Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help! 3rd gen problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 3rd gen problem

I have this strange problem with my '97 4Runner. If it has been sitting for over an hour or so, it will not move when I put it into drive.. It feels like the e-brake is on, but I never use it. Here is what happens:

I start it up, engine runs great, I put it in R and it will creep backwards slower than usual. When I put it in D, I feel the transmission shift, but it will not roll forward like it should. It will sit there like I have my brake on, the only way I can get it moving is by giving it gas. If I drive it for about a block, the problem is gone and it moves like normal. I have played with the transmission, and it seems to be shifting fine, the tranny and brake fluid is full.

This morning, I decided to eliminate a transmission possability. I put it in R and it barely rolled, I put it in D and still had the same problem. I then put it in N and it wouldn't move. I then let it slowly roll and then put it into N and it came stopped by itself. Ok so I know its not the transmission, since the problem also happens when the wheels are free.

What could the problem be?
I quickly looked under it and there is no fluid on the drums or axle (so its not an axle seal). Its not cold enough for the brakes to be frozen, even if it was, why would the rear brakes freeze, I don't use the e-brake. I have played with the e-brake and it feels the same, and still works. The front brakes were replaced 6 months ago and the rears were replaced when the axle seals were fixed (about a year ago). I am at a complete loss as to what it could be. HELP!!
Old 11-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

I did a search and found two posts that sound like a similiar problem.
One was JA's post, his turned out to be the axle seals.

The other post YOTA answered by stating that some pads hold moisture and it can stick..

Any other ideas? I think its the back brakes since it will still roll in reverse, but not in drive.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Might be a sticky brake caliper. You figure you're putting on the brakes before putting the vehicle in park, caliper sticks, and you don't notice it untill you get back in. Normally, when you're driving around, you're giving it some gas after coming to a stop so you don't notice it (also, everything is nice and warm then and less likely to stick). With the colder temps coming on, it might be a bit more noticeable. Not sure about the whole directional thing. I'd pull the rear drums off, take a look at the innards, and spray everything nice and clean with brake cleaner to remove any dust/gunk that might be causing the problem. I'd do the same with the front calipers as well. This will give you a good starting point for looking for any leaks, axle seal or otherwise.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:20 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Yep, sounds like a brake issue.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:04 PM

First thing you need to do is find out what wheel or wheels are binding by jacking up the vehicle and trying to rotate the tire while its in neutral with the parking brake off. Be sure to do it on a flat surface. Hopefully this will help narrow down where the problem is.

KODA4
Old 11-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

I had this problem and it was because my axle seal had leaked and ruined the brake shoes on one side. That one rear tire would want to lock up and this was a dangerous situation in the snow. I almost lost control going down my hill. On dry pavement, the truck did exactly what you described.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for your help guys. I pulled off the drums and I had a blown axle seal on the left rear. I have no idea how to fix it, so its at the dealer right now...

This is #2 axle seal in the past two years (1 year out of service warranty).