Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Has anyone replaced 3RZ balance shaft bearings??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone replaced 3RZ balance shaft bearings?? (PICS)

I'm rebuilding a 3RZ block that had spun a rod bearing and upon inspection both balance shafts look like they got hot and discolored and the innermost bearings are gouged. They look like pressed in bearings, kind of like cam bearings in a pushrod engine, and I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced them. I went to stealer to get part #'s and they don't have a part # and it also doesn't show up on the schematic. I think it's considered non serviceable but have found the bearings available online.

I know LC has the balance shaft delete option but not looking to go that route since it's my DD.

Gouged Bearing

As you can see the balance shafts have lost or at least altered their temper

Last edited by Uisge Beathe; 08-13-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added Pics
Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
delete them its not hard and hardly noticable.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 AM

I have never replaced them, but been inside many of the 3 and 2RZ engines.

Just get a cam bearing installer/remover and go to town.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by martinfan30
I have never replaced them, but been inside many of the 3 and 2RZ engines.

Just get a cam bearing installer/remover and go to town.
Yeah that's exactly what I had alredy done, thank you though for responding.

Quick Update: Popped the bearings out and just replaced them with identical cam shaft bearings that my machine shop already had in stock, saved the $40 that is LCE's going rate for the balance shaft bearings. Speaking of the balance shafts...I was talking to the owner of the machine shop about my concerns with the balance shafts appearing to have overheated and possibly altered their temper. He was quick to point out that they were probably discolored as a result of induction hardening and then showed me a bunch of diesel engine cam shafts he had laying around that had the same discoloration.

Honestly kind of surprised at the lack of response from the people on here that have done rebuilds not chiming in to either suggest they are fine and look similar to theirs or to say "HOLY CRAP mine didn't look anything like that". Anyway..had the machine shop mic the balance shafts and they were "True" so I had them polished out.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I am going to delete them or not, but that is another thread.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/w.../#post51531214
Old 08-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Uisge Beathe
Yeah that's exactly what I had alredy done, thank you though for responding.

Quick Update: Popped the bearings out and just replaced them with identical cam shaft bearings that my machine shop already had in stock, saved the $40 that is LCE's going rate for the balance shaft bearings. Speaking of the balance shafts...I was talking to the owner of the machine shop about my concerns with the balance shafts appearing to have overheated and possibly altered their temper. He was quick to point out that they were probably discolored as a result of induction hardening and then showed me a bunch of diesel engine cam shafts he had laying around that had the same discoloration.

Honestly kind of surprised at the lack of response from the people on here that have done rebuilds not chiming in to either suggest they are fine and look similar to theirs or to say "HOLY CRAP mine didn't look anything like that". Anyway..had the machine shop mic the balance shafts and they were "True" so I had them polished out.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I am going to delete them or not, but that is another thread.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/w.../#post51531214
Yes they do show signs of coloration from normal manufacturing. I have seen that on many internal engine parts (brand new) that I have installed.

I too am surprised as to the lack of activity in this forum. I thought this would be an amazing resource of knowledge, but not so much.

How ever, I do plan on sticking around and offering advise and just cruising the threads for info.