Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Greetings

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Greetings

Hey Folks!

I am really excited that I found this site. I've been looking through it lately and I have learned a lot. I am very anxious about learning new tips and tricks for my Runner.

About my ride:
I recently bought a 2000 SR5 4WD this past spring. It's sweet. I don't have a pic just yet but I will add it for my avitar in the future.

I do have some questions:

1. I am in the market for some new tires. I currently have some Dunlop 265-70R 16s. I am guessing they are the originals since the tread is very worn. I got a quote from a place here in Austin for some BFGs A/T for about $800.

Is that a competitive price?

I do not do a lot of off roading (yet). I mainly drive a lot of highway miles.

Is there a more comparable tire that is a little cheaper that I should consider? But still looks cool and when I do go off road, I will be okay.

2. This is the more important question.

Every now and then (mainly in the mornings) when I try to start my Runner, I press the clutch, turn the key, nothing happens. The lights on the dash board turn on and the radio comes on but the engine does not try and turn over.

But always on the second try, the vehicle will start just fine. I got a battery check last week and they checked all the wires and tested the battery and everything was fine.

What kind of problem could this be?

My guess is that it is not a problem with the starter b/c the engine is not doing the "chuga-chuga-chuga" thing.

Is this problem somewhere down electric avenue? I know bad music reference.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and suggestions.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Howdy Poke!
Sorry I cannot answer any of your questions. I am lame. I just want to say welcome! I also want to encourage you to get that 4Runner off the highway and into the dirt. More fun than you could imagine.

Old 08-20-2003, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the no-start condition, I suspect the clutch-starter safety interlock is doing it's job. The clutch must be depressed fully before the starter will engage. Check to see if a floor mat is in the way, or move a little closer to the pedals and try again.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the forum, Poke!

I'll try and answer a few of your questions...
1. $800 seems a little on the steep side to me. Have you tried Costco or Sam's club? They usuually have them cheaper. What size was that? You can fit 265/75 /16's without any lift, they are sometimes cheaper (more common)...

On other options of tires, I have Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts and they are pretty darn good in all conditions. Also look at the Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts, many members here have them and really love them. These might be a better choice.

2. The starter, well, if you are certain that you are pressing the clutch all the way everytime, like BT17R suggested, then it may be the copper contacts inside the starter. Its pretty common for them to wear out fast on all Toy starters. WHat happens is that you have to bumb the key several times and it just clicks, then eventiually starts. To read more about this, try using the search feature at the top, and search for "starter" or "starter contacts"

Its not a hard job, other than getting the starter out. THe parts are like $20 from the dealer if you can do it yourself.

Good luck and enjoy the forum, there's a pretty good group here...
Old 08-20-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the crew handled your questions - all I can offer is a "Welcome Newbie"...
Old 08-21-2003, 04:53 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
"new to me" ride

I too just recently purchased a 2000 SR5 4x4 that is black. It doesn't look quite the same as when I bought it thought! I love it! I have learned so much on yotatech my head hurts and my VISA is still smoking! Welcome Aboard Poke!

Brian