Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP! Car doesn't start now..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Car doesn't start now..........

Ok I tried replacing my bulbs in my headlight, and after putting one side in I wanted to see the difference. Well I try to start my car, and it doesn't start now!!! I unhooked the negative battery terminal before I started everything.

Now when I put the key in, I can go to the electrical part, headlights work fine, radio works fine, dome light works fine. So I don't think it's a battery problem. But when I turn the key to start it, I get a click, then a buzzing sound (really fast clicking sound) from the fuse box up front behind the battery. I'm thinkin I blew a fuse somehow, but I don't know how to check, and my truck doesn't start so I can't drive it to anywhere. When I left I tried using the alarm, nope doesn't work. Then I tried the auto lock button inside, nope, I get some where clicking sound again.

So.......what do I do????
Old 09-28-2003, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Re: HELP! Car doesn't start now..........

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Ok I tried replacing my bulbs in my headlight, and after putting one side i... ...doesn't work. Then I tried the auto lock button inside, nope, I get some where clicking sound again.

So.......what do I do????
check the cartridge fuses under the hood. do all the gauge lights and stereo and everything work just the starter doesn't crank? Check this fuse: JCASE 30A fuse marked AM2

the fast clicking you here is a relay.

Last edited by keisur; 09-28-2003 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow... okay, so I guess you don't need me to help you through things on your other thread.

I have no idea what could have happened... You know you have power, since electrical things work. You know that you didn't short out the hedlamp wiring harness since the lamps work.

The Superwhites will draw more current than the stock bulbs, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you're trying to start the truck with the lamps on.

Keisur has the only idea I can think of. But, if you find that the fuse is blown, then remember that _something_ happened to cause it to blow. A blown fuse is just a reaction to something gone wrong and a cause of a symptom, not the cause of a problem.

Mark
Old 09-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by midiwall
A blown fuse is just a reaction to something gone wrong and a cause of a symptom, not the cause of a problem.

Mark
The reason mine blew was that I was too proud to disconnect the battery while hooking up my lightforce offroad lights. when I tapped into the power it popped the fuse.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:45 PM

ok well I just finished cleaning the battery terminals and clamps with a mixture of baking soda and water.

Now the auto lock on the doors work. But when I turn the key there's a LOUD sound coming from the middle of the engine bay, sounds inside lower somewhere. this time a loud constant fast clicking sound. just like a wood pecker.......sorta. but the little clicking sound is still coming from side fuse box as well.

Another thing was weird was when I walked out to the car after posting the thread, my alarm was going off like crazy.

Lastly, the "new" bulbs I tried putting in where just ordinary bulbs I believe. I think he just put his old oem bulbs in the piaa case and taped it up. Wow I feel stupid......all this and I still don't have new mods.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:01 PM

I should say I disconnected the red terminal, which I thought was negative, but there are ppl telling me it's positive. But I don't think that would affect anything

edit: All the terminals are in the correct places. I just thought red was negative in my head. I did everything accordingly, I put both clamps on the correct sides. Red on left, Black on right.

Last edited by Toyo_Runner96; 09-28-2003 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:58 PM

ok problem found I think, we tried jumping it and it started.

So...it's the battery.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

ok problem found I think, we tried jumping it and it started.

So...it's the battery.
They battery should also have a "+" and "-" in raised symbols by the posts. you want to make sure you disconnect the black next time.

When you were turning the key, were the lights dimming ? that's usually an indication of the battery giving up the ghost. and the starter not turning over?

also, is your 4runner a manual tranny or auto? if it's a manual like mine, you can just put it in neutral, push it from the drivers door (yes, stand outside and push like the Flintstones) and then once you get moving pretty good, jump back in and stand on the clutch, throw it in 2nd or 3rd and pop the clutch. that will turn the engine over and should start it.

Also, are you sure your alternator is in good shape? if your battery is relatively new the alternator might be on it's way out and not charging the battery.

Last edited by keisur; 09-28-2003 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:20 PM

the lights looked fine to me, however the dash looked like it was dimming, and by the time I got out the second after jumping the battery, I could see the dim light slowly dying. I'm just glad it's the battery and not the starter or alternator or anything like that.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

the lights looked fine to me, however the dash looked like it was dimming, and by the time I got out the second after jumping the battery, I could see the dim light slowly dying. I'm just glad it's the battery and not the starter or alternator or anything like that.
how old is the battry?
Old 09-28-2003, 05:50 PM

not that old at all, had it replaced probably a year ago.

I think it's cuz of my subs, they're really ghetto wired where I have the subs and the amp goin straight to the stereo.

But what I'm confused about is how it just suddenly died. It was totally fine just 10 minutes before.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

I had the same problem with my 4Runner a couple of years ago. I think the battery had partially shorted out. It seemed to work fine with a small load (interior lights, radio, etc), but as soon as I tried to start it, everything dimmed and I heard the same clicking. I had the battery replaced under warranty (it was about a year and a half old) and haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:55 PM

yea I think mine's under warranty too, so I'm gonna check it out tommorrow
Old 09-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

But what I'm confused about is how it just suddenly died. It was totally fine just 10 minutes before.
that's what I was thinking too.

You should think about dumping the week stock-like batteries and drop in an Optima Red Top. It'll last about 3 times longer and it's all around a better battery.

Were you playing the stereo with the car off while doing the work under the hood? I sometimes do that but my Optima Blue Top always cranks my runner right up.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:24 AM

Nope, no playing with the stereo or anything.

Yea I really want to get an Optima, but if my stock battery is warranteed then I'm gonna save the $$ right now and stick with the warranty.

Thanks for your help Keisur!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:33 AM

didn't they discontinue the blue tops? I thought those were marine ones.

BTW, glad you got your rig running again rob
Old 09-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by INsr5runner
didn't they discontinue the blue tops? I thought those were marine ones.

BTW, glad you got your rig running again rob
discontinued is news to me.

Blue Tops are just more abuseable Yellow Tops. basically they are the same but the Blue Tops have more resistance to vibrations, which is good for our wheeling 4runners.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:44 AM

Keisur, how much do those run approximately?
Old 09-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by INsr5runner
Keisur, how much do those run approximately?
got mine for 150 at Costco.