Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Head Unit Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Unit Removal

Well, I did a search and can't find any info. I have a 96 taco and just sold the Kenwood cd player on ebay. I guess I should have figured out the easiest way to get it out. I am sure it cant' be that hard, just need someone to point me in the right direction.
Thanks-
Brad

Last edited by Brad; 06-25-2004 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the crutchfield info at home, so if this thread isn't solved by others by later today just let me know and I'll regurgitate it when I'm at home. But here is the best from memory.... Tools needed = phillips screwdriver

1. Remove the bottom part facia below the main front center console. This should be where your 12V power adapters are. Do this by removing the two plastic plugs on either side of it. The plastic plugs are round with a seperate center piece. Push the center piece in with something small, and it will release the mechanism holding those plugs in. It is actually quite clever. REmove the plugs and pull that whole piece outward. You don't have to actually remove it, just pull it out so it is out of the way.

2. After removing the lower facia, you have exposed the lower portion of the main center console. Remove the ash tray. This exposes a screw in the back of the ashtray that you have to unscrew. I think there are two screws on each side of the lower part the main center console, too. Something like that....the screws are obvious whever they are.

3. Remove the all the knobs for your fan control, temp control, etc. that are located on the top portion of the main center console. On my '03 (and previous '01) they are round turning knobs, but I think they were horizontal sliders on a '96. They should just remove by pulling on them. AFter the knobs are removed, pull the plate behind them off. After that plate is off, two screws are exposed on the top left and right corners behind the plate. Unscrew those.

4. Pull the whole main center piece off by pulling it towards you (the black part of the console, not the exposed part underneath). THe entire thing is one unit, from the vents down to the ash tray spot. I was nervous about pulling hard because it still feels secure, but that is just plastic resistance. Once it is popped off, you can access your stereo. It sounds like you already have an aftermarket one in there, so you'll have to figure out how to get that out!

Like I said, this is regurgitated from memory. I can cross reference later when I'm at home because I still have the crutchfield instructions. Good luck.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 06-25-2004 at 07:54 AM.