Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hellfire of Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hellfire of Electrical Problems

Alright, this is a doozie so bear with me, any ideas are much appreciated. A few weeks back, I was getting a code (PO325) for bank 1 knock sensor on my 2001 4Runner. I pulled everything apart, changed the sensors and changed the harness. Everything has been replaced and it is still throwing the code.

Little history on this runner, its supercharged and has the TRD 7th injector kit. Last year, it was throwing a code for the throttle position sensor. I replaced the throttle body and the code continued. I finally replaced the ecu and it remedied the problem (Toyota couldn't even figure the problem out). I have a feeling this is where I'm at again.

Now, for the other electrical problems, for a year or so, when its in drive, my front corner lights light up dim and my pillar gauge faces also light up dim. Last night, a new development happened. The shifter will no longer let me shift out of park, the button won't depress. My brake switch is working as my brake lights come on. Additionally, the windows, sunroof and rear window suddenly won't roll down. And finally, my brake light is on even with the parking brake disengaged and the brake master full of fluid.

Any ideas? Where to start?
Old 11-10-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rmlamp
Alright, this is a doozie so bear with me, any ideas are much appreciated. A few weeks back, I was getting a code (PO325) for bank 1 knock sensor on my 2001 4Runner. I pulled everything apart, changed the sensors and changed the harness. Everything has been replaced and it is still throwing the code.

Little history on this runner, its supercharged and has the TRD 7th injector kit. Last year, it was throwing a code for the throttle position sensor. I replaced the throttle body and the code continued. I finally replaced the ecu and it remedied the problem (Toyota couldn't even figure the problem out). I have a feeling this is where I'm at again.

Now, for the other electrical problems, for a year or so, when its in drive, my front corner lights light up dim and my pillar gauge faces also light up dim. Last night, a new development happened. The shifter will no longer let me shift out of park, the button won't depress. My brake switch is working as my brake lights come on. Additionally, the windows, sunroof and rear window suddenly won't roll down. And finally, my brake light is on even with the parking brake disengaged and the brake master full of fluid.

Any ideas? Where to start?
Super weird electrical issues are almost always either ground problems or voltage problems. Verify you have 12.5 volts or better off your battery with key off and just for fun load test. Retest voltage inside the fuse box; should be the same. Remove and clean both terminals; I like to slather on petroleum jelly. Check cables for any sign of corrosion, including bubbling insulation which means a problem underneath.

Check grounds, specifically the one on the fender wall by the battery and the one below the diagnostic plug on the engine. I'd remove and clean both terminals and clean the place where they contact the truck.

Also keep an eye out for rodent damage on the wiring somewhere. That can wreak havoc on an electrical system.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Last edited by TheDurk; 11-10-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDurk
Super weird electrical issues are almost always either ground problems or voltage problems. Verify you have 12.5 volts or better off your battery with key off and just for fun load test. Retest voltage inside the fuse box; should be the same. Remove and clean both terminals; I like to slather on petroleum jelly. Check cables for any sign of corrosion, including bubbling insulation which means a problem underneath.

Check grounds, specifically the one on the fender wall by the battery and the one below the diagnostic plug on the engine. I'd remove and clean both terminals and clean the place where they contact the truck.

Also keep an eye out for rodent damage on the wiring somewhere. That can wreak havoc on an electrical system.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
I have resolved the park lock and window issue and am now onto the lights on in drive problem. I have narrowed it down to the "gauge" circuit. When I pull the fuse for the "gauge circuit", the lights go off. There is also a weird hum coming from behind the gauge cluster and interference coming through the speakers. I'm thinking there is a problem behind the dash.