Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Heads up '03 w/ AirSusp

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heads up '03 w/ AirSusp

Went to the dealer today to get an oil change (make the switch from the reg oil to the synth.) It seems that if you have the rear air level/ride something has to be disabled before you lift the '03. If it isn't disabled, they air bladders will blow out. Something to be aware of.

That said, my dealership is incompetent, knows zero about the 2003 model 4Runner... Took a hour and a half to change the oil (they say "Express" 30min) The Service Mgr came out and crawled all over them. I didn't see one pleased person in the place. They spent 45min trying to figure out if my '03 has the air leveler... They never even bothered to ask me.
The best ! Was the guy who has a service light come on. They made him wait 4hrs... Know what the problem was ? His gas cap was loose. LOL ! Jeez.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

JGage:

yeah i kinda figured that would be the case. the new xreas system is really cool but way too much for me. since i have the good ol sr5 that didn't come w/ it lifting mine shouldn't be that hard !

i have no idea how u'd disable that, figure someone will figure it out. It's gotta be someone that has it and wants to lift it tho :rolleyes:
Old 01-31-2003, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

I waited 1.5 hours for an oil change one time. I complained to the service manager, and got the oil change for free ($55).

Needless to say, that is the last time I let the dealer change the oil. (I dont know why I ever did in the first place)

You should have asked for a deal. That is ludicrous!
Old 01-31-2003, 02:31 PM
CTB

Wow, $55 is an expensive oil change!!! Ridiculous in fact.

Anyway, about the air bags. Some other cars have this as well - Lincolns, Mercurys, Ford Expeditions. Whenever we put them on a lift, you had to disable the air suspensions, or like JGage posted earlier, you could blow a bag. Well, the Expeditions have a defeat switch under the dash, while the Lincolns/Mercurys had their's in the trunk.

Maybe try looking under your dash or in the owner's manual to see how to defeat it on the new 4runner's.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
$55 for an oil change and I thought $24 was outrageous.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed my oil, after I went to autozone and got better ramps I did the change in like 20 minutes originally took me from noon to 5pm:confused: now just to kind out what needs to be greased under it, I saw a grease fitting on the front drive shaft but nothin else, the Toyota parts guys swore to me that nothin needed grease except for spraying the bushings ever oil change.

The Rear Height Control, anyone who has it must not be the brightest to not know they have it, their is 2 switches 1 which controls the up and down and 2 which turns it on and off, when off it lights up on the dash, not like you can miss it it says off.

How people manage to buy these vehicles with all this technical ˟˟˟˟ in them and they don't even open the owners manual
Old 01-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

oh man....Service Departments! i hate service departments. They always take too long to do a really bad job. They always seem to mess up my car. The worst luck has been with my dads new lexus. I took it in for him one time for an oil change, and some worker there thougth he was supposed to deliver the car to some one accross town. I had to sit there for about two hours and wait for him to bring the car back. Then another time taht it was there, they ran it into a wall and messed the paint up on the bumper and repainted it but it looks terible. err....then theres my car. i have taken it in soooo many times for the axle seal, and i just found out about 20 mins ago that it is broken again. My brakes are all jacked up again. I have never had a good experience with a dealership service dept. I have more storries, but i will spare y'all. lol. :pat:
Old 01-31-2003, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Good reminder, JGage, thanks. The owner's manual (p. 159) has a notice to turn the height control AND engine off before jacking or the auto level function can activate. Also, there's a warning label on the driver's side of the console repeating the notice. But, that's why I've done all of my own maintenance for what seems like forever, even on those vehicles with free service included. Peace of mind and I find it rewarding knowing it was done right. Just keep all the receipts, use OEM parts, and you'll be fully covered during warranty.

Another consideration for the rear air cars is to keep the spare in place. I dropped mine to store it like always, but for laughs slid underneath to take a look at the suspension bits. Mounted to the underside of the floor and protected by the spare when it's in place is the suspension ECU and air pump. The ECU is the size of a small laptop and the pump/reservoir looks like a small volleyball. The spare went back in to act as a buffer against debris that could take out the VERY expensive looking bits that wouldn't be warrantied if hit, I'd guess.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:32 PM

good times.
This has nothing to do w/ the X-Reas...
Old 01-31-2003, 07:42 PM

Wanna hear about horrible things, I was at the dealer today and an SR5 that was not even sold still had the plastic on it was getting a new windsheild:pat:

BT17R
If you have 4wheel drive than Im driving the exact truck you are:rolleyes:
Old 01-31-2003, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DavidO06
i have taken it in soooo many times for the axle seal, and i just found out about 20 mins ago that it is broken again. :pat:
I had the same problem with my axle seal on my 98!

The first one was legit, but the second time it was from the front diff breather being clogged with mud (my bad!)

Just an idea if they/you dont know why it keeps happening.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

EDGE, the rear air suspension is only available on 4WD V-8 Limiteds for now. Sounds like we have the same rig! It has what feels like amazing wheel travel. I've intentionally run over bumps and dips that used to upset my FJ100 and the 'Runner barely notices it. I think it's a great combination with the X-REAS and is the reason I chose it over a GX470. I've said it before, but I think this truck is better in almost every way than an FJ100.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

hey 55 is not bad, last time I went to the dealer (last time i'm every going) it cost me 120 (around there) for the oil change, they charged me 12 extra for skid plate removal, the rest of it was like 90 something for the maximum stuffs in the book I got w/the 4runner
Old 02-01-2003, 02:45 AM

BT17R
I can not agree with you more, this truck is awesome I don't have an FJ but in my 2000LE Pathfinder compared to this, damn I can't feel a thing on the road, I mean spots where the traffic has put ripples in the road I go over and I really feel nothin. Everyday with this tuck just keeps getting better.

As for the GX I compared that to and just wanted the 4Runner, in my mind if the 2 trucks got in a fight the 4Runner would win cause physically it looks cut.

Do you still have the FJ cause you going from that to this is a world of differents
Old 02-01-2003, 03:33 AM

The owner's manual (p. 159) has a notice to turn the height control AND engine off before jacking or the auto level function can activate.
Ahh, see I didn't read that because I don't have the air <G> only the X-Reas, so it was news to me.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:38 AM
CTB

Sleepy....I can't believe an oil change cost you that much. You can do it all yourself for:

6 qts oil - $11
1 filter - $4
filter wrench - $4
drain pan - $6

Go for it!!!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by EDGE
Do you still have the FJ cause you going from that to this is a world of differents
The FJ100 (my last was a '00) is long gone, with a Sequoia and Tundra in the truck "fleet" between it and the 'Runner.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by sleepy1405
hey 55 is not bad, last time I went to the dealer (last time i'm every going) it cost me 120 (around there) for the oil change, they charged me 12 extra for skid plate removal, the rest of it was like 90 something for the maximum stuffs in the book I got w/the 4runner
For 120 bucks...I could afford to change my Amsoil twice a year instead of once! You can do it yourself like the others have said...don't even have to lift it. Under 1/2 hour tops. Drop the skid plate as 1 piece. I was changing my own oil almost every 6-7 weeks until I discovered Amsoil. :pat: