Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Greasng Chasis 3rd Gen Problems.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasng Chasis 3rd Gen Problems.......

Hey guys 99 runner and went to lube the chasis after looking at bobs thread. as i was putting the grease gun on the zerks and beginning to pump it out, the lube was just coming out around the area of the zerk. i gave it one squeeze and it would just come out around there LIKE IT WASNT going in. If these are already full, wouldnt it come out of the other end somewhere like to be able to "purge" the old grease out? i just dont think that went in..but on all of them?

thanks in advance
Old 03-23-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fireteacher
Hey guys 99 runner and went to lube the chasis after looking at bobs thread. as i was putting the grease gun on the zerks and beginning to pump it out, the lube was just coming out around the area of the zerk. i gave it one squeeze and it would just come out around there LIKE IT WASNT going in. If these are already full, wouldnt it come out of the other end somewhere like to be able to "purge" the old grease out? i just dont think that went in..but on all of them?

thanks in advance
Yes that is the old stuff coming out. dont worry
Old 03-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

It shouldn't come out at the zerk. When it's full it will come out through the joint. If it's comming out at the zerk it means that the grease fitting is not all the way on or it's blocked somehow. You probably just need to push a little harder to get the fitting on.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:27 AM

The zerk might have gotten stopped up by mud. If the grease acts like it is not going in the zerk at all, you need to clean it or replace it. They unscrew and are cheap to purchase. Any other place grease comes out, like Bob said, is the old stuff.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Runner
It shouldn't come out at the zerk. When it's full it will come out through the joint. If it's comming out at the zerk it means that the grease fitting is not all the way on or it's blocked somehow. You probably just need to push a little harder to get the fitting on.
it sounds like he was saying it was coming out of the seals, not the zerks. but yes, brad is right: it should not be coming out of the zerks. when it comes out of the seals, it sounds like a wet hissing sound
Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

ok, i guess i will stop and buy some new ones tonight cause i whiped them down and then got the gun all the way on but the grease came out of the area where the zerk was. I will try to take them off first and clean them. anyone know what size socket/wrench and how to clean them? hot soapy water?
Old 05-24-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by fireteacher
ok, i guess i will stop and buy some new ones tonight cause i whiped them down and then got the gun all the way on but the grease came out of the area where the zerk was. I will try to take them off first and clean them. anyone know what size socket/wrench and how to clean them? hot soapy water?
Did this work?

I just tried to grease one zert (this is my first time) & the grease would not go in; it just spilled out around the zerk so I didn't try any others & came in to check yotatech.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 PM

Try to get the fitting on the zerk straight. If you hold it crooked on there, sometimes it squirts out all around it instead of going in.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Maj

After throughly wiping down the fitting, take an awl, nail, or similar pointy object and press in the little spring-loaded ball in the center of the zerk several times. Those sometimes become frozen and won't allow grease to enter. Press the grease gun tip straight on to the zerk and maintain firm pressure on the fitting. Sometimes a full, rapid crank on the grease gun handle will generate enough pressure to blow the impediment out of the way (or, make a mess, if not). I recently discovered that the rear slip yoke is not vented which makes the thing extremely stubborn at accepting grease. You might try jacking the frame up to extend the slip yoke a bit (and create a vacuum) so that you can get some grease to go in.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto that it sounds like your zerks are clogged.

Maj you got me thinking. i just did all the lubing on my truck and everything went fine except that no matter how much grease i pumped into the rear slip joint it didn't get hard or seep out anywhere. the front one took a few pumps and then would not take anymore but the rear would not fill up. I didn't want to damage anything because i had already put about 15 pumps in it but this makes me wounder what is wrong. Could it be that empty? I don't think the lady that had it before me ever lube them.

And i don't mean to steal the thread but that just got me thinking...
Old 05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

be sure you have screwed the grease gun tip down so that it snaps on to the zerk tight. I think that might have been your problem. Surprised no one else mentioned it. You will know when it is working because you can hear a nice crackling sound when its full on each u joint.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Maj
After throughly wiping down the fitting, take an awl, nail, or similar pointy object and press in the little spring-loaded ball in the center of the zerk several times. Those sometimes become frozen and won't allow grease to enter.
I think this might be it; I tried pushing the little ball/nipple it in with my fingernail & it did not move.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 PM

yeah, you can buy a 50 dollar tool that you load up with grease and hit the back with a hammer and it builds up a lot of pressure to blast the grease into the zerk. this works if even after purchasing new zerks you still can't get them to take grease. finally don't forget that if grease doesn't come out of all four trunnion seals, you should probably change the u-joints.