Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Head Gasket issue or?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket issue or?

Ok,
I recently picked up a 97 4Runner for $2000. the Body is in awesome shape as is the interior. I have a 98 4Runner with a new water pump and timing belt in it. The 97 was said to have a seized engine and I got it started but then it dies. I looked at the radiator and there was no fluid in it, and the oil was full with a tan milkshake appearance. From previous Toyotas I think that the head is either warped or cracked. Is there easy way to find out for sure, or is this a sure sign of HG? IS this also maybe a water pump issue? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 AM

It's either a head gasket or the oil cooler, but if the engine was run for a while with that crap in it the bearings are probably done. I would either get a salvage engine or rebuild it.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 AM

How can I tell if it is the oil cooler? I have a good engine in my 98 4runner, I bough tthe 97 as the body is in great shape and my 98 was in front end collision. My motor in the 98 has new timing belt, water pump ,and I can go out start it and run it forever no problems. I may just swap out engines, and not looking forward to it, but have the time to do it. Just want to be sure Im not doing more than I need to. Is there a way to check its the HG before tackling it? I have replaced Hgs on the old 22re engines and just need to check alll the fsm I can for this engine before diving in.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Heres another part that may be important. When I got the truck home, the oil looked clean, except for the milky part, and the radiator was empty of fluid, looked like it was cleaned out. The guy I bought it from told me that the tech he took it too told him it was pssobily the timing belt, but I am thinking maybe somethign else, since it does turn over and start.If the water pump was bad, would it cause water to get into the oil?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by dbole
Heres another part that may be important. When I got the truck home, the oil looked clean, except for the milky part, and the radiator was empty of fluid, looked like it was cleaned out. The guy I bought it from told me that the tech he took it too told him it was pssobily the timing belt, but I am thinking maybe somethign else, since it does turn over and start.If the water pump was bad, would it cause water to get into the oil?
No, the water pump can NOT cause water to mix with the oil. You could bypass the oil cooler coolant hoses and then change the oil and run it to see if the milkshake returns. Its most likely a head gasket issue, bearings could also be hurt if its been ran in this condition for any length of time. I think an engine swap is in order.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ntoracn
No, the water pump can NOT cause water to mix with the oil. You could bypass the oil cooler coolant hoses and then change the oil and run it to see if the milkshake returns. Its most likely a head gasket issue, bearings could also be hurt if its been ran in this condition for any length of time. I think an engine swap is in order.
That si what I am thinking at this time also, just not looking forward to it. This will be my first engine swap so may be posting alot of questions and pictures. What is good place to find the FSM for this? I saw the posting here but it is divided up into sections and pages, I dont want to print the whole thing out, but may just keep referring back to it and the posts of other guys who have done this job. Thanks for the info and will let you all know how it goes. Any thing I need to look out for?