Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help diagnosing strange noise/issue? (3rd Gen 4Runner)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help diagnosing strange noise/issue? (3rd Gen 4Runner)

I have had a strange noise coming from the front end of my truck off and on for a few years now. It seems to come from the front drivers side. It sounds more or less like a bad bearing of some sort as it squeals and sounds like metal on metal.

It only happens once the truckis warmed up, typically after 100 miles or so on the highway or 30 miles of windy mtn roads. I assumed it to be wheel bearing so I replaced the driver side wheel bearing but the noise was still there. While I was replacing the wheel bearing I checked the disc brake dust shields to be sure they weren't rubbing the rotors and they were good.

Fast forward to a week ago. I'm deep into a road trip and the noise has been steady for a few hundred miles. I hit a snow storm and engage 4WD, The sound instantly stops. I've run the truck in 4wd plenty of times since the problem started but never in any situation that would cause the noise to start in the first place so until then I had few clues. I began to narrow down the source of the sound but still I'm not positive. I can only imagine it has something to do with the ADD system, specifically the sleeve maybe? The only strange thing is the ADD assembly is on the passenger side of the diff and the noise sounds very much like it's originating on the driver side.

Anybody have similar experiences or just any ideas?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 AM

Any ideas?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Might be your bumper. I think you should give it to me and then you'll be okay.

I've had so many freaking noises coming out of my front end... This is what I had to do to get rid of them all:

1) Lube all zirks
2) pull away my caliper "dust guard" from the rotor
3) Tighten my swaybar end links
4) Tweak my cotter pin on the axle nut (was grinding against the hub dust cover)
5) bend out the outer "sleeve" on my CV where it attaches to the spindle
6) Tighten down my top nut on the strut assembly
7) Remove a screwdriver from my top end of my engine (just kidding)
Old 02-03-2006, 12:59 PM

Thing is I've lubed everything and checked everything I can think of....
Old 02-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Well for one thing to help is that exterior noises often get bounced around by the time it gets to your ear sticking out the drivers side window. When i had a squeal from my rear u joint i could have put money down that it was coming from the drivers side front. but once i opened the door and stuck my head down towards the ground the location became clear. Is there any speed that it frequents at? or just after 100miles of driving. If it happens at any speeds, once it starts push the passenger out and get them to listen. Maybe its even a dust shield?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

If you haven't already, put the front end on jackstands and spin the wheels by hand. If you can hear it, at least you're close enough to get a better diagnosis.
Good luck..
Old 02-03-2006, 03:34 PM

Godzilla-

It's not speed specific, it just seems to start after the truck is good and really warmed up. I know what you mean about the source of the sound being hard to accurately determine. The sound is what made me first try the dust shield and wheel bearings but now that I've figured out it's a 2wd/4wd issue I've eliminated more options but there still are plenty of potential culprits.

Golden-

I have jacked the front up and hand spun everything around to no avail. It only seems to do it under load.

I am going to meet with my mechanic on monday morning. He's a solid wrench so hopefully we can get it sorted. I am lucky to have such a great local resource. The shop I go to are a 2-man Toyota only operation that do solid work for very reasonable prices. I've consulted with them before on this matter but we couldn't find the source. Hopefully now we can get to the bottom of it.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Are you talking about Marty and Denver over at imported truck service?

If so those guys are awesome.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:04 AM

Actually I never had a chance to develop a relationship with a wrench in SC but I go to this shop John Howe West, in Goleta that is the best I've found hands down. They are so honest and reliable it's ridiculous.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Oh okay

Thats funny because Marty and Denver are a father son shop that only work on Toyota trucks (also Nissans). Denver has a gnarly 1st gen pickup made for hollister.

They are really reliable and cool.... so if you are in SC and need some help definetly look up Imported Truck Service.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
7) Remove a screwdriver from my top end of my engine (just kidding)
lol this is what i've found(8mm wrench) between wheelwell dustguard after about a year of wondering where the sqeek was coming from. I felt like a dumbass because i've even considered getting a different car/truck
Old 02-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

haha thats funny. Sort of

My friend told me he dropped a wench down into his oil duct and had to pull out his entire top end. This was down in Baja nontheless. This was back in the 70s and I guess he was working on his carb or something. Not sure what he did.