Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

[HELP] ARB compressor leaking oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[HELP] ARB compressor leaking oil?

Hey guys,

I searched and found this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...eedback-27145/

Read on to confirm for me and offer any advice pls!

I had an ARB rear locker installed in my 02 4Runner back in August by a 4x4 shop here in CO. After a few months, I started noticing oil on the floor of my garage and traced it back up to the compressor in the engine compartment.

After taking it back, little did I know that the reason the compressor was cycling every minute was because it had a crack in it. They replaced it and said that WAS also the reason it was leaking oil.

A month goes by, oil again coming from the compressor. Now I'm really annoyed. Take it back in and they say compressor is fine, the hose is fine. WTH? They proceed to tell me that I have to turn the compressor and locker on often to keep the oil down??? I thought this locker was "use as needed" and didn't require so called "maintenance". I'm no mechanic but that can't be right.

So I did what they said, and been turning it on and off often. Well, oil is on the garage floor again today.

That thread I posted seems to point at 2 possibilities - pinched O ring and/or too small vent line. Does this seem to fit my situation? I know the 4x4 shop will fix it but this time when I go in, I want to have an arguement ready just in case

Any help appreciated,
Rob
Old 01-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, you want to actuate it every now and then to keep the seals lubed up. Also check your diff breather and make sure its not clogged up. I had a leak once that left a spot on the garage floor but it hasn't returned since I started actuating it more frequently.

Its also a good idea to put it into 4wd every now and then. Read this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/d...th-4wd-134146/
Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 AM

How often though, should I acutate it? I was doing this almost every morning before leaving work a few times, and then let a week go by and the oil leak returned. Seems to me maybe once a month should be fine, no?

Yup, I've read that thread and being winter here in CO I've been in 4WD alot.

Thanks Goat for the help.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ARB air compressors do not have oil. They are "oilless" The oil you are leaking is gear oil from the differential.

Check out "Joe's" post in the thread you linked for a fix.

Last edited by Adam F; 01-19-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 PM

Adam, yeah I know the oil is coming back up the line and coming out the compressor. But I'm just going to print that fix and take it in.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89-4run
How often though, should I acutate it? I was doing this almost every morning before leaving work a few times, and then let a week go by and the oil leak returned. Seems to me maybe once a month should be fine, no?

Yup, I've read that thread and being winter here in CO I've been in 4WD alot.

Thanks Goat for the help.
The time mine leaked I had gone about 6 months without using it. I think once or twice a month would be enough. When I do it, I cycle on-off a number of times. It could be that your diff breather is clogged, if so the ARB line becomes the breather and oil backs up into the line.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Adam, yeah I know the oil is coming back up the line and coming out the compressor. But I'm just going to print that fix and take it in.
Yeah actually it comes out of the air dump valve attached to the compressor manifold.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
The time mine leaked I had gone about 6 months without using it. I think once or twice a month would be enough. When I do it, I cycle on-off a number of times. It could be that your diff breather is clogged, if so the ARB line becomes the breather and oil backs up into the line.

That's acceptable to me, couple times a month, much like using your 4WD. I was flipping it on and off 3 times in the morning every day or other day - more than enough.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

That's acceptable to me, couple times a month, much like using your 4WD. I was flipping it on and off 3 times in the morning every day or other day - more than enough.
Oh yeah, more than enough. If your diff breather isn't clogged, a seal may be bad, hopefully its the seal that easy to get to.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:19 PM

Awesome, thanks guys for the advice.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 AM

Fellas,
I've become extremely frustrated with my ARB Air Locker. My 4Runner has to go back in for the 5th time for repairs on the ARB locker within 18 months. My truck is puking up diff oil AGAIN via the compressor. I made it 8 months this time, but before that it was every 2-3 months. The 4x4 company is reputable (at least to me), and will be stripping everything out again and checking all components so I can't fault them too much.

WTF IS happening? In my conversation with the 4x4 shop this morning, the shop manager immediately blamed the pre-load (I think thats what he said) this time? I don't know crap about this stuff, but he said that maybe 4Runners need more than usual?? They have done many installs in 4Runners before, so its not like they don't know what they are doing.

They've worked on the diff breather, replaced seals, new compressor, new everything like 3 times now. Do any of you know if there are any "tricks" the mechanics should know about ARB's in 2002 4Runners? I'm clueless...

Aarrrrrrrgghhhhhh, I swear my 4runner is cursed. For all that is holy.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Mine's been leaking out a little, I've just been living with it so far. My engine bay is a little oily under the compressor manifold but its not enough to drip on the ground. How much is your's puking?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 AM

I took some pictures (I can post tonight), but its all the way down the engine bay, onto the frame rail, then its about a silver dollar sized glob on the garage floor after one day. My leak is bad enough where it doesn't stop, I have to keep cleaning the garage floor...

I'm assuming the locker doesn't work if the line is filled with diff oil right? I tried flipping it on and usually I hear the air pressure from disengaging, but it's dead silent like nothing was ever engaged.

I have engaged it a few times during the winter, but not like I'm turning it on and off daily or weekly for that matter. ARB has assured me that shouldn't be the case.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 AM

ARB has a purge valve kit to remove oil from the lines. I'm going to get one before I start having any oil leak problems.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 AM

Does that kit imply this is a "feature" or a problem? To me, I always thought ARB, as a selectable locker, was install and forget. Use it when you need it. Not babysit it every month.

How long have you had your ARB cad?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cadman
ARB has a purge valve kit to remove oil from the lines. I'm going to get one before I start having any oil leak problems.
Great info Cadman, thanks! I found this decription:
Purge Valve allows air to activate locker buts stops axle oil travelling back up pipe to pump. Typical application is with low ratio diffs used on road, e.g. 4.75 Land Rover running at 70mph long distance. Suits any axle as fitting is with ARB's 5mm blue pipe.
That is me, 5.29 gearing and high speeds
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

More info:

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/on...uides/4-04.pdf
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 AM

mt_goat - how long have you had your arb lockers? how often are they engaged? whats the longest you've gone without engaging them?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 AM

I was told that when the air collar is fit onto the carrier side of the locker, improper installation would be the main reason for error. The fact is the collar uses 2 o-ring seals and if one of those is pinched during installation, it will either cause oil to return up the line when the locker dis-enguages or the locker wont work and air will be pouring into the axle housing. I would guess that this is the origin of your faults, and would have them check this. I guess that if the o-ring is leaking inside the housing- and the diff breather is plugged, these both could lead to excess oil traveling up into the lines therefore letting the axle breath through the compressor. This would explain why oil is getting up to the compressor through the lines when you in-fact didn't even activate the compressor in the first place.

I would bring this up to the 4x4 shop.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

mt_goat - how long have you had your arb lockers? how often are they engaged? whats the longest you've gone without engaging them?
I first got a rear ARB in about 96, but I sold that one and got a new front and rear in about 2001. I guess the longest I went without engaging it would have been while I was doing my 3.4 swap which took about 6 months of down time.

I try to engage them everytime I think of it, maybe once every month or 2.

Quick Reply: [HELP] ARB compressor leaking oil?