Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Guess who got water in their intake...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Del

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess who got water in their intake...

...ME! Or at least I think I did. Yesterday I did some "bogging" next to Malibu Castle (off the 110 freeway), and after I went to a friends house. I left about 7 hours later and everything was fine. As I came to a red light, the RPM's dropped to 400-650. I gave it a little gas and it was fine. Next light, same thing, except this time with a shudder before I tapped the pedal.

I needed to get gas, so when I stopped I checked the air filter. Wet. Very wet. I got it as dry as possible, threw it back in (stupid I know) and went home. It stalled in the driveway.

This morning I warmed it up (auto start) and it was fine. I took apart the sleeve that connects the intake to the manifold and everything inside was dry. I went to get a new air filter and heard a "clack clack clack", almost like an old diesel engine. Happened once, went away. Changed the air filter (my thoughts were "Well maybe the filter just isn't letting enough air in." Wrong, the RPM's were still falling when I neared a stop.

I went to eat before work, and as I was leaving with my food, the "clack clack clack" came back. Again it only happened once, but at this point I got scared and called someone for a ride to work. I called my dad and expained what happened. He took the truck out and said the RPM's were still dropping, but he couldn't get the diesel sound to reproduce.

I told him I might have sucked water into the manifold, and he said for the most part the air filter would help keep it out. He took it home and let it run for a while. He called me at work and said it could be the "Throttle holder" (what keeps the RPM's where they should be). Do 4Runner's even have one?

It's going into the shop tomorrow morning to get checked out. If there is water in the engine, what's the worst case senario?

And BTW, though all of this, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Banned

if you got water in the intake it will jsut burn it off, or be ofercome with water and hydrolock... i dotn think anything is badly damaged..... it could be your tps or iac
Old 10-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Del

Well it hasn't locked up yet (that's what I was REALLY afraid of) so I guess that's a good thing...

it could be your tps or iac
What would those be?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Banned

not 100% sure you have these, but idle air control valve or throttle position sensor
Old 10-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Del

Thanks! I'll check the manual tonight after work to see if I have one. I hope I do and I hope it's that!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:45 PM

TPS is mounted on the back of the throttle body near the firewall. I don't have the specs but you have to test it with a multimeter to see if its reading correctly. Might want to also test your MAF to make sure your readings are correct there as well. Could also be water inside your distributor cap, WD-40 will usually sap the water out. Theres so many places whater can get into and cause problems. Might want to pick up a Factory Service manual, it'll pay for itself now and in the future with other problems.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you might check your distributor cap to see if theres any moisture in there, just a thought.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Del

Well the mechanic called today and said I shorted out the "air flow meter" and it was going to cost $600 just for the part. Does this sound right? If it's what I think it is, that sounds a little pricey.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
you might check your distributor cap to see if theres any moisture in there, just a thought.
Definitely do this first. Then make sure all your wires are dry inside too.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally Posted by Del
Well the mechanic called today and said I shorted out the "air flow meter" and it was going to cost $600 just for the part. Does this sound right? If it's what I think it is, that sounds a little pricey.
I think that's a little high, try looking around for one in an a salvage yard.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:41 PM

Take the intake hose off and clean it out. If you think it took on water drain the oil, if it has water it will come out before the oil. I would reccomend a bottle of marvel mystery oil with your next oil change. Clean your plugs ASAP.

I had about a gallon of water in my oil. My dumb@ss thought the hole was to deep so i'll hit it fast and flote
It took me 2 weeks to clean this after it shut down and the moment it hydrolocked I left it and went home to get another truck to tow it home. I did not try to start it for those 2weeks. After a few cranks it started (roughly) and I drove to Charlotte and bought a snorkel.

Try to clean your Mass Airflow Sensor

Last edited by Hyperlite; 10-22-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Exact same thing happend to me yesterday, drove through some water and my motor almost died so I shut her off and opened up the hood. The filter was pretty wet so I pulled off the intake and there was a bit of water in there. So just to be safe I pull the plugs and turned over the motor. I didn't lock it up but it runs like ˟˟˟˟ now. Probally need to clean or maybe replace the maf. When am I going to learn.....
Old 10-24-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Del
That is INSANE!!!

If the VAFM has shorted out, then you need to go get your truck back, drive it home, then go to a junkyard and find a car with the 7m-ge that also has a VAFM. The 7mge's VAFM puts out the EXACT same output that the 3vze's does. You will need some pipe's bent to fit it and some rubber pipe fittings. Cebby is working on this mod, and this mod will be my next mod as soon as i get some money. Once I get the fittings, this mod shouldnt take more than an hour total includeing the drive to the muffler shop to have 'em bend the pipe for me.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-24-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

I bought an air flow meter at a junk yard for $150 a year ago and it still workis fine. Don't pay $600 for one. That is what the dealership charges for a new one though.