Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Grease or lube throwout bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grease or lube throwout bearing?

Is there any way to grease or lube the throwout bearing when the transmission is on the truck. I thought I read you could spray something on it through a hole? Just wondering because mine is chirping and want to quiet it down. It did quiet down for a day or so after going through water crossings, but came back again. My clutch is fairly new, so the throwout bearing was probably replaced.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Yota
My clutch is fairly new, so the throwout bearing was probably replaced.
Hopefully that was the case! On a bad note I do not see how lubing it while it is in position is possible. Are you sure that it is the throw out bearing? I thought I had a TB problem due to the similar like characteristics however I now know that I actually have a bad transmission input bearing. So unfortunately I will be rebuilding my trans soon.
Ricahrd S.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:52 PM

Not positive it's the throwout bearing, but just going by what ive read. There is a chirping sound when the clutch is disengaged, but when the clutch pedal is slightely pushed in the noise goes away. Also when I went through some water crossings the noise went away, so this couldn't be the input bearing then right?

Last edited by 4x4Yota; 03-04-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 PM

Well I hate to tell you this but that was my EXACT same problem , and sure enough it was/is not the throwout bearing! The worst part for me was the fact that I changed the throwout bearing when I rebuilt my motor thinking that is was the throwout bearing when I could have just jumped into the trans from the get go.
There is a recent thread on the PBB in the toyota section from Marlin talking about this very subject (search throw out bearing). Dont forget though that it still COULD be a throw out bearing , and with those kind of miles I would be somewhat surprised if you have a trans bearing problem. Marlin is close to you (kind of) , and if you have to have it rebuilt I would suggest having him do it as he knows what he is doing , and his prices are really good concerning rebuilds.
Good luck,
Richard Stubbs

Oh- heres a crappy story. A customer of mine has a 02 Taco with 34K miles on it , and his t-bearing is going out (suspected, and I am trouble shooting it tonight) the problem is that he has a MC09 crawl box in it(My business installed it-has since 14k ish miles) but our local dealership says NO WAY to a power train warranty due to the modification! We will see about that.....
Old 03-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

I;ve sprayed white lithium through the hole in the bell housing that the fork goes through. just pull the boot back and use the red straw thing. tape the straw to the can though, so it doesn't shoot off into the bellhousing. it usually quiets my chirping bearing for a couple months or so and it hasn't effected the clutch. I've been doing it since around 70k and I have about 112k on it now. the clutch is still strong as the dickens.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:00 PM

Keisur - very interesting I'll keep that in mind for that Taco if it turns out that is what it is.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:09 PM

Yeah, i'll try the lithium thing and see if it quiets down.

weldpro: Just curious how many miles were on your trans.?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:27 PM

To be honest I have no idea. The trans in question came from a 86 4runner with 213K miles , and it had been rebuilt at somepoint (could tell by the tags). This 4runner was beat up in a big way the previous owner was the PBB founder L.Clifford , and he used this thing HARD. I only drove it home knowing that I was going to tear it apart to help constuct my buggy. The thing had even been lightly rolled on the Rubicon so restoring it was out of the question (way to much work). It did drive the 180 or so miles back to my place just fine though. I guess I must have given the trans its final days from last years runs in the buggy.
Oh , and the guy with the MC09 in his Taco nothing was wrong. The noise he had was completely normal.
Richard S.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:10 AM

I'd say about 99.99% chance that it is your T/O bearing and not the input bearing. These damn trucks are infamous for the crickets. I replaced mine at 60k with the rest of my clutch. There was so much meat left on the clutch disk it could of lasted alot longer. The crickets went away with the new bearing, but have recently returned after another 45k. I will probably just get a new bearing one of these weekends and change, it just annoys the hell out of me, alot of work for one bearing but I'm sure clutch is still fien and I'm not gonna replace it again just because I have the trans off.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:21 AM

There is a chirping sound when the clutch is disengaged,...

