Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help

Well I don't know where to start first. I had a sh%$$& day. I crushed my exhaust pipe. I had to drive it to get to a place I could cut it. Did I hurt anything????? I drove as slow as I could.

Second. My passenger side cv came lose from the diff. Not sure what is up. I slipped it back in but, what is the cause.

Then I blew a belt and while I was under looking at the cv I saw coolent leaking. Still trying to find it. Please some one help im very sad
Old 06-29-2004, 04:40 PM

Whoa stop take a breathe! The exhuast pipe is not hurt. Do you mean the cv boot? I'm sure others will chime in. Try to sit back and relax for awhile. I feel your pain.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by chasmc2
Well I don't know where to start first. I had a sh%$$& day. I crushed my exhaust pipe. I had to drive it to get to a place I could cut it. Did I hurt anything????? I drove as slow as I could.

Second. My passenger side cv came lose from the diff. Not sure what is up. I slipped it back in but, what is the cause.

Then I blew a belt and while I was under looking at the cv I saw coolent leaking. Still trying to find it. Please some one help im very sad
I will make this a little more detailed. The axle came out of the diff about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch. I popped it back in by hand. the cv boots are fine. I was out in the rocks and went up on an embankment on the passenger side. this was the same side the axle came out. just wondering what is going on. I have done alot of off camber driving and have never had this happen. Just looking for some one that has had there rig that far apart. I haven't had the pleasure yet. It does seem the way its going theres something that is going to have to be fixed. and about the coolent. I ran out of sun light and time. I'll look at that in the am. I just din't like seing it drip from the front rim ofthe oil pan and the engine.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by chasmc2; 06-29-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

sry for your troubles.... man you had a hard one
Old 06-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Banned

if you were in a very rough section while offroading, it is very possible that you could have jsut overextended the cv and that now that its back in, nothing is hurt... you might want to check your diff fluid level however, not with all cvs, but with some, depending on their construction/manufacturer, they might leak fluid if the cv is popped out..... the cv popping out isnt a normal thing, but can be justified as you were wheeling in a manner not normal to what the rig usually or was intended to see....
Old 06-30-2004, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
if you were in a very rough section while offroading, it is very possible that you could have jsut overextended the cv and that now that its back in, nothing is hurt... you might want to check your diff fluid level however, not with all cvs, but with some, depending on their construction/manufacturer, they might leak fluid if the cv is popped out..... the cv popping out isnt a normal thing, but can be justified as you were wheeling in a manner not normal to what the rig usually or was intended to see....
Yea I have a very large Puddle on my drive way,and I hate the smell of gear oil.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
is there anything on the inside of the diff to hold the cv in or is it being held in by the way the cv is wedged between the wheel and the diff????
Old 07-03-2004, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by chasmc2
is there anything on the inside of the diff to hold the cv in or is it being held in by the way the cv is wedged between the wheel and the diff????
can someone please answer
Old 07-06-2004, 07:28 PM

ttttt
Old 07-06-2004, 07:57 PM

Not sure with the diff. I have yet to take mine apart(will do soon). But about your exhaust. If you don't have any emmisions laws in CO, then do what I did. Cut your exhaust parallel to the ground, right at the body line. It will keep your exhaust pipe out of sight and safe from rocks.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by OneTrickToy
Not sure with the diff. I have yet to take mine apart(will do soon). But about your exhaust. If you don't have any emmisions laws in CO, then do what I did. Cut your exhaust parallel to the ground, right at the body line. It will keep your exhaust pipe out of sight and safe from rocks.
already cut the pipe just really wondering about the cv and diff. is there anyone out there that has had there diff taken apart? and if so is there anything holding the cv in?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:56 PM

Which side did it pop out from? If it popped from the side that goes into the wheel and hub assembly you could have popped this little butterfly washer deal off that holds the axle in place. If that is the case then you will need to take apart your hub and put it back on. Hope i helped.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 88yotaboy
Which side did it pop out from? If it popped from the side that goes into the wheel and hub assembly you could have popped this little butterfly washer deal off that holds the axle in place. If that is the case then you will need to take apart your hub and put it back on. Hope i helped.
the cv came out from the diff side not the hub side.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:04 PM

I can assure you that there is supposed to be something that holds the CV axle in the diff. It sounds like something is broken, but the nice thing is, at least your 4wd works so it can't be too bad.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by oly884
I can assure you that there is supposed to be something that holds the CV axle in the diff. It sounds like something is broken, but the nice thing is, at least your 4wd works so it can't be too bad.
yea im hoping that someone can tell me what to look for before i rip the diff out. not looking forward to it.
thanks for the info everyone so far.
I'm going till i get the bad news or I can hope good news