See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Help! 2nd gen factory alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 2nd gen factory alarm problems

Hey guys I've done some searching and reading and I can't find anything concerning the 2nd gen factory alarm. My remote doesn't have any clues on it and I can't find anything with any labels on it under the hood, so I don't know what brand, model, or anything about it. I found out that the 96-99? or so have the RS3000 and the newer ones have the RS3200. My remote has 2 buttons. Only one seems to do anything.

So, here is the problem:

I was installing a light under the hood and was running the power off the + terminal of the battery. Before hooking up anything I disconnected the - terminal so I wouldn't kill myself. After the installation I went to hook the - terminal back up and the alarm started going off. I tried using the key in the door and ignition with no avail. The only way I could get it to turn off was to use the remote. Since this the alarm has been acting really weird. Even if the truck is unlocked and I open the door, or roll the back window down the alarm will sound. It seems that I have a 30 second window to open the door before the alarm sounds. If I disarm the alarm with the remote and then open the hood and have it open for more than 30 sec. and then close it the alarm will sound.
Also, the red light next to the clutch start cancel switch used to be illuminated all the time, now it blinks when armed and is totally off when I'm driving it.
I will check for the "brain unit" under the drivers seat in the morning. I hope that its there and it is the RS3000 and it just needs to be reprogrammed.
I don't think that I could have shorted anything out in the light installation.
Any help would be great, or just the name of the alarm.
Thanks guys,
Chris
Old 11-28-2003, 08:16 PM

hey its too cold outside to go and look at my alarm right now...but if i remember correctly the "brain" under the drivers seat has a switch on it for the "automatically arming" feature that is giving you trouble...any time you turn off the ignition the alarm waits 30 sec and then arms itself...if you disarm it but dont open the doors within 30 sec...it will re-arm itself...just turn this option off if its annoying you...hope this helps...

Kai
Old 11-29-2003, 12:27 PM

Also, the red light next to the clutch start cancel switch used to be illuminated all the time, now it blinks when armed and is totally off when I'm driving it.
On my old '91 runner when the light was constantly on, it meant that the system was in 'valet' mode (there should be a toggle switch under your dash to change modes). When the alarm is armed the light should blink, and when disarmed the light should not be lit. I'm guessing you were just always in 'valet' mode. I used to just run mine in valet mode all of the time because my amplifier would draw current and make the alarm go off, leaving me just the ablility to use the keyless entry and not the alarm function.

May not answer your question, but hope it helps.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:41 AM

I agree with Drumhead, it sounds like your alarm was in valet mode and now it is active and working properly. The passive arming is set on your alarm so it automatically arms itself after 30 seconds. If you leave the hood open for more than 30 seconds, your alarm sets itself and when you drop your hood, the vibration is sensed and the siren goes off. Same with the doors, if the alarm is set and you open the door, the siren will go off.

The led should be off when unarmed while driving and blinking when armed.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:29 PM

Thanks guys for all the feedback. You all were correct on the alarm being in valet mode. Before i got your feedback I stopped by an audio place that sells alarms as well, and that's excatly what the guy said. When I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the alarm automatically went into valet mode. It only took him a second to fix the problem. I was messing with it all damn day on Thursday. Oh well, thanks for the help.

Chris
Old 12-01-2003, 04:59 AM

Wait.!

Yea, ive got a problem with mine too. Its a 91. Ive tried tinkering with it, but i dont really know anything about alarms. When its all connected, i got the alarm hooked to the battery and it arms itself, if i try to open the door, the blinkers blink, but there is no siren, that and my remote doesnt work, i replaced the battery but no luck. Does anyone know whats up?