Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

hard and notchy shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy hard and notchy shifting

Hey guys i'm out of ideas because i can't fix my hard and notchy shifts. Well to make the story short i changed my clutch master cylinder like 5 months ago and about 3 month after the using that new cmc my probelm started. Whats happening is that rite now, going 1st to 2nd its notchy, 2nd to 3rd is fine, and 3rd to 4th i have to pause unless i force it in, the rest of the gears are fine. So what i have done so far as of the past week, i change my clutch slave cylinder, change my transfer case and tranny fuild to gl4 75w90 royal purple. Also since the problem started its really hard to shift when the tranny is cold. By doing all the aboved, it seem to help out a bit, but still not like how it use to be. So where i'm lost is, when i turn off the car and change the gear without stepping on the clutch it would shift fine (so i think the trannys fine). (MOTOR STILL OFF) If i would just step on the clutch and go into 4th i can't, feels like the gate is blocking me. (i pick 4th gear because its the hardest to shift into) In order to be able to shift into 4th gear i would have to press the clutch again, go into 3rd and come back to 4th so i can go in. Today, and again with the car off i just notice that if i go into gears and after releasing the clutch i will hear something poping, can that be the throwout bearing? If i stay in neutral and step on the clutch i hear nothing. What is wrong with my car? I'm lost and anything would help so that i can slove these unwanting hard notchy shifts. What i really want to know is can a bad throwout bearing create these type of systoms. 2000 4runner 5sped w/ 93,XXX.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now, I have a 2nd gen 4Runner, so it might be different, but there are a couple of things that can make notchy shifting.

1) The clutch pedal needs adjusting. On your clutch linkage under the dash, is there any way you can adjust the pedal travel? If it's not pushing down far enough, you won't get full disengagement.

2) Is your clutch bracket cracked? This is a common problem on the 2nd gens...maybe they fixed the design flaw.

3) Did you bleed your clutch line?

4) Is your slave cylinder pooched?

5) Is your clutch fork cracked, bent, or otherwise non-functional?

6) Or your clutch is just worn out.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 3rd gen 4runner, but clutch pedal adjusting was done when i installed my cmc, was working for a good 3 months (perfect). Clutch bracket triple check it, nothing crack or broken. Clutch line bled, and slave cylinder just replace. The clutch fork i can't answer you on that because i haven't check it yet. The clutch was just replace 1 year ago and during that time it was working perfect too. This is why i'm lost
Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty common on our vehicles, yours seems to be worse though. I know you said you changed the fluid, but I did some reading and a common thing that seems to work fine w/o hurting anything is overfilling the tranny fluid about an eighth to a quarter quart. I did this with my truck and it shifts much smoother now...sorry if you already did this
Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have you tried shifting with out using your clutch???
it is really easy just let off the gas and pull or push the stick in to the next gear.
I find that I have to do 4th slowly but if you full it out of gear and push against the
next gear spot when it is at the right RPM it will slip in if your troubles go persist in this way
then I would suggest that little plastic piece at the bottom of the shifter is bad and if not then RobD is in the right place