Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help diagnosing an A340F transmission

Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help diagnosing an A340F transmission

The vehicle is a 2000 Limited with a remote B&M transmission filter system, AMS Ea015 spin-on filter, B&M 70264 transmission cooler and AMS synthetic transmission fluid. For the past month or so I have noticed it frequently shifts a bit rough between 1st and 2nd and on a few occations between 2nd and 3rd but never between 3rd and 4th or when the torque converter kicks in. I haven't been able to distinguish any pattern with the slightly rough shifting either. Also, I just finished a 1,200 mile trip from Dallas to St. Louis for Christmas with the in-laws and felt the transmission slip about 500 rpm 4-5 times while the cruise was set (torque engaged). Got a ScanGauge II last week and haven't seen a transmission fluid temp above 170 since installation. Fluid was changed within the last 10k and when I put on the new AMS filter last week the fluid look just as bright red as when I put it in.

Haven't thrown any error codes yet so I don't have any hard evidence, just the symptoms above. I'll continue searching the forum to see what information I can find. Don't know too much about transmissions so any advise or information would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles are on it?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 AM

Just hit 150k.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 AM

you are checking your fluid properly, right?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM

I believe so. I just checked it after driving home. The ScanGauge II said the fluid temp was 134 when I turned it off and the level on the dip stick was up to the H in "HOT".
Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Leviticus6432... Thanks for the information on the other thread. Sounds like the best plan would be to rebuild it while I am doing all of the other 150K maintenance. What would I need to have for the proper "shop" for this rebuild? Also, what parts would I need to have? Does Toyota sell a rebuild kit for this transmission?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

First off find a trustworthy shop to do the work, they can order all the parts you need, that is the best idea that way they are responsible if they order the wrong parts.

I would upgrade to the raybestos high energy clutches while you are in there, they will last longer.

Otherwise the shop should take care of everything else. You will need ~14 quarts of transmission fluid to fill it back up as well. I recommend the AMSoil fluid.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM

My usual tendency is to go with Toyota OEM parts. However, I will look into the Raybestos.

Texas_Ace, do you happen to know any trustworthy transmission shops here in the DFW area?

Depending on cost of repair at a shop, tools that I would need, parts, level of difficulty, etc., I would personally like to do the rebuild myself. With that in mind, how complicated is a rebuild? Are there any special tools required?

Leviticus6432 had mentioned that the parts would run about $500, which is within my budget. I'll call some shops around town and get some proces and go from there. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GreenArrow19
My usual tendency is to go with Toyota OEM parts. However, I will look into the Raybestos.

Texas_Ace, do you happen to know any trustworthy transmission shops here in the DFW area?

Depending on cost of repair at a shop, tools that I would need, parts, level of difficulty, etc., I would personally like to do the rebuild myself. With that in mind, how complicated is a rebuild? Are there any special tools required?

Leviticus6432 had mentioned that the parts would run about $500, which is within my budget. I'll call some shops around town and get some proces and go from there. Thanks again for all the help!
For the rest of the parts use OEM if you can but the clutches themselves, might as well get the better stuff while in there.

If you are in the DFW area I used AA lonestar transmission for my rebuild http://www.aalonestartransmissions.com/index.html

They did a good job on the rebuild from what I can tell so far and the price is right too. I am dropping the truck off next week to have them adjust the valve body hopefully for the last time but it is getting there.

If you go with them I would recommend you have them work the valve body over some, makes for a much better feeling truck and no more lazy shifts. If you are supercharged or plan to be, have the valve body done for SURE.

I am a do it myself kinda guy too but an automatic transmission is just something I am not willing to have a go at unless I am not worried about being out the cost of the tranny and use of the truck. TONS of parts in there and they all have to be installed just right. I would just have it done for you and these guys did a good job for a good price.

Are you supercharged?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
For the rest of the parts use OEM if you can but the clutches themselves, might as well get the better stuff while in there.

If you are in the DFW area I used AA lonestar transmission for my rebuild http://www.aalonestartransmissions.com/index.html

They did a good job on the rebuild from what I can tell so far and the price is right too. I am dropping the truck off next week to have them adjust the valve body hopefully for the last time but it is getting there.

If you go with them I would recommend you have them work the valve body over some, makes for a much better feeling truck and no more lazy shifts. If you are supercharged or plan to be, have the valve body done for SURE.

I am a do it myself kinda guy too but an automatic transmission is just something I am not willing to have a go at unless I am not worried about being out the cost of the tranny and use of the truck. TONS of parts in there and they all have to be installed just right. I would just have it done for you and these guys did a good job for a good price.

Are you supercharged?
You have affirmed everything that I have read between my last post and now. Doing a transmission rebuild is not anything I want to touch. WAY to complex and requires far to much specialty equipment.

Thanks for the reference. I will be calling them tomorrow. The price on the website of $375 for master rebuild kit and labor seems to seal the deal on having them do the rebuild. Hopefully, I caught it early enough that nothing beyond what is included the master rebuild kit would be needed. I figure I'll be looking at around $800 ($375 for the kit and labor, $200 for removal and installation, $200 ensuring it is all OEM and Raybestos). That sound about right to you?

Now, tell me more about this valve body adjustment. I am not supercharged and don't have any plans to be, though I am not opposed to it I'm learning more and more about transmissions because, to be honest, I know very little. Does it make the shifting more aggressive? What is the advantage to have a more aggressive shift? Also, what was the ball park figure for having this shop work on the valve body?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GreenArrow19
You have affirmed everything that I have read between my last post and now. Doing a transmission rebuild is not anything I want to touch. WAY to complex and requires far to much specialty equipment.

Thanks for the reference. I will be calling them tomorrow. The price on the website of $375 for master rebuild kit and labor seems to seal the deal on having them do the rebuild. Hopefully, I caught it early enough that nothing beyond what is included the master rebuild kit would be needed. I figure I'll be looking at around $800 ($375 for the kit and labor, $200 for removal and installation, $200 ensuring it is all OEM and Raybestos). That sound about right to you?

Now, tell me more about this valve body adjustment. I am not supercharged and don't have any plans to be, though I am not opposed to it I'm learning more and more about transmissions because, to be honest, I know very little. Does it make the shifting more aggressive? What is the advantage to have a more aggressive shift? Also, what was the ball park figure for having this shop work on the valve body?
That price on the website is the base price for a simple say civic tranny. Ours are a bit more complicated. My rebuild costs me $1000 with all the best parts they could find to use inside it and including the valve body work. In your case you would not need as aggressive valve body work but cost would be about the same.

Install/removal will cost extra. Still way better then any other shop I talked to, they were quoting me $3k for a tranny job.

The valve body controls the way the transmission shifts. The stock shifts are very lazy and where almost all the wear on these transmissions come from.

If you mod the valve body it will make the shifts more positive and IMO, makes it a LOT more fun to drive. Also lesson wear and tear on the clutches. It is not a must for a stock truck but for the little they charged for it, I would have it done. If you are a guy that has never gone WOT in the 4runner you may not care for it, I wish I had done it years ago.

Tell them the guy with the supercharged 4runner sent you, They will know who you are talking about lol.