Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help! 98T4R Rear Bilstein coils, lateral rods disconnected on both sides..oops

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 98T4R Rear Bilstein coils, lateral rods disconnected on both sides..oops

Hi I am hoping someone can guide me on the order of next steps. I have a 1998 4runner "Limited" (so no LSP & BV valve...per yotatech search)

In order to get the rear Bilstein HDs, I disconnect the Lateral Rod on driver's side, and raised the frame (with the tire on the ground) in order to fit the new shock but was not able to get the coil because I did not disconnect the stabilizer bar bushing bracket (my stupidity). As it was getting late, I went ahead and did the passenger side without first connecting the "lateral Rod" on the driver side. Now, even though both shocks are in both lateral rods are disconnected.

In order to do the coils, should I:

1. Disconnect the lower shock bolt, disconnect the "Stabilizer bar bushing bracket" on one side and raise the the frame until the coil falls off, or would it not allow pivoting since the Lateral rod is disconnected on both sides?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50011705@N07/7206633940/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50011705@N07/7206633470/

Last edited by mazaa; 05-15-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: images
Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 AM

Hi guys I really need some direction here, I am in crises mod

This morning I tried to lift the axel trying to get the lateral rod back in but now my drive shaft has disengaged in b/w, and is now in two pieces. It appears that the new shocks has pushed the whole axel back a 2-3 inches.

Before I do any more damage, please direct me a little.

Should I support the rear frame with jack stands, disconnect the rear lower shock bolts, and would that allow me to put the shaft back together?

pics below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50011705@N07/7209506696/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50011705@N07/7209506248/
Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM

The "lateral arms" you are talking about are the LCA's or lower control arms. You don't need to disconnect them to install a lift. The axle will droop plenty to get the springs in with them hooked up.

I would jack the back end up and put it on jackstands like you were asking about. Be careful not to tear out your brake lines. Find a way to push/pull the axle forward so you can reconnect the LCA's. Maybe a ratcheting strap would work..? At this point it's probably going to be easier for you to take the driveshaft off unless you have some friends that can help you line everything up. Get the axle put back into place and then put the driveshaft pieces together and then put the whole driveshaft back in. Problem is you need to make sure the two driveshaft pieces get put back they way they were before they fell apart otherwise you could end up with vibration issues.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 PM

As kball said, you should not have disconnected the Lower Control Arms, just the shocks and sway bar.

I would remove the piece of driveline that is on the rear diff (4 nuts/bolts). Set it aside.

Then, lift the vehicle up, support the frame on jack stands, let the axle droop, and use a ratchet strap (as mentioned above) to slowly pull the axle back into a position so you can re-connect the lower control arm.

After that, and once the shocks and sway bar are detached, put the new coils in. Button everything back up.

Put the small piece of driveline back together (this is the slip yoke). Make sure it is oriented the same as it was when it fell out. This will be easiest if you mark it on the flange side and on the slip yoke itself when you remove it from the diff.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think he is referring to the panhard rod which is also known as the lateral control rod or lateral rod.

one way to do it is ask someone to stand on the right side of the truck and push the body towards the left while you position the lateral rod's right end bolt hole into the bolt. make sure the rod's left end is already attached to bolt with the nut attached but loose get the shocks, coil springs and propeller shaft correctly in place first before connecting the lateral rod

Last edited by KZN185W; 05-18-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by KZN185W
i think he is referring to the panhard rod which is also known as the lateral control rod or lateral rod.

one way to do it is ask someone to stand on the right side of the truck and push the body towards the left while you position the lateral rod's right end bolt hole into the bolt. make sure the rod's left end is already attached to bolt with the nut attached but loose get the shocks, coil springs and propeller shaft correctly in place first before connecting the lateral rod
If you look at the pics he posted, it is clear he disconnected the lower control arm on the driver's side. He referred to it as the lateral rod in his earlier post out of mistake.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Contributing Member

sorry, didn't notice that the lower link was disconnected. To the OP: You need to reconnect the lower control links by placing jack stands at the jacking points of the ladder frame. these points are right beside the upper mount of the lower links. then slowly jack (using a pair of scissors jack from car) the rear axle into position and bolt the lower links to the axle. note that you may need to disconnect the shock and coils at their lower mounts first to be able to reconnect the links. Stay safe!

Last edited by KZN185W; 05-19-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the replies, yes I already have felt plenty dumb for disconnecting the LCA/Trailing Arms.

