Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Headlight Booster kit installed, now high beams are always on!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Booster kit installed, now high beams are always on!

ok, so i bought this kit : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
(i know it says its for an Altima, but its universal for H4 systems)
anyways, i installed it and now my high beams are always on. granted there is a lot more light, but its much too high and im sure im blinding people. so did i install something incorrectly? i dont know how i could have, its plug and play. so I just dont know why this happened.
i know very little about electrical so please bear with me

-Casey
Old 12-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

I'd say if your highbeams are on whether the highbeam switch is on or off then you did something wrong. I'd go over everything and find the problem before you drive at night again. I don't know much about the electrical system either but I know enough to know that isn't right. Perhaps you accidentally spliced to the wrong leads or something.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

I think some of the kits reverse the high beam and low beam switch, try driving with the high beams on and see if it seems more like low beams.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
I think some of the kits reverse the high beam and low beam switch, try driving with the high beams on and see if it seems more like low beams.
did that, nothing.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Banned

then jsut take the kit out......

are you sure its the high beams on? or jsut increased output of the low beams?
Old 12-13-2004, 11:32 PM

Could it be that the kit is not meant for a ground switched system? Even thought it is meant for a Nissan, maybe that particular vehicle doesn't use a ground switched system. Or maybe they sent you the wrong kit??

Can you describe how the wires are hooked up? Like the trigger wires for the relays?
Old 12-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

ill snap some pics tomorrow. maybe we can figure this out. Bruce used the same kit i believe and he hasnt had problems.
i know its stuck on highbeam because i cant change from lo to hi. and im also blinding people that i pull behind. that didnt used to happen
Old 12-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Banned

yes but are you sure its not stuck on lo beam? jsut having hte percieved extra output as high beam?
Old 12-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
yes but are you sure its not stuck on lo beam? jsut having hte percieved extra output as high beam?
he's sure.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:15 AM

switch the relays, that might be the cause of it. I sell these at work, and ussaly the problomes always trace back to the relays. Ive sold over 100 sets, and only had one time the wireing has been bad
Old 12-14-2004, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

THIS IS FOR **H4** TYPE BULBS,IT USE HI-GRADE HEAD LIGHTS POWER TUNE-UP CONVERSION HIGH OUTPUT WIRE HARNESS KITS, THIS SET **DID NOT** INCLUDING ONE PAIR OF H4 100/90W XENON HID BULBS AND IT CAN TUNE UP YOUR BULBS FROM 100/80W TO 130/110W WITHOUT HURTING OR MELTING YOUR WIRING.

[Dr. Evil voice] RIIIIGHT

How the hell do you "tune up a bulb"? I understand the benfits of reducing the dropped voltage but jeez, Engrish much?
Old 12-14-2004, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Hotpants
ill snap some pics tomorrow. maybe we can figure this out. Bruce used the same kit i believe and he hasnt had problems.
i know its stuck on highbeam because i cant change from lo to hi. and im also blinding people that i pull behind. that didnt used to happen
Bruce does have that kit, and he told me that he runs the high and low beams together. I don't know if it allows the two to be run together, or requires that they run together. Hopefully he will reply here soon.

Yamarocket650: I think what he is saying is that you can step up to higher wattage bulbs without frying the wiring... With the stock wiring, if you go to 130W Hi beams you will be in trouble. Imagine running the 130W and the 110W together?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:45 AM

that ebay will not work for a toyota.
I had that kit once before, ran into the same problems.
Something about the high beam switch uses a different current pattern.
Read about it from RogerBrown: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#WiringHarness

See if you can exhachage it out for this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WD1V
or
Old 12-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

That being said, anybody know where to get a harness like the one in Roger's write-up since the Depot is defunct? I just want the harness, not the "bubs."

Last edited by keisur; 12-14-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wvuviv30
that ebay will not work for a toyota.
I had that kit once before, ran into the same problems.
Something about the high beam switch uses a different current pattern.
Read about it from RogerBrown: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#WiringHarness

See if you can exhachage it out for this one:
or
aside from the bulbs being included, what is the difference in those kits from mine?

well i did take the kit out today and installed my stock headlights back in there, good as new. but i would like some more light output, can I make this kit work? or will i have to order the toyota specific ones?

-Casey
Old 12-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Casey, Like I said in our PM's, just bring it over to my house and I'll get it working.

I rewired mine to work with the low beams then when I switch on the high beams the lows are on as well. I may add another switch to turn off the lows when the highs are on as well.

Making the kit work is easy, but trying to truobleshoot the problem online is near impossible.

The harness kit on Roger Brown's website linked, is exactly what I used.

Did you properly ground the wires at the plugs?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:41 PM

I've heard of that upgrade where you can run both the low and high beam filaments in an H4 bulb. That's dangerous though...the H4 bulb is not designed to have both filaments on at the same time and the extra heat produced by the bulb may very well cause the bulb to explode. The bulb globe is only designed for a certain internal pressure and the extra heat will exceed that design pressure. I don't think there are any benefits to having both lights on at the same time anyways. Just a safety comment...
Old 12-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

you can run both the low and high beams at the same time if you just hold the lever back instead of popping it forward. I think it's the "bright flash" feature. anyway when you pull the lever toward you to flash the brights the lows are also on then. so just hold that lever back if you want them both to burn.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JC_ez
I've heard of that upgrade where you can run both the low and high beam filaments in an H4 bulb. That's dangerous though...the H4 bulb is not designed to have both filaments on at the same time and the extra heat produced by the bulb may very well cause the bulb to explode. The bulb globe is only designed for a certain internal pressure and the extra heat will exceed that design pressure. I don't think there are any benefits to having both lights on at the same time anyways. Just a safety comment...
I've done it to my other vehicle for years and never heard of a bulb exploding Even if it did manage to blow up, it would not have the explosive force to shatter the headlight housing. The only thing that will happen is shortening the life of the bulb, which doesn't bother me, they are cheap. If you saw the amount of light and the spread with both beams on, you'd understand the advantage. When I go play offroad at night having the low beams helps with spotting objects nearby, then the high beams covers my mid range veiwing and the driving lights I have cover my extended range, all this without having to install a bunch of extra lights like many do.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

ill see when i can get free, my work schedule is super lame, if nothing else, ill see what other times we are both free and get together then.

Quick Reply: Headlight Booster kit installed, now high beams are always on!