When you say "disengaged" do you mean pedal-to-the-floor or foot-not-touching-pedal? If you mean foot-not-touching-pedal then the TOB should not be spinning at all and should be quiet even if bad.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Wild_Bill
There was so much meat left on the clutch disk it could of lasted alot longer.
hehe, that's why at 112k I am still on the stock clutch, just not worth it to me when the thing operates fine and still has great holding power. One of these days though I'll take a weekend and drop in a Centerforce, but it's going to have to start slipping before that happens. haha.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MAIS0N
When you say "disengaged" do you mean pedal-to-the-floor or foot-not-touching-pedal? If you mean foot-not-touching-pedal then the TOB should not be spinning at all and should be quiet even if bad.
tranny in neutral, clutch not being touched.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by keisur
tranny in neutral, clutch not being touched.
If you're in neutral and not on the pedal the throwout bearing should not be in contact with the clutch assembly and should not be spinning. (Assuming it's adjusted right) If you're hearing the noise under these conditions I would guess the problem is somewhere else.

Just my 2c. Maybe hydraulic clutches are different...most of my experience is with the mechanical / cable type.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by MAIS0N
If you're in neutral and not on the pedal the throwout bearing should not be in contact with the clutch assembly and should not be spinning. (Assuming it's adjusted right) If you're hearing the noise under these conditions I would guess the problem is somewhere else.

Just my 2c. Maybe hydraulic clutches are different...most of my experience is with the mechanical / cable type.

You are correct , and that is how it needs to be figured out. If you are just idling there , and not touching a thing then you should have no noise. (clutch is engaged , and throwout bearing is not spinning)

Now if you disengage the clutch (clutch pedal pushed in & throwout bearing spinning) if you have noise now that is your throwout bearing.

To back all of this up here is the thread from Pirate that Marlin (the Toyota trans guru himself had responded to) Read this , and you will understand.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=input+bearing

Hope this helps,
Richard S.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:47 PM

I read the post on PBB and it was stated that the noise should not happen in 4th gear if its the input bearing. Mine does it in all gears, but it only really noticable in 1st/2nd. Its not really loud or anything but just a light chirping sound. Its been doing this for 11k+ miles since ive had it.

Last edited by 4x4Yota; 03-05-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Mine does this too, I even heard it in first gear one time while coming into my garage. I thought it was the TOB, which I had replaced about 1.5 years ago, but it still did it.

It also goes away when the clutch is pushed in. Sounds like a major problem....
Old 03-05-2004, 01:31 PM

my 82 and my 4-runner did this when I bought it.... Off the clutch pedal I would geta very light chirping, push clutch in went away.... What fixed mine was just adjust my clutch pedal. So that I had a slight bit more of freeplay.... I assumed mine was just barely touching the fins, giving it a chirp noise. Push the clutch pedal in, and the throw out bearing is mashed up against the fins.

My Runner did this, and I just adjusted it a tad and voila no more chirping.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chuki
my 82 and my 4-runner did this when I bought it.... Off the clutch pedal I would geta very light chirping, push clutch in went away.... What fixed mine was just adjust my clutch pedal. So that I had a slight bit more of freeplay.... I assumed mine was just barely touching the fins, giving it a chirp noise. Push the clutch pedal in, and the throw out bearing is mashed up against the fins.

My Runner did this, and I just adjusted it a tad and voila no more chirping.
Do you think that the pedal just comes unadjusted after a while? Is the pedal adjusted when a new clutch is put in?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:57 PM

Do you think that the pedal just comes unadjusted after a while? Is the pedal adjusted when a new clutch is put in?
Well working in an autoparts store you learn things... Not all clutches are manufactured the same. The flywheel could have been shimmed. The manufacturing of the clutch could place the fins slightly closer to the throwout bearing.

My 82 was like that when I put a new clutch in it, when I bought my Runner, I was told the clutch in it had about 500 miles on it. This is a slight chirping that can only be heard outside. I don't think you could hear it inside unless you had your ear down by that portion of the truck.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Chuki
Well working in an autoparts store you learn things... Not all clutches are manufactured the same. The flywheel could have been shimmed. The manufacturing of the clutch could place the fins slightly closer to the throwout bearing.

My 82 was like that when I put a new clutch in it, when I bought my Runner, I was told the clutch in it had about 500 miles on it. This is a slight chirping that can only be heard outside. I don't think you could hear it inside unless you had your ear down by that portion of the truck.
true unless everything is still stock and no clutch job has ever been done.

Mine doesn't chirp anymore ever since the flood that I drove home from work through back in november. the clutch stayed under water for about 5 miles on Clay Road here in Houston and ever since that it is quiet. I guess whatever was making the noise lube itself oer something while being soaked. hehe.

Quick Reply: Grease or lube throwout bearing?