Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Headers (or options?) for a '97 3.4 T4R

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers (or options?) for a '97 3.4 T4R

I've been scouring the Internet(s) looking for info, and yet to find a decent explanation.

I recently purchased a beast of a vehicle - '97 3.4 4x4 5sp T4R - 176k miles. I don't call it a truck, I call it an awesome. Best purchase in a long while. I'm falling asleep each night dreaming of all the stuff I want to do to it.

Prioritizing though, brakes are getting thin - and the Tundra 195mm brake mod looks very appealing. That will be soon - and I've found enough info on that.

The exhaust is another challenge. I've found plenty of info from the cat and back (even found references to an in-between when replacing the cat and your O2 sensor to make your ECU happy). I've found info for '99+ on headers, but once I search for '97 everything goes a little ka-ka. I really don't care about sound, performance is already very pleasing (but who couldn't use a bit more - just not a priority for me) - my real priority is longevity. I want an exhaust system I'll add on now - and not have to think twice about in the next 10 years. My thinking was some SS or ceramic coated headers - but for some reason the '97 has something that prevents any of the headers I'm reading about from being installed.....

Anyone have a '96-'98 3.4 T4R they've installed some long lasting, affordable, possibly 1-2% performance enhancing headers/Y pipe on?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 PM

Try these out. I am not sure on your budget. But I have heard good things. http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPath=93_120
Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM

Holy awesome link, Batman.

I went to Doug Thorley's site - when I plug in '97 3.4 it only shows cat-back stuff (at least thats the way I remember it).

Definitely will check these out. I've heard Thorley enough around here to know they're not junk, will likely add some performance (measured by the seat of the pants meter).

Need to figure out which I need now - haven't had to determine if I have an EGR yet or not....
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM

you might want to consider a supercharger over headers
Old 09-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Not that interested in forced induction. I understand $ for $ that it might be better for power, but that isn't what I'm trying to do.

I want an exhaust system that is indestructible. If 10+ years from now everything else rusted off the frame, I'd like to be able to take it off and have someone else use it.

Improving the design, if it happens, would also be cool.

My muffler is bulging at the seam with rust, the cat doesn't look so good. Replacing both soon is unavoidable. A quick look, the pipes in front of the cat don't look great. It doesn't make sense to me to fight rusted bolts in front of the cat, knowing the whole time that I'll probably be back in <1 year to replace the pipes between the cat and the engine. Which is why I'm looking for some indestructible headers.... or more clearly, something between the engine and the cat that is indestructible. The Toyota "log" doesn't have a good name, so replacing it with factory doesn't seem like something recommended.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

Don't waste your time and $ with headers on a N/A 3.4. Ask me how I know.

I run a Jardine Cat Back on mine, made by Thorley originally I believe. I am very happy with it. I think I've had the exhaust for 2 years now or something. No issues.

Link to exhaust testing and other vids is in my sig.

If I could go back in time I would gladly have kept the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds vs. drop $600+ and 8hrs on headers - and I am saying this after SC'ing.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 AM

headers

if you want headers go with the TRDs have seen them go for 500 with shipping on ebay. They are made from thick 304 stainless piping and cast 304 flanges that are laser cut and weled together. The build quality is second to none!!! fitment garunteed. If to make the last even longer have them ceramic coated from jet hot (price 250+) or performance coatings (price 160) get a satin black best coating. if you do this they will last longer than anything else on your Truck.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 AM

The more I think about it, the more I change my mind.

Agree with essentially everyone, which is what is making it tougher.

Headers are expensive, no matter which way you look at it - expensive in parts and effort (labor if you pay someone else, hours if you do it yourself). Even OEM replacements are expensive (in both T&M).

Forever is a long time, and knowing myself if I still have the truck a decade from now (that someone hasn't taken it from me by some accident or other) - I would love to swap the engine for a diesel - in which case the headers wouldn't do me much good. So, planning for 10 years out is more reasonable. Spending $1,000 on a part of the exhaust, and spending 20 hours on it doesn't seem that desirable. I think what I was looking for was a better option that stock if I was going to replace it anyway.

What I did find was information that I didn't have before - and for that I thank everyone posting here.

The 96-98 years (if I read correctly) have a different EGR (exhaust gas recirculator) setup than 99+. This is the reason I couldn't find much for my '97. Now that I know what I'm looking for - I need to make time to look hard at the truck and figure out what I need and what I want - and figure out what I can afford after that....

Thanks everyone for the info. Will make a new post with any pictures (if they're special...)
Old 09-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

I thought I felt a difference when I installed mine (in N/A form) but after a bunch of test runs in each direction, I could get no measurable difference on the stopwatch. Blech.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by rimpainter.com
I thought I felt a difference when I installed mine (in N/A form) but after a bunch of test runs in each direction, I could get no measurable difference on the stopwatch. Blech.
x2, headers aren't worth the hassle/price unless you are S/C'd. Spend your cash elsewhere.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:02 AM

Hmm, no one has suggested ExtrudeHoning the foctory iron exhaust manifolds. Stealthy, effective and durable.

STICK