Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help with head lights

Old 07-12-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with head lights

I have an 02 Taco and most of the time I get behind someone at night, I see them adjusting their mirror to night. Does anyone have the same problem with the beam of the light too high? If so, does anyone know how to adjust them? Any help is appreciated!!!
Old 07-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

The first few months after I got mine I drove to Mammoth for a ski trip and on the darker roads got highbeamed for my regular headlights.

As far as repositioning goes, I kind of like where they are now so I'd leave it as it is. You may want to try just turning on your parking lights and driving with the DRLs only. They're certainly bright enough.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
got highbeamed for my regular headlights.
Thats when you flash your brights right back and show them just how much eyesore you're saving them! But I too have had a few people flash me, but usually when i am coming down a hill .
Old 07-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

oh yeah... done that
Old 07-14-2003, 02:19 AM

Chances are that your headlights are not aimed properly. Either take it in to a dealer, or a mechanic who has the right equipment for proper aimming. Glare from headlights are becoming a problem so much so, that the Federal Department of Transportation is beginning to evaluate to see if they need to change the laws. A lot of compliants are being fielded by them about SUVs, Trucks that have been lifted, and HID's. If people are responsible and get their lights adjusted properly, then that will be one less thing that the government would be trying to control in the way of enforcement/fines.

Last edited by rchavis; 07-14-2003 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

my 2001 had the same prob. With low beams I was always getting flashed, and not by pretty girls. It is very easy, don't take it to the dealer! They'll charge between $15-$30 to turn a screw. Pop the hood and look behind the headlights. There is a long screw sticking out behind one of the cornners of the headlights. I think it is a black screw. The end of it as a bit-shape that is only as narrow as the screw diameter. Find a socket that will fit that bit, it will be a small one. It is too hard to turn it with pliers, so use a socket wrench with a small bit. Turning the screw one way will raise the lights, the other direction will lower them. I'm not sure on what is the proper aiming protocol, but I suggest parking on a flat surface infront of a wall about 10 feet away and shine your low beams. You'll be able to see the level of the beam. Maybe mark that height on the wall so you know where you started from. Turn those screws until the beam has lowered an inch or two for each headlight, and see what you think. It doesn't take much height adjustment at 10 ft to make a big difference out at a distance, so try not to get carried away when lowering them. Hope that helps.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 07-15-2003 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:39 PM

It might not be that your lights are aimed incorrectly either. New cars are being equipped with those brighter bulbs that produce whiter light, and it has a more sudden break between the point that light is projected and light isn't projected. Thats why when these new cars go over bumps or over a hill, or even come up right behind you and shine in your mirror, that they are so bright. The older lamps have a smoother transition. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I don't know of the right verbage. There was an article about it in I think Four Wheeler in one of the issues I bought last year.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
Pop the hood and look behind the headlights. There is a long screw sticking out behind one of the corners of the headlights. The end of it as a bit-shape that is only as narrow as the screw diameter. Find a socket that will fit that bit, it will be a small one. It is too hard to turn it with pliers, so use a socket wrench with a small bit. Turning the screw one way will raise the lights, the other direction will lower them. I'm not sure on what is the proper aiming protocol, but I suggest parking on a flat surface infront of a wall about 10 feet away and shine your low beams. You'll be able to see the level of the beam. Maybe mark that height on the wall so you know where you started from. Turn those screws until the beam has lowered an inch or two for each headlight, and see what you think. It doesn't take much height adjustment at 10 ft to make a big difference out at a distance, so try not to get carried away when lowering them. Hope that helps.
Here are some pics. This is the back of the passenger side headlight on my 2001 Tacoma.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 07-16-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

Oh hey, that's really handy to know!

Maybe I should crank mine UP