Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

GRRRRR... Trans pan

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GRRRRR... Trans pan

Well well well... I finally found out what was wrong with my transmission for the last year.... It turns out the trans filter was clogged.. So i dropped the pan that was already leaking changed the filter... put some fluid up in there and it runs like a dream... but even with a new gasket the pan still leaked.. The last shop that worked on my truck to tap and die two broken bolts on the pan stripped out my drain plug... so now i have a leak there... so i went about and got another higher quality gasket and some silicone gasket maker.. went that route.. but on putting the pan back on the finally and last bolt broke... I am so sick of these small bolts that i am considering rethreading all the holes for bigger stronger bolts. What do you guys think about this? I am so sick of this thing leaking constantly. I just want to get it to stop leaking and run nice and smooth.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 22Ryota
Well well well... I finally found out what was wrong with my transmission for the last year.... It turns out the trans filter was clogged.. So i dropped the pan that was already leaking changed the filter... put some fluid up in there and it runs like a dream... but even with a new gasket the pan still leaked.. The last shop that worked on my truck to tap and die two broken bolts on the pan stripped out my drain plug... so now i have a leak there... so i went about and got another higher quality gasket and some silicone gasket maker.. went that route.. but on putting the pan back on the finally and last bolt broke... I am so sick of these small bolts that i am considering rethreading all the holes for bigger stronger bolts. What do you guys think about this? I am so sick of this thing leaking constantly. I just want to get it to stop leaking and run nice and smooth.
What size bolt are you going up to? 12mm? The best thing for a transgasket is the RED FIPG & a factory seal! I've seen them strip out many times, mostly because people over torque them and cross thread them!
Good Luck w/your truck!
* Harry *
Old 08-22-2004, 11:30 AM

Oh.. these lovely things aren't stripped.. the bolt is broken off in the trans.. I'm not sure what i am going to go up to. The shop that did 2 broken bolts last put some bolts in there with the large round grooved head for hand turning and an alan wrench head and i kind of like those. I am thinking about taking them off and finding them at the hardware store and going whatever size they are since i've tightened those things down and they are strong as *&%#.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh.. these lovely things aren't stripped.. the bolt is broken off in the trans.. I'm not sure what i am going to go up to. The shop that did 2 broken bolts last put some bolts in there with the large round grooved head for hand turning and an alan wrench head and i kind of like those. I am thinking about taking them off and finding them at the hardware store and going whatever size they are since i've tightened those things down and they are strong as *&%#.
Try this link: http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/security.htm
They should be able to hook you up

Good Luck!
* Harry *
Old 08-22-2004, 01:26 PM

I have always had good luck using heli-coils to repair damaged threads in aluminum cases. If done right, the heli-coil repair will be much stronger that the original threads, and they will never rust or corrode again. If you have a shop you can trust, they should be able to drill out the broken bolts and heli-coil all the bolt holes. You will never have to worry about them again. If you are handy enough, it isn't that difficult to do yourself, but the install kits aren't cheap. Sears, NAPA, and most good auto parts shops should have them. I would also suggest extra care when putting the pan bolts back in, they can be very easy to strip or cross thread. Over torquing them is a common problem. To prevent pan gasket leaks, first make sure both surfaces (botom of case and pan) are clean of all old gasket material and dry. Then make sure the gasket surface on the pan is straight and flat. I use a ball peen ahd a metal table top. Also make sure that the bolt holes in the pan are not dimpled out from over tightening, flatten them back down if they are.
Use a good quality gasket sealer, but don't overdo it, just enough to seal. And last, don't overtighten the bolts, I do not use any air tools, a speed wrench works fine. It is quick, and you will get all the torque necessary for aluminum case bolts. Use a crossing pattern to tighten the bolts and work your way around several times before reaching final torque.

Last edited by TechWrench; 08-22-2004 at 01:37 PM.