I lifted the vehicle late last night with my cuz just to see what was up, and it appears that the lower shock bolt and the sway bar has to be disconnected BEFORE the axle can be moved back into place, as the shock not only pushes it down but also backwards.

Steps;
1. Support frame on Jackstands as close to the sway bar links as possible
2. Raise the axle with a jack.
3. Disconnect the lower shock bolts, sway bar brackets, and the panhard bar (aka lateral rod)
4. Support the axle vertically with rope/straps through the ladder frame, and remove the jack supporting the axle
5. Now use the Ratcheting strap or some other method to pull the axle forward, connect the LCAs and the yolk.
6. Remove ropes/straps for vertical support of axle
7. Connect the lower shock bolts
8. Put wheels back on, remove the Jack stands supporting the frame
9. Raise the Passenger side frame and the axle will pivot enough that the coil will basically fall off (3 out of 4 coils r in place already, just the rear passenger needs to be put in).
10. Lower the vehicle
11. Connect the Panhard (lateral) rod, and the sway bar brackets
12. Have a cold beer

Please let me know if I am missing a step

While playing last night, a small cap with a spring fell off, is that the differential breather, and where does it install
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50011705@N07/7234689018/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50011705@N07/7234688530/

Here you can see how far the axle has been pushed back
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50011705@N07/7234283192/

Not that I am disconnecting it, but what is this rod called next to the coil, connecting the axle to the frame
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50011705@N07/7234284514/
Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 AM

I would jack the rig up, put the frame on jack stands, then disconnect the lower shock bolts and sway bar. This will free your axle to move easier. You should not have to touch the panhard bar since it only keeps the axle from moving side to side, not front to back or up and down.

With the aid of ratchet straps, position the axle in place so you can re-connect the lower control arms and the driveline. Then, remove/replace the new coils, re-connect the shocks, and re-connect the sway bar.

The "rods" next to the coil are the upper control arms on your axle. This is a 4-link axle so those are the upper links that position the axle and allow articulation.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:14 PM

Well guys the LCAs are back in thank you very much for your patience in answering all the questions.

All is not finished but the hard part is done. Just one thing remains:

The rear passenger side coil

I still have both sway bar brackets and the passenger side shock's lower bolt undone. It is giving me a bit of headache, as despite liquid wrench and kicks the passenger side wheel is still seized to the hub. I could not droop the axle low enough with the wheel on to loosen the coil. Any ideas?

Last edited by mazaa; 05-20-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

try a rubber mallet on the lower part of the tire directed outwards from under the axle
Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 AM

All done, I let it soak overnight with Liquid wrench.. the kicks finally did it, after that the coil dropped easily. I bought it in Kansas and although it does have some surface rust most of the nuts n bolts so far have not needed anything but muscle power + leverage.

Used a scissor jack upside down against the frame to push the panhard back in place, that went in easily as well

Once again thanks to everyone that helped, what a gratifying experience! considering that prior to last year I had only done oils and brake pads

Last few Questions, please let me know if anyone has better ideas?

The passenger side sway bar bracket is bent, I am thinking Ill just swing by someone doing a partout locally, the rubber piece is in excellent shape?

I know with different struts I need an alignment, can I drive 10 miles to work today and get it done tomorrow morning, per my knowledge that should be ok?

Can the old springs be sold, they got 200K on them?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mazaa
All done, I let it soak overnight with Liquid wrench.. the kicks finally did it, after that the coil dropped easily. I bought it in Kansas and although it does have some surface rust most of the nuts n bolts so far have not needed anything but muscle power + leverage.

Used a scissor jack upside down against the frame to push the panhard back in place, that went in easily as well

Once again thanks to everyone that helped, what a gratifying experience! considering that prior to last year I had only done oils and brake pads

Last few Questions, please let me know if anyone has better ideas?

The passenger side sway bar bracket is bent, I am thinking Ill just swing by someone doing a partout locally, the rubber piece is in excellent shape?

I know with different struts I need an alignment, can I drive 10 miles to work today and get it done tomorrow morning, per my knowledge that should be ok?

Can the old springs be sold, they got 200K on them?
I would just try to source a sway bar bracket from someone else, that is if you don't want to just take it off completely.

If you only did a rear lift, you don't have to worry about an alignment. If you changed the front suspension, then yes.