Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hello....and a little help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello....and a little help

Hello all. I am a new member, so please be gentle!

Although I am not new to Toyota (had a 91 Celica Supra convertible at one time), I am new at owning a 4Runner. I’ve had it about two months now and I am loving every minute of it! I have been reading the board for a few weeks now and finally got around to joining. My post serves two purposes. One, ask opinions about the deal I got on the Runner; and, second I need a little advice.
First: Tell me if I got a heck of a deal or not (although I am sure I did!). Here is the rundown on my new ride:

2000 Imperial Jade 4Runner SR5
3.4L V6
Auto Transmission
Upgrade Value Package #2 (lotta extra stuff)
Sport Package (even more extra staff)
Sun Roof
Supercharger (with glass etched stripes and “SUPERCHARGED” etched on all the side windows.)
Self tinting rearview mirror (original equipment)
Clean Title – never wrecked
I am the second owner.

Okay, now the price and mileage: Only 34,000 original miles and I paid (after TT&L) right at $20,000!

Is that good? The original window sticker was still in the Owners manual. It had the Runner listed at $33,177; plus the original owner had the Supercharger added ($4077.00) and the glass etching ($795.00). Which brought the total to $38,049 (as the sticker puts it, that is). For a four year old Runner with only 34K miles (less than 10 a year!) I thought it was a steal at $20K.

Now for the help question (I know, this is a long post, but I had a lot to say for the first post!): While it has plenty of get-up-and-go, the engine does knock when I really give it the gas. I have put in the highest grade gas, injector cleaner and octane boost, but I still get knocking. Anything else I can do?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:22 AM
lee
Contributing Member

wow, an s/c'd 00 runner with almost all options (leather?) with 34K miles for only 20K?

thats a great price.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:25 AM

No leather...I'm a little different that way. I don't really like leather seats.

And to top things off, it is even the same colors as my favorite hockey team...DALLAS STARS! It is green with gold stipes on the door!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:12 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Welcome to the forum!

Bump to the rest of the forum, since I don't have an SC. :cry:
Old 09-21-2004, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tim-in-TX
Hello all. I am a new member, so please be gentle!

Although I am not new to Toyota (had a 91 Celica Supra convertible at one time), I am new at owning a 4Runner. I’ve had it about two months now and I am loving every minute of it! I have been reading the board for a few weeks now and finally got around to joining. My post serves two purposes. One, ask opinions about the deal I got on the Runner; and, second I need a little advice.
First: Tell me if I got a heck of a deal or not (although I am sure I did!). Here is the rundown on my new ride:

2000 Imperial Jade 4Runner SR5
3.4L V6
Auto Transmission
Upgrade Value Package #2 (lotta extra stuff)
Sport Package (even more extra staff)
Sun Roof
Supercharger (with glass etched stripes and “SUPERCHARGED” etched on all the side windows.)
Self tinting rearview mirror (original equipment)
Clean Title – never wrecked
I am the second owner.

Okay, now the price and mileage: Only 34,000 original miles and I paid (after TT&L) right at $20,000!

Is that good? The original window sticker was still in the Owners manual. It had the Runner listed at $33,177; plus the original owner had the Supercharger added ($4077.00) and the glass etching ($795.00). Which brought the total to $38,049 (as the sticker puts it, that is). For a four year old Runner with only 34K miles (less than 10 a year!) I thought it was a steal at $20K.

Now for the help question (I know, this is a long post, but I had a lot to say for the first post!): While it has plenty of get-up-and-go, the engine does knock when I really give it the gas. I have put in the highest grade gas, injector cleaner and octane boost, but I still get knocking. Anything else I can do?
Sounds like a nice rig at a sweet price,congrats!

As for the pinging,Id try a tune up first.Plugs,wires cap rotor.If that doesnt do it then you can look at more expensive fixes.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 AM
lee
Contributing Member

post some pics already!

what you need to do is go to http://www.gadgetonline.com/ (click on URD).

gadget is a member here who is an expert in removing S/C ping. i think you need a 7th injector kit... but im ignorant, so i'll stop now.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the borad and get ready to break your wallet!!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

A solid deal on an awesome rig - congrats. I'd run a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel injector cleaner. Should clean things up nicely. There will always be some pinging. I've learned from the forum that some people don't have big pinging problems and other do. Altitude seems to make a difference. The URD kit is expensive and not so easy for the newbie mechanic (like me ). Still, I'm saving up for one

Good luck
Old 09-21-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, read up on gadgetonline.com

related to maintenance tasks that *might* help, some members have had luck with running seafoam through their PCV and then changing out their spark plug and wires.

search "seafoam" and "changing spark plugs".

bob
Old 09-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome. Search for "sc ping" and "FTC1". That will give you plenty to read. Some easy fixes that have worked for some people are colder plugs and a colder thermostat. You must run Premium gas with the SC so keep that in mind. The ping is caused by the timing being too far advanced in the low rpms. I would suggest getting the FTC1 to fix this problem. It retards the timing at low rpms to eliminate the ping and then advances it back up in the higher rpms for more power. There's plenty of other people on here that have way more knowledge about this than I. I'm just a 2nd gen guy that has learned a couple things from reading the SC threads and hoping one day I will have one. Anyways, good luck with fixing the problem.

:bounce2:
Old 09-21-2004, 11:41 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the cheapest first and work my way up!

As for Pics, I will try to get one or two up when I get home from work (yes, I am abusing my workplace internet access!) in the morning.

Thanks again guys!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:36 AM

Can't figure out how to post pics. Read the instructions and I still can't figure it out...and I'm not even blond!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

First you need a host, such as www.montypics.com. Then, once you get your pics uploaded to their site, get the address and post it between brackets (not braces as shown) like this: {img}address here{/img}

Again, use brackets.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:49 AM
lee
Contributing Member

if you want, you can email me the pics at ekaldany@hotmail.com and i'll put em up.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim-in-TX
Can't figure out how to post pics. Read the instructions and I still can't figure it out...and I'm not even blond!
Just sign up for a free account at www.webshots.com and then just link us to your community page (not your login page!).....your community page will just be http://community.webshots.com/user/y...name_goes_here

As for the ping fix, Gadget is the best in the supercharger biz so talk to him and he will have you sorted out in no time (although to really fix the problem you will likely need his URD kit for about $900, which I happen to think is a better design than the other option which is to use the 7th injector kit from TRD for over $1200).

....PS great price on the new rig!
Old 09-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you got a nice deal on the rig!

I recommend the URD kit from Gadget, if you can afford it.

I am saving up for one, but for the time being, I bought a Split Second TMC 1.1 (timing map controller). My pinging problem is cured, and I have not had any negative effects on gas mileage. I am also running a TRD Tranny Cooler, TRD 160 degree thermostat, and 60/40 coolant mix with Redline water wetter.

My writeup for the TMC 1.1 is done and waiting to be hosted on Yotatech, so stay tuned!
Old 09-25-2004, 04:14 AM

FINNALY! Some pics of the runner. (Providing I did everything right!)

http://community.webshots.com/album/191691323oKyluJ
Old 09-25-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tim-in-TX, just curious but where is your transfer case shifter located?
Old 09-25-2004, 10:42 AM

Sorry, no shifter, it's a 2-wheel drive.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Bamachem is selling the TMC1 and the 7th Injector in the Classifieds for a good price............