Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help on fabbing front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help on fabbing front bumper

well i am going to be building a front bumber to mount some driving lights on my 8o pickup, and i need som ideas, i kind of want the bull bar look but i don;t want it to be soo low, i was thinking of coming out of my valance off the rad support and from and then have a tube arcoss and then another tube that kind od follows my grill up and around and have the lights in the middle,
i just want some support in the front but i don;t want a huge bumper, i will not be wheeling my truck too much, i just got it all painted so i will be taking car of it, also i am making a rear bumper too but i already know what i am doing there, so if anybody has and pics or ideas for the front that would be great, thanks
cody
Old 10-25-2004, 07:25 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
http://www.roadarmor.com/ra3/ford_trucks.html

Click on the blue bumper in the pics... :pat:
Old 10-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's what I welded up. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...87536658rVHJHT

It is a factory Toyota brush guard welded to a TJM T-17, plus a little extra bracing.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
http://www.roadarmor.com/ra3/ford_trucks.html

Click on the blue bumper in the pics... :pat:

nice bumper but i don;t even think my truck can carry that much steel, lol
Old 10-25-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Here's what I welded up. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...87536658rVHJHT

It is a factory Toyota brush guard welded to a TJM T-17, plus a little extra bracing.

i really like the look of your bumper, but i want to keep and stock bumper on and make an add-on i want to keep some chrome on the truck, but i don;t want this bumper to wrap around at all, just in the middle,
oh and did you powdercoat your bumper or just paint it?
thanks
cody
Old 10-25-2004, 12:20 PM

These Four Real Bumpers have always been my favorite!

Old 10-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Demello makes a light bar that comes through the valence on the Tacos. I know you don't have a Taco but it might give you some ideas.

http://demello-offroad.com//catalog/...0bar%20002.jpg

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by MxPx_Reaver
These Four Real Bumpers have always been my favorite!

Those are nice,but aren't they about the same price as an ARB or TJM?
Old 10-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

those road armor bumpers make me want a super duty. That thing looks like a tank!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Banned

those four real bumpers dont look like bumpers at all, are they worthy of a hit? look like a lightbar, especially since they use the original bumper...
Old 10-26-2004, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Memphis_Yota
i really like the look of your bumper, but i want to keep and stock bumper on and make an add-on i want to keep some chrome on the truck, but i don;t want this bumper to wrap around at all, just in the middle,
oh and did you powdercoat your bumper or just paint it?
thanks
cody
It was Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating (about $6.50/rattle can at Walwart or Autozone) it is a little flat so I top coated it with SEM Chip Guard in satin black. The SEM product is a specialty auto paint for rocker panels and high abrasion areas on cars. It is about $12 for a can and you can find it at auto painting supply stores. It has a slight texture to it but not nearly as much as the Truck Bed coating. The SEM Chip Guard also comes in clear but I had a problem with the clear turning milky as it went on. No problem though with the black. Practice first on some scrap metal to make sure you can get to look you want. I practiced on my skid plate first as it needed painting anyway. My skid plate now has about a 1/8 inch coating on it. Total I spent about $70 on paint for the bumper and the skid plate, but I think I put too much on. If I was to do it again I would go thinner on the Truck Bed Coating, as it is very hard to get an even texture the thicker you put it on.

The Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating is also available in quart and gal sizes and I tried running it though a regular spray gun with pretty good results. The stuff is very hard to clean out of the spray gun though.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 92 Toyota
Those are nice,but aren't they about the same price as an ARB or TJM?
I don't like the look of these bumpers, a buddy of mine has got one and it looks to small for the truck, i like them on jeeps but still the tubing seems kinda small, i just want something to be in the middle for some support and for mounting some lights, thanks tho

Mt_goat
thanks for the info, sounds like good stuff, i used some simular stuff for underneath my box and frame when i got my truck painted, and your right 1/8 inch is pretty thick, the thicker the paint the bigger the chips are i think i am just goint to powdercoat my bumpers but your looks real sharp, it has a nice texter to it
cody
Old 10-28-2004, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Memphis_Yota

Mt_goat
thanks for the info, sounds like good stuff, i used some simular stuff for underneath my box and frame when i got my truck painted, and your right 1/8 inch is pretty thick, the thicker the paint the bigger the chips are i think i am just goint to powdercoat my bumpers but your looks real sharp, it has a nice texter to it
cody
Keep in mind that powercoating requires you to strip down to bare metal if it's not already.