Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

helix power tower

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question helix power tower

Has anyone out there tried the helix power tower on a 3.4l V6? Does it live up to the hype? I've heard that it makes an annoying high pitched sound, is that so? Thanks for any info you can give me.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:47 PM

Check out some other posts on this site. It has been discussed a few times with peoples comments....
Old 12-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

chech out this thread
Old 12-07-2002, 01:06 AM

i have it, doesnt do anything. it whistles
Old 12-07-2002, 05:15 AM

I have it and it does whistle..... I noticed that my truck tended to whistle after I installed the K&N filter, and the whistling seemed to increase a little more broadly across the spectrum with the powere tower. I noticed quite a bit of increase in power, a slight increase in as mileage, and my car seemed to run smoother. I couldn't tell if it was all attributed to the powere tower through, because I installed it at 50k when I put new plugs in etc. At 70k my mass airflow sensor when bad. I had to pay Toyota $39 dollars to diagnose the problem and the tech their swore up and down that it was the Helix Power Tower and my K&N filter that were causing the problem, and if I took them off the sensor would start working again. I took them both off, and my car still ran like ˟˟˟˟, so I ordered a new mass air flow sensor, installed it, drove it a few days with, and then dropped both my K&N and the Helix back in. I thought there was a night and day differnce with and without it. I makest he car wake up.

There a couple of things in my mind that support this thing... first physics. I learned when cause a fluid to vortex through a opening, it will help create less resistence when the fluid is moving through.... This is the basic princple behind why more air possible gets into your engine.
Another thing which might help, is the metal gasket that the people provide with the HPT. The gasket that comes stock on your vehicle, doesn't maximize the use of the opening. It looks sorta like a metal pipe that was flattened on one side. I can't recollect what side is flattened, but this was actually one thing that really bothered me about putting the the HPT on. When I was looking at the gasket after my second installation, it got me think that it might have been flattened like that for a specific purpose..... Corey, Jay, Input Please..... I noticed at my second install that I had a greasy black residue flowing along the bottom of the air intack and into the engine. I thought maybe.... which is probably pretty stupid that the original gasket was intended to stop some of this....????

Whatever you decide there will be people that swear up and down on both sides of the issue. I have a new mercedes and some of the guys on the Mercedes forum swear up and down that the K&N filters are some of the worst things for you vehicle, because they allow to many extra particulates into you engine, which a stock filter doesn't.....
Old 12-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know.

There I said it. you happy? :eek:

Jay
Old 12-09-2002, 05:15 AM

People on Tundra Solutions dynoed it and then renamed it the "Power Toilet".

I can not see any way that the thing can do what they claim on the type of fuel injection system we have on our trucks. I was telling people so when this same discussion came up on 4x4 Wire. A guy claiming to be the owner of the company popped in to defend his product. I told him to put up or shut up and send me one to test just like I have tested several other things. Well he chose to shut up and tucked his tail and never came back. That should tell you something right there.

It may have some benifit on a throttle body fuel injection system, but not on ours.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 12-09-2002, 07:03 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
A big thanks to Gadget (not that others don't deserve a thank you).

I certainly appreciate the assistance so I spend my $$ wisely. I was eye-balling the Helix myself and was skeptical but interested. Now I can afford something useful, like muffler bearings!

Seriously, thanks guys.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:38 PM

I like the name "power toilet". Has anyone seen the dyno results for a 4unner? I'm guessing the effectiveness of a product of this type, is probably going to be directly related to specific design of each individual vehicle engine model its applied too. Some people drop a K&N filter in their car expecting it to increase the air flow to there engine, but the filter wasn't what was restricing the amount of air flow. I've felt that I've had an increase in HP, maybe I'll get around to Dynoing it. Does anyone else have one of these besides me?

Rick... I would really like to get some of those muffler bearings your talking about... Do you have any specific vendors you could recommend. I've never heard of them before, but they sound very cool....
Old 12-09-2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by getchellad

Rick... I would really like to get some of those muffler bearings your talking about... Do you have any specific vendors you could recommend. I've never heard of them before, but they sound very cool
Try these guys for all of you performance needs:

Kale Auto

Look under the parts section
Old 12-09-2002, 02:29 PM

Okay, that is funny. O-pipe, blinker fluid, muffler bearing...very funny indeed!