Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help...2000 Auto Climate Control Troubles

Old 07-31-2007, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...2000 Auto Climate Control Troubles

The auto climate controls in my 2000 Limited have pretty much stoped working all together. I can adjust the temp and fan speed with the knobs, but do not have control of where the air blows, can't turn on the A/C, can't get it into AUTO mode, and can't switch from fresh to recerculate (all buttons don't function.)

The problems started maybe 3 months ago, but I could always get what I wanted, some times it would just take a few tries pressing the button over and over again. Now I don't have any control except for temp and fan speed. It seems to me that maybe the switch contacts are just dirty...does anyone know wether the front plate can be pulled off the the contacts cleaned? Can the entire unit be "RESET" ??

I called toyota, they had no ideas for me, except a new auto climate control unit at $700 plus install. It has been 35 deg C (95 F) for the past week...I need my A/C!!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

you should be able to get into those switches, or at least behind the dash and clean any connectors you can get to....
Old 07-31-2007, 05:47 PM

I was having the same problem but not as bad, so this thread inspired me to get back in the climate control area. I yanked 'er and fiddled around and spayed some electrical contact cleaner behind the switches..put it all back together,,,waited a few minutes for good measure and sure enough it works sweeeeettt.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 PM

Took it all apart and cleaning the little black switches behind the buttons with electrical cleaner. Still not working. Any other ideas?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:12 PM

hmm, you have an auto starter by any chance? also i find mine only went buggy in the high humidity...like today at 42 celc.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 AM

No auto start. It is screwed up all the time, doesn't seem to matter what the outside temp is.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:38 PM

Bump....Anyone have any ideas where I could get a replacement set of auto climate controls? Could I put in a set of manual ones? I need to fix these things!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Had the same problem with my '00 Limited after storing it for a few weeks. After screwing up a couple of times it seems to be working ok now. Had a look at the factory manual and there are a whole mess of sensors that have input into the control. I would check the sensors first before investing in a climate control unit.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:31 PM

mine does the similar problem.

except when i try to switch the A/C on the outside temp. button is pushed instead.

i just hold the outside temp button and then press the A/C and it works.

where do you buy electrical contact cleaner?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by bosco659
Had a look at the factory manual and there are a whole mess of sensors that have input into the control. I would check the sensors first before investing in a climate control unit.
I wish I had a factory manual...I bet there is a whole testing sequence that I could go through with my voltmeter. You wouldn't have it in PDF to send me would you?

I purchased my contact cleaner at "Canadian Tire" but I have seen it at lots of auto parts stores like NAPA, AUTOZONE, etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:42 AM

Found a solution yet??? I have a 99 limited and the on/off switch is doing the same thing on the climate control. I have to push it pretty hard to get it to turn off. I had a corvette and the climate control started doing some wierd stuff. Turned out that a bunch of others had the same problem with there vettes and I found a really good write up on the console / dash removal and then very detailed instructions on how to take the climate control apart and clean. It worked great after that....

Anybody have a similar write up on the 4runners?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
provided that there are no problems with the button(s) and microswitch(es) behind them...

run the diagnostic routine and see what codes come out

[if this is the automagic climate control, when you turn the key you get
diagnostic codes]

To access the diagnostic codes, hold down the auto and recirc/fresh air buttons at the same time while turning the ignition to on.

You'll see that all indicator lights and LCD elements should flash four times followed by any problem codes.

I get code 14 when it is dark out. 14 is solar sensor. when sun is out, no codes.

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 09-09-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:59 AM

i have the same prob as the op, it all started a few days ago....all buttons are crayze, either don't work at all or get stuck, sometimes i can ge them to work if i push a bunch of times or hold them for a long time but mostly not at all. frustrating and with my temper i already pushed the whole panel into the dash! heard something snap...hope i can fix it.

too bad about all the supposed sensors....i was hoping to just replace it with a used one and be done with it. found a used one for $249!!!!

ugh....winter is coming....nice. no defrost.

i heard it is NOT interchangable with the manual one out of an sr5??
Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 AM

Auto climate control problems continue

Since my initial post I have replaced my unit with another used unit from Ebay. It cost me $170, but all the buttons do function. I gave my old unit to my buddie who is a electronic tech so hopefully he will take it apart and diagnosis a problem. When I find out I will let you all know.

The Units out of the SR5 are not interchangeable, SR5 has a manual box, limiteds are digial with servo's. I have heard that the units out of the 2002-2003 Tacoma's will work, the harnesses just have to be switched. Anyone have any more information on this?

I have a seperate problem now. The temp sensor in the truck does not seem to be functioning. I can have the controls set at 65 deg, and it blows full hot all the time, even when it is 100 deg in the truck. Only way to get cool air is to set it below 65, and the display changes to "COLD" then I get cool air from outside. There must be a sensor someplace that controls this, any idea where it is and how to fix it?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Is it not that little black round thing on the drivers side dash, toward the windshield?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 PM

I think that is a solar sensor.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by k_southman
I think that is a solar sensor.
right, and im pretty sure thats what it is used for , since there is no feature on these that take sunlight into account.
People refer to this temp sensor as a solar sensor.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Godzilla
right, and im pretty sure thats what it is used for , since there is no feature on these that take sunlight into account.
People refer to this temp sensor as a solar sensor.

the black bump thing on the dash is a solar sensor not a heat sensor

it detects light. that is all it does.

----------------------------------------
run diagnostics in the dark, code 14

shine a flashlight on that sensor, run diags, no codes.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
run the diagnostic routine and see what codes come out

[if this is the automagic climate control, when you turn the key you get
diagnostic codes]

To access the diagnostic codes, hold down the auto and recirc/fresh air buttons at the same time while turning the ignition to on.

You'll see that all indicator lights and LCD elements should flash four times followed by any problem codes.
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

i know that was a smart ass thing to do, but i couldn't resist! hope you get your problem solved, i'm so glad i have the manual controls although those can break too, the controls on my dad's car broke a few years ago and we have to disassemble the dash every fall and spring to switch it from cold and hot depending on the season!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:18 PM

the black bump thing on the dash is a solar sensor not a heat sensor

it detects light. that is all it does.
Why does the 4Runner need to know if it's sunny out?

MadCityRich

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help...2000 Auto Climate Control Troubles