Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

harmonice balancer bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harmonice balancer bolt

any tips on removing the one and only bolt that keeps me from completing my project of changing my broken harmonic balancer for a new one. it is the bolt that holds the balancer ( the main pulleyon the bottom of the engine) to the crankshaft with a 19mm head. i cannot turn it for anything. the only thing that turns is the entire engine and drive line. i have the truck in 5th gear and e-brake on all the way. i can hear the engine turning and the drive shaft turning whiile i try to turn this simple bolt. i fear doing damage to the engine by giving to much stress to the drive line and internal engine components ( is that possible?)any suggestions. i hope to goodness that its not a reverse bolt( righty loosy lefty tighty) or i have way overtightened it haha.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is not a reverse bolt, but it is however, on there but good.
You need a 3 ft pipe (slide the pipe over a ratchet handle) and a 24 in chain wrench to get it off.
Can rent the stuff at most tool rental stores
Use them in opposite directions to get the bolt off.
Make sure to retorque to same specs.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:48 PM

this may only be a question of semantics............but is it really a balancer or is that just a common term for the crankshaft pulley??

i was under the assumption that most engines made within the last 10+ years were internally balanced hence no need for an external balancer.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:05 PM

Getting it off is the easy part. The hard part is reinstalling it to the proper torque of 250 NM.

There is a Special Service Tool (SST) that is made for this. It locks onto the pulley to hold it still so you can take that bolt off and properly reinstall it.

If you do not properly reinstall it, the bolt will back out and allow the pulley to move off of the woodruff key and then the crank spins inside the pulley and destroy both.

So, what I am saying is do not take it off until you have a sound plan for putting it back on.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 12-29-2003, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well... the easy way to take it off is to get a 1/2" breaker bar and stick it next to the passenger side of the frame while its attached to the bolt.. then unplug the coil and tap the starter 1 time, it will easily take the bolt off--the starter does the work instead of you.

reinstalling: get some red locktite and tighten with breaker bar--wont come off.

T
Old 12-29-2003, 09:29 PM

I replaced my main seal the other day and couldn't get that bolt off. After a couple of days of trying my friend asked if I tryed my air impac wrench. At first I thought it wouldn't make a difference but it came off as easy as a lug nut.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:13 AM

If removing the bolt was the easy part then I wouldnt be writing this post. Anyways..thats for the suggestions , ill try them today.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Drape a moving blanket over your fender, inside and out, on the passenger side. Place some blocks of wood under the blanket where the wrench may hit the fender. Put a breaker bar with a 3' pipe on the nut as perpendicular as you can to the ground. Now stand on the bumper, and start pulling. if you need more leverage like i did, you will have to put both feet on the fender and pull with everything you have. Comes right off once you are standing on the fender. But it is hard to catch yourself before you hit the ground on your a$$.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by joez
Drape a moving blanket over your fender, inside and out, on the passenger side. Place some blocks of wood under the blanket where the wrench may hit the fender. Put a breaker bar with a 3' pipe on the nut as perpendicular as you can to the ground. Now stand on the bumper, and start pulling. if you need more leverage like i did, you will have to put both feet on the fender and pull with everything you have. Comes right off once you are standing on the fender. But it is hard to catch yourself before you hit the ground on your a$$.
I am having a bit of trouble udnerstanding all of this. Do you have a picture of you molesting your truck like that???

That should make a great picture...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com