Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help!

I was driving my way up to northern Arkansas this weekend... everything was going just fine... I had the radio tuned into my fav station and life was good. Then I get a cell call so I turn off my radio and answer the call. After a few minutes the call is finished and I turn the radio back on and all of a sudden there is a loud noise of metal slapping glass on the passenger's side.

What the..???

So, I look over and see my antenna wedged between the window and the side mirror. I pull off the road to see what happened... Seems it came loose and the antenna came completely out of the housing. The housing feel inside the fender where it is damn near impossible to get to as near as I can tell.

Does anyone know how I can get to it to hold it steady while I get the thing back together again?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2002, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

haha ive never heard of that before, that must have scared the crap out of you.:eek:

dont know bout your fix tho
Old 12-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

LOL. That must of been quite the experience. I had my passenger door pop open once while driving up I95 at 70mph. Turns out I think the guys at the tire shop where I was before that happened didn't close the door all the way. Scary!
:eek:
Anyways, to answer your question. I had to replace my antennae and motor a while back. Had my mechanic do it. If I remember correctly, he said he took off the black, plasticky, rubbery stuff in the wheel well (sorry forget what that is called). I guess it is behind that stuff. You may be able to put the antennae back in from the top if nothing is wrong with the motor though. I'm not sure what all is involved in that, but there was a post on how to do that a bit ago.

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 12-10-2002, 11:58 AM

Yes you are right, you remove the inner fender well. It shouldn't be anything more than a few phillips screws and a couple 10mm bolts. The antenna motor is held down with one or two more 10mm's, which must have both came loose. You will need two more, or at least one to hold the antenna motor in place just unti you get home. If the mast is still in the motor assembly that is all you will need to do. If the mast has completely come out of the assembly, post and I'll help you get that thing back in the assembly.