Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help...2nd gen rear window motor installation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post help...2nd gen rear window motor installation?

i've tried the search.... but what i need is instructions step by step on how to replace the motor.....

i purchased a used rear window motor to hopefully fix my ailing window that rolls down intermittently....

thanks in advance

JQ
Old 10-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Pop the baord off from the inside. It is held on with about 8 plastic snaps that go into holes in the sheetmetal and they really like to snap off so pry slow with a big falt screw driver. Then there is a piece of sheet metal that comes off with a few screws. After that is the vapro burior that comes off by hand. This will get you to the motor. That's as far as I have gone but the motor should be easy to remove after that.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

By the way, here are some pics:

Old 10-13-2004, 10:58 PM

While you are in there lube up all the moving parts this help to keep the window going up and down smoothly.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FireFighter
While you are in there lube up all the moving parts this help to keep the window going up and down smoothly.
Yea, I did that and now it goes twice as fast!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:15 AM

anybody with instructions specifically to remove and replace the motor???

(bike4, thanks for the reply and the photos, i have gotten that far..... basically i'm stuck at what do to do next because the motor doesn't seem to have any screws exposed at this point......)

does replacing the motor, require the removal of the entire regulator?

my window actually works fine, when it is working, but there are times when it just outright stops working, so i've now narrowed it down to the motor, at least i hope so...i've tried everything else such as cleaning and lubing movable parts, and even replacing the relays on the circuit board.... so now i'm going for the motor as a last resort....
Old 10-14-2004, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The switch in the console is also subject in these issues. Lots of junk drops down in the switch.

You need to pull the whole regulator. Here's what I sent you in a PM a little while ago:
Originally Posted by Cebby
The last time I had my rear window apart was a year ago when i swapped both the motor and the regulator (mechanism).

I'm going from fuzzy memory, so forgive me:

Remove all of the inside trim (including the plastic piece at the top)

Unplug the limit switches (outside corners). This will let you roll up the window with the tailgate laying down.

Roll the window out about 1/2 way. Unbolt the motor and slide the rollers out of the bottom track. Bolt the motor back in with a couple of bolts temporarily so it doesn't scratch the glass when you pull it out.

Set the glass on a blanket or somewhere soft.

You will have to play around with moving the motor in and out a little to get it to the point where you can wrangle it out of the access hole.

If you are replacing just the motor and not the regulator, be prepared for some fun. The regulator is spring loaded (that big coil thing). Clamp down the regulator arms to something, then remove the motor. If you don't clamp down the arms, they will snap back to an at rest position (ask me how I know).

Pop the new motor into the regulator. Thoroughly grease the entire regulator, the bottom channel on the window and especially all the gears. While the window is out, use a silicone spray lubricant on all the rubber channels (both in the tailgate and the area around the rear window.

Reverse the process and you are ready to roll.

Good Luck.

Next time mine is apart, I'll do a write up with lots of pics.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:58 PM

Let me know how its goes when your finished. I am trying to do the same thing myself. My window only has like 2" of play from the top. Thats as far as it goes up or down. Can you take apart the tailgate with the rear window up?? Oh yeah good luck
Old 10-15-2004, 11:59 AM

cebby
thanks much for responding..... i'll be tackling replacing the motor this weekend and your directions will help me lots....

nyceride.... i would suggest that you crawl inside and remove all the trim on the tailgate (use bike4's instructions and photos above).... then get to the motor (in the picture it is the black thing with white TOYOTA lettering)..... while lightly tapping on the motor with a hammer or something have someone turn the key, .... at the same time have the person push down the window with the palms of their hands and you can do the same on the inside.... if it works to get the window down....

then you can open the tailgate and perform a full service on the window from there...

hope that helps.... good luck
Old 10-18-2004, 10:14 AM

new motor in

ok all
the new motor is in..... and it is working as good as new....

just fyi:

1) with the tailgate down.... i (as described by cebby) unhooked the two outer limit switches which allows, the window to open/close with the tailgate down.... and opened it just enough so that the screws that attach the motor to the regulator were exposed....

2) with a socket wrench (8mm) i was able to unscrew the bolts holding the motor... (note: the screws are on the backside of the motor)

3) i removed the motor, and suprisingly, it the tension did not recoil on the spring regulating the force to the window..... i was able to just pop out the old and pop in the new motor.....

(because i bought a camry window motor, i had to splice the wires, though)....

anyhow.... the window works good as new....

i have to tell you though.... whoever the engineer was in toyota that engineered the way that regulator and motor are assembled should be fired....

thanks for everyone's help on this..

JQ
Old 10-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Not to take away any steam from Cebby, but there is an alternative method. This may not be an approved method but it has worked for me several times.
Step 1 remove the rear panels and plastic.

Step 2 open the gate and close the latches on each side of the gate (this will fool the door into thinking it is upright and closed).

Step 3 while the gate is down Roll the window up.

Step 4 Pop the main regulator spring loose (be careful) this will relieve pressure on the motor gearing.

Step 5 reach in the opening on the left side of the motor toward the gearing. You will be able to feel the three bolts attaching it. Use a 1/4 in drive socket and ratchet to back out the bolts and your home free. The motor will pull right out of the access hole (don't forget to un plug the motor).

Step 6 reverse proceedure

This can also be done from inside with the motor stuck in the up position but requires blocking the window in the up position before popping the spring (plus its a little confining).

You may still want to do the method Cebby mentions, it seems safer and less likely to remove skin from your knuckles, but now you have choices.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

hey dublin!

thats the method i used and it is a PITA! trying to get the spriing reset and have everything lined up and working just about drove us mad! it took a while for the knuckles to heal! all in all, it worked and is still working today for the guy i sold the gate to.

lee