Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help! digital climate control 99 limited

Old 10-22-2005, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! digital climate control 99 limited

Hey guys it has been a while since I had a chance to check out yotatech, I have started dumping all my money in my nitro monster rc truck.

Any way I have a 99 limited with the digital climate control. The green back light has gone out on it but the black writing is still there. It has 2 blues because one side went out like 3 months before the other side did. The buttons around the screen still light up fine, It is just the screen that will not light up green. Durring the day it is fine but I cant see anything at night. Anyone had this problem them selves and can you replace the back light bulb or do you have to replace the whole sceen.

thanks for you help. I have looked at it and cant see anyway to get to them. I dont want to go get burned at the stealership eighter.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:35 AM

i have this problem... i guess i'll do a step by step writeup on how to do it with pics... as it seems everyone with a 99 is having this problem... NOW lol
Old 10-22-2005, 06:36 AM

how much did it cost you to fix it and how hard was it.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:41 AM

i haven't done it yet, i'm going to pull it apart and see if i can find the bulbs at radioshack instead of toy parts.

btw - look about 1/2 a page down at this =o
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/killed-2nd-gen-now-3rd-gen-potential-69884/
and read down...
Old 10-22-2005, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

actually i had the same problem before stupid me i paid a stealership to have it done for me cause i wasnt sure about the bulbs at the time. the part # should be 81850-35030. for that 8 dollar bulb they charged me 82 dollars in labor. its really really easy to take apart and i had done so but i payed just to know the part because stupid dealerships dont want to give out info around here. hope this helps.

Last edited by Lone4runner; 10-22-2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:10 AM

well, i need to take mine apart and head up to radioshack haha... hopefully there or autozone will have the bulb...

i also have the stupid problem of the buttons not working sometimes
Old 10-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crappled
well, i need to take mine apart and head up to radioshack haha... hopefully there or autozone will have the bulb...

i also have the stupid problem of the buttons not working sometimes
let us know if you find them anywhere BUT the dealer. They are like $8 bulbs each
Old 10-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://candidotapia.tripod.com/id14.html

Auto CLimate Control light bulb location/replacement

The auto climate control in the 99-01 Toyota 4Runner Limited has (4) replacable bulbs. (2) light up the LCD display and the other (2) light up the following buttons: Auto, Out/T, Mode, *Off, A/C & the outer rotorary controls.

81850-35020 LCD Display Bulb
81850-35030 Background bulb for the rotary/function buttons

In addition to the above (4) bulbs there are (5) LEDs (not user serviceble) that light up each button when they are activated. The LEDs that are directly soldered to the PCB assembly and not meant to be replaced by end user.

To replace any of the bulbs listed above, you will need to remove the entire climate control out of the dash and dissamble it in order to replace the bulbs. (Dont panic, its not that bad as it sounds!!).

Accessing the dash

In order to access the dash you will need to remove the cup holder plastic assembly piece, the gear trim panel and the dash trim.

1. Start by opening the center console door. The cup holder is then removed by gently pulling it up.

2. Next the gear trim panel is removed in the same fashion. If your model is a 4WD model then pay attention the plastic around the 4WD lever. This snaps out from trim by lightly tugging on it.

3. Finally, the dash piece is removed by gently pulling on it. There a (5) clips that hold the trim to the dash. I found that starting from the bottom and working your way up does the trick.

4. Once the dash piece is out, you will need to disconnect all of the connectors. All of these are quick disconnect, so just press on a tab and they are released. Remember to double check that they are all back in when the dash piece before placing it back.

Removing the Climate Control

1. Prior to removing it determine which bulb is bad by turning the ignition on and noticing which area is dim.

2. There are (3) screws that secure the climate control to the dash. (2) on the passenger side and (1) the drivers side. Remove all (3) with a phillips screwdriver.

3. The climate control should just come out at this point. Next disconnect the (2) electrical connectors (quick disconnect) behind the climate control.

4. Remove the (2) phillip screws (located behind the black control/trim) that secure the entire LCD/Black trim to the actual control box.

5. This should give you access the front of the PCB (Printed Circuit Board).

6. The replaceable bulbs are identified as PL1, PL2, PL3 and PL4. PL1 and PL2 are the larger ones (display bulbs). PL2 and PL3 smaller bulbs (light up the remaining of the buttons).

7. The bulbs are removed by turning them clockwise with your hand or a small flatblade screwdriver.

8. Insert the new bulb, re-connenct the (2) quick disconnects from step 3 and turn the ignition ON to test.

9. Put everything back together by Reversing the process and you're done!!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Good writeup from a former yotatech-er, CTapia.

my bulbs lasted 5 years - I replaced them last year. The dealers have a hard time finding the right part numbers on their catalog system. Take the part numbers in with you. I had two go out at almost the same time, so I just bought all new bulbs and replaced them all and kept the good ones as spares for about 4 years from now when they start to burn out again.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:48 AM

thanks guys the exact info I needed. Yeah the dealership around here doent know anything. They could not even tell me if it could be fixed until I paided them to look at it.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:11 PM

Take it apart and bring the f up bulb to radioshack. I spent maybe $3 to fix this problem. it's really easy.