Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP! Hard shift/high-pitch vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Hard shift/high-pitch vibration

Okay...I am dealing with an issue that is not inhibiting the proper operation of my runner but it is definitely annoying the crap out of me. I'm sort of a perfectionist...

So, I recently (3k ago) put new 265/70/16 Firestone Destination A/T tires on soon after I purchased the 4runner. I cant seem to remember the first issue I am going to explain prior to the new tires but I am not positive. The problem is this: when accelerating, coasting, slowing down...whatever...at certain speeds i get a repetitive high pitch vibration from the front end. If you are unsure what I mean, it's almost as if it comes and goes with the rotation of the tire...but it doesn't seem as frequent as it should be if this was the case. It happens at different speeds and only at those speeds. Like today, it is around 24-25 miles per hour but its been as low as 10-12 and up to 35ish miles per hour. My first thought was the new tires "singing" if you will, as the new tread wore in...but it hasn't completely resolved itself yet. The change in speeds and how it comes and goes is what makes me what to blame the tires as well since the front tire road contact points differ from making turns (follow me?) Sooo...do yall think my tires are cupped? Firestone has a great warranty and I'm happy to take advantage of it if need be. as I slow down, the frequency of the vibration lessens which says to me it HAS to be something that is rotating.

Also, doesnt matter if i'm heading straight or turning, I can still feel the pulsing vibration in my brake pedal or gas pedal and in the steering wheel.

Either way, I am confused and was seeing if anyone could comment at all. Feel free to ask me to clear anything up, as i would really like to figure this out. Also, my CV boots look fine, recently greased the driveline, and nothing else that i can see looks to be the culprit. Please help...

Second issue is this...i get somewhat of a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd and rarely 1 to 2. It isn't a jolt necessarily but it isnt Toyota's known butter smooth shifting. 3-4 is great, very smooth. Acceleration doesnt change it significantly. I have paperwork from where the Stealer did a tranny flush and fill 10k back, before I owned it. I know this can sometimes whack out a tranny if it loosens gunk up in there previously stuck. But my fluid is bright red and no burn smell. At a loss again and trying to avoid dropping the tranny pan if i dont have to...again, any help is appreciated.

Here's the thing that scares me most...I got 14.5 mpg this last fill up (calculated using the proper method of Odo reading compared to gallons used, especially since I have an affected 2000 model fuel sending unit ). Now this is almost 100% driving in town, but i still expect around 16-17 like my Taco got. Anyone getting around this? I don't have that bad of a lead foot...I just wanted to see if anyone thinks the issues above and the not-so-great of mileage could be related.

Thanks fellas! I appreciate you reading all that (those of you that did) and welcome any help/suggestions.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Almost 50 views and no advice anywhere? Please help YT! I know someone out there has something to say...
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM

Sorry to bump my own thread but Id really like to see if ANYONE can comment on it and offer any advice...PLEASE!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Man thats alot off issues all I can say is

1. sounds like someone did not properly balance your tires if you can feel vibrations coming and going with the wheels turning ever since you got the new tires
2. do you have a check engine light? tanny solenoids can fail, but will throw a code if they do (po700's). Fluid could be dirty, but do yourself a favor and don't have your tranny flushed, it just kills them faster. Change the fluid a few times and see what happens, maybe man up and drop the pan to do the filter and magnet
3. What engine are you running? about 15mpg sounds about right for strictly in town driving
Old 07-12-2010, 05:01 PM

Ah HA! Solved Problem #2....It was the throttle kickdown cable being too tight. I just loosened it up as I was doing a little reading and thought this could be a contributer to the problem. Started it up, drove down the street and no hard shifts, just that butter smooth shifting I sought after. Thought this would be helpful if anyone else had similar issues...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 PM

silly question, but did you have a four wheel alignment done when you swapped tires??
Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM

Yep, sure did.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 PM

that's a strange issue. my '86 used to do that, tho only higher up in speed, i always assumed it was the tread on my BFG's... glad you got the shifting thing figured out, tho. i'll keep my gears turning... good luck!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 AM

I think I know what you mean. . . kind of like if your wheel was wobbling, only it's oscillating at a fraction of the speed the wheel is traveling right? I've experienced that too at times, but I'm not sure what's causing it.