apply for your toyota.
Good luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:53 PM

I'm in Canada and just bougt a class II Reese hitch for 135 Canadian, at Canadian Tire so that's under 100 US and I installed it in 20 min, no drilling or anything, still haven't got the wire harness though, they want 65$ here, so I'll pick one up in the states next week on vacation. Prices are weird on both sides of the border!!
Old 08-13-2004, 06:00 PM

ill second that ...........i have a reese class III got it for 109 at fleetfarm installed in about an hour ......bolted on had to drill 2 holes in the frame, thats it you probabilly dont have fleet farms out there thought try tractor supply or any place where they sell everything a guy ciould ever need ......a mans mall type place
Old 08-13-2004, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As another option - consider checking out your local salvage yards/ I have one near by that only has Toyotas in it and about 2 dozen 4Runners (mostly 1st and 2nd gen...even a 2 door 2nd gen). I found several hitches underneath 4Runners in the yard. I paid 50 bucks for one that was a bolt on 2" reciever and even installed it while I was sitting in the parking lot of the yard.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:00 AM

If you want a really good bike rack at an incredibly cheap price let me know. I work for Heininger Holdings, LLC, owners of Hitchmate products. Our GlideAWAY is an amazing rack. And if you don't mind one that has a few cosmetic blemishes, I can get you one for $135+shipping. Retail cost on that rack is over $250. Yeah our website sucks, we have a new one that will be up in a week or two. If you want better pictures I can take some at work on Monday. The bike rack extends outward, and can swing to either side. Very good quality rack made out of thick steel and powdercoated.

Hitchmate GlideAWAY Bike rack
Old 08-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

I just got a hitch from a junk yard off another Toyota and bought a fairly inexpensive 4 bike rack for it. I think the rack retails for $250 but I work at a bike shop so I paid a lot less. Here is a pic:
Old 08-23-2004, 09:32 AM

Thanks so much for the help everyone. I just got back from Vacation (Charley got me wet a few days) and am checking back. There are alot of replies and I thank you for that. I have been calling around for prices on some hitches. The main ones stores have are Putnam, Hidden Hitch, Drawtite and Reese. Here is how it is broken down:

Putnam $133.97
3500 wc/4000 wd

Hidden Hitch $204.25
Not sure

Draw-Tite $46.70 (doesn't seem right, but that is what Pep Boys gave me)
3500/3500

Reese $119.88
Not sure

First and foremost is this...is there a difference in the quality, etc. between these hitches and are they all basically the same. Also, I am not sure what the weight distributing/carrying and tongue weight are. Sorry, this is all new to me. Lastly, is it worth getting a Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch (more $$) over the cheaper ones? Are they better or is it just the name. Thanks again in advance.

OneTrickToy-I'll let you know about the rack once I get the hitch. Thanks for the offer.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:57 PM

I have a Hidden Hitch. I'm very pleased with it so far. I used it to winch my truck out of a nasty mudhole and it held up fine. I can't tell you how much it was... Christmas present.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
I have a Hidden Hitch. I'm very pleased with it so far. I used it to winch my truck out of a nasty mudhole and it held up fine. I can't tell you how much it was... Christmas present.
Does your Runner have the tire underneath? I am concerned that a hitch won't fit with the tire underneath. Does it? Thanks...
Old 08-23-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BTOWN4RUNNER
Does your Runner have the tire underneath? I am concerned that a hitch won't fit with the tire underneath. Does it? Thanks...
Yup, sure does. Mine came stock with 225s, so my hitch mounts behind the bumper rather than below it like 31"-equipped Runners.
Attached Thumbnails Help on Hitches-hitch-picture.jpg  
Old 08-23-2004, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by bike4miles
Dear lord, don't tell me you got a hitch rack for a unicycle!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:21 AM

[QUOTE=4RunnerKid]Yup, sure does. Mine came stock with 225s, so my hitch mounts behind the bumper rather than below it like 31"-equipped Runners.[/QUOTE

I just installed my Hidden Hitch saturday($120.00) and it fits great.The only portion you can see is the reciever.My runner came with 31's but my spare is mounted on the tailgate.Is '92 the first year they moved the spare underneath?
Old 08-24-2004, 03:58 AM

Hmm...I'll have to look into that. I just hope that I can get one due to the fact that I have the spare underneath. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Help on Hitches