Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

helllllp! fuel problem? need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation helllllp! fuel problem? need help!

so today my engine starting acting a little funny. when i start it after it's been sitting for a while, it will idle really low and rough. it loses power once i start driving down the road and feels like it's not getting gas... or air.... or something i'm really not even sure. after a minute or so of driving, it runs fine. i have no clue where to start looking for problems. i have recently had a tune up, replaced fuel filter, cleaned air filter, flushed injectors, fixed broken wires on the fuel injection... any other ideas? i need to fix this asap and i don't have the funds to take it to a mechanic. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by alanbobalan
so today my engine starting acting a little funny. when i start it after it's been sitting for a while, it will idle really low and rough. it loses power once i start driving down the road and feels like it's not getting gas... or air.... or something i'm really not even sure. after a minute or so of driving, it runs fine. i have no clue where to start looking for problems. i have recently had a tune up, replaced fuel filter, cleaned air filter, flushed injectors, fixed broken wires on the fuel injection... any other ideas? i need to fix this asap and i don't have the funds to take it to a mechanic. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Try cleaing your MAF.. Are you getting any check enging lights?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:28 AM

What year, truck, and engine?

Gadget
Old 10-20-2004, 05:41 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Check and or replace your Cold Start Injector switch, and your Cold Start Injector. I had this same problem back in Jan of this year. If I remember correctly, I paid around $145 at the stealership. And it took a whole 10 min to change out both on my '91 3.0 v6.....
Old 10-20-2004, 02:45 PM

gapguy- MAF? i'm a newbie in the world of auto mechanics.

gadget- it's an 87 4runner 22re efi

drkgypsy- cold start injector switch? cold start injector? where might i find these contraptions? like i said i'm a newbie i can do all the basics: changing oil and filter, checking my fluids, rotating tires, brakes, etc. i even replaced a rear leaf spring in my driveway. i think i'm pretty much mechanically inclined, i just need an education in auto mechanics. please help me.

i also have a radiator leak. i took it to the shop today to have them look at it and they said it was leaking from an o ring under the fuel injection manifold. any assistance would be grand! if anyone has a link to some tech articles with this information would be greatly appreciated. anything to help me fix these problems on my own without having to spend $$$ at a mechanic. THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Ummm, here in Canada, opposite side of the continent form you, my truck does that every morning if it's not the summer........ then again, it's not as warm as cali....

I've had my truck for 2 years and never really worried about it, remember, a toyota is going to take a beating no matter how hard you play.....

IMO: nothing to worry about, and I'm not a mechanic....
Old 10-20-2004, 08:03 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
22re.lemme look at my manuals.......I'll be back
Old 10-21-2004, 12:39 AM

stevrock- i've owned my truck for almost 3 years now and it's never done this. something is definetaly wrong, although it may not be critical. i like to keep my truck running as best as i can. it's not supposed to be doing this... so i'm going to fix it... somehow. losing power can be a real bad thing, especially if i'm 4x4ing...

drkgypsy- thanks alot. i really appreciate the assistance.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:12 AM

Your welcome, anytime.
I didn't realize your location, your only 'bout an hour's drive from my place. I could bring down the shop mans. and let you borrow them for awhile. Between my '84 Toy 4x4 (my first truck) and haveing my '91 in the family since it hit Hamer Toyota, I've aquired more than a "little" experence turning wrenchs on yota's....I'd be more than happy to help.....

Tony

Last edited by drkgypsy; 10-21-2004 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:48 PM

drkgypsy- ah i wish you would have said something sooner. i just took it in to the shop yesterday. i got the radiator leak taken care of and my mechanic suspects the engine problem is a computer sensor or something. he says that it's some sensor for when the engine is at low temperatures, and that after it warms up it switches over to some other sensor? and that's the reason why after driving for a minute or so my truck is fine, because it reaches a certain temperature and BOOM! i have power again. as you can tell, i'm really not sure what i'm talking about. my mechanic has a strong accent so it's hard to know exactly what he's talking about. but he's a toyota certified techinican with 20 years of experience. he used to work as a mechanic at the toyota dealership. so i trust he knows what he's doing. anyway, he put in a new sensor today and gave my truck back to me and i'm going to try it out for a few days and if the problem is still there, i'll let you know. i would rather fix something liek this myself than pay a mechanic to do it. it can't be THAT hard. i know for sure it's not anything critical. i just like keeping my truck running 100% and purring like a kitten. anyway, hit me up on instant messenger or something. perhaps we could go wheeling sometime or something. later!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

I was having the same problem with my 22re and my Toyota mechanic friend said there is an extra fule injector for starting the engine and it was probaby cloged. I ran a tank of injector cleaner and it has been fine ever since.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:51 AM

Hey Alan,
Your mechanic is talking 'bout your air temp sensor, that's not hard to replace. Hope that fixes the problem, and wasn't hard on the wallet!!!When ever you need to use or wanna look at the FSM's, or "just whatever" IM or email me anytime.

Last edited by drkgypsy; 10-23-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:01 PM

drkgypsy- do you have AIM? my aim sn = i quit my scenex

i haven't paid for the air temp sensor yet. he took a sensor out of another yota he was working on and put it in mine to see if it fixed the problem and so far so good. it's been a few days and he hasn't called for me to pay him for the work... it took him like 10 minutes to put it in. i probably could have done it myself, but i didn't know what the problem was or where to start looking. i feel the urge to go in and pay the man... but then again it's his own loss if he doesn't call me! bwah ah ahah. but no, even if i did pay him for the work i doubt it would be very expensive. he said he found an aftermarket sensor for like 20 bucks. i'll probably stop by in the next few days, he's a good mechanic and i'd feel bad if i just ran off. ahahahhaa! anyway, hit me up on aim and perhaps we could go wheelin sometime or something. it's getting rainy and you know what that means... MUD! yesssss!!!!!

ps. FSM's? eh?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:52 AM

Don't have AIM, $20 bux sounds 'bout right. That's cool, I would go in and at least ofer the mechanic something for his time, even i it was 10 min. Good mechanics are extremely hard to find in So Cal.......MMMMMMMMM MUD.........
Old 10-25-2004, 04:40 PM

yeah. i won't leave the poor guy hanging. ahha.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

My mistake, I misread it, mine idle's high until it warms up, after about a minute of warming up, I drive it and it's sluggish until it starts to give hot air through the vents.......... Kinda forgot what it was like until the cold weather started coming...