Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

headers or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headers or not?

Hi Everyone,
I just started my list of things to get before i tear down my 92 truck for yet another blown head gasket (should have kept the last list). Same old story right? Well, my question is should i go with headers or just fight with stock manifold? Also is there a gasket set out there that will actually work?The last Felpro and Toyotas didn't. Any input would will be appreciated
Old 11-25-2005, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
which engien do you have? 22R-E(4 cylinder) or the 3VZ-E(6 cylinder)? if you're blowing head gaskets, most definitely take your head into a good machine shop and have it checked out. it could be warped, and if so they may be able to resurface it.

the best gasket in a normally aspirated setup would be a slipper plate type gasket like the OEM toyota one, or one of engnbldr's rock brand gaskets.

the stock manifold on '85-newer 22R and 22R-E engines is a pretty good piece, it's sort of a tri-y design. if you decide you want to do a header, get one of LC's headers or a thorley.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by festus
should i go with headers
Judging by the fact that you said 'headers,' I'm assuming you are dealing with a 3.0. In that case yes, you should go with headers. I hope you are checking your heads and block for warpage.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:06 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I've been wrestling with the header question for a while now too. From all the responses on this board, seems folks who have them are split fairly even on whether they worth it. About one fourth seem to feel they didn't make any difference, and the rest are split between Must Have them and They're okay but not great.

I've been considering some head porting and big valves, and headers. Seems like the only cost-effective true power-making mods for the 3.0. But mine runs so well, I just hate to mess with it. Plus, it's got a zillion-ish miles on it... If it dies, then I have to decide to rebuild (with mods) or swap in something better (think small block.)

Oh if only money were no object...
Old 11-25-2005, 05:21 PM

It's a 3.0

sorry about that . It's a 3.0
Old 11-25-2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
Judging by the fact that you said 'headers,' I'm assuming you are dealing with a 3.0. In that case yes, you should go with headers. I hope you are checking your heads and block for warpage.
whats the pvc mods and drilled air box
Old 11-25-2005, 11:00 PM

I would do it just to prevent the #6 valve from burning. If I didn't have to replace the heads during this last valve job, I would have added headers. This is the 2nd time #6 has burnt.

Last edited by abalagtas; 11-25-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abalagtas
I would do it just to prevent the #6 valve from burning. If I didn't have to replace the heads during this last valve job, I would have added headers. This is the 2nd time #6 has burnt.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flamedx4
I've been wrestling with the header question for a while now too. From all the responses on this board, seems folks who have them are split fairly even on whether they worth it. About one fourth seem to feel they didn't make any difference, and the rest are split between Must Have them and They're okay but not great.

I've been considering some head porting and big valves, and headers. Seems like the only cost-effective true power-making mods for the 3.0. But mine runs so well, I just hate to mess with it. Plus, it's got a zillion-ish miles on it... If it dies, then I have to decide to rebuild (with mods) or swap in something better (think small block.)

Oh if only money were no object...
I'm in the exact same camp as you. One of the things that concerns me about headers is the cost to benefit ratio, but also the fact that I am concerned about things like leaks, so I'd probably find a good reputable exhaust shop to do it who will warranty their work. The other thing that concerns me is under the hood temps. I don't want to have to deal with any cables or carpets getting fried.

The more I look at it the more I think I'm just going to leave the stock exhaust manifold alone and have a full exhaust system plubmed in 2 1/4" mandrel bent pipe from the manifold back with a higher flow cat and a Borla Turbo Muffler.