95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Grease Fittings/Fuel Filter Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grease Fittings/Fuel Filter Questions

Got 2 questions on a 01 3.4 Taco.

1) I noticed grease fittings at some of the driveshaft joints. Do I need to look at greasing these myself and if so how often, how much and what kinda grease you recommend. Besides these are there anymore on the truck. Greasing is not a problem for me other than the fact ive only done it on industrial machines and bearings with lithium grease.

2) The fuel filter replacement. Ive noticed most places want an arm and a leg to replace one. I paid to have it done on my ford because you needed special fuel line tools that didnt work worth a crap but the taco filter looks like you just unbolt it from the bracket then loosen the bolts on both sides that connect the lines, is this correct?

thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ElwayLite
Got 2 questions on a 01 3.4 Taco.

1) I noticed grease fittings at some of the driveshaft joints. Do I need to look at greasing these myself and if so how often, how much and what kinda grease you recommend. Besides these are there anymore on the truck. Greasing is not a problem for me other than the fact ive only done it on industrial machines and bearings with lithium grease.
Yup, grease them yourself with a common greasegun. I just use a general purpose grease and do it about twice a year and after any submergeance.
2) The fuel filter replacement. Ive noticed most places want an arm and a leg to replace one. I paid to have it done on my ford because you needed special fuel line tools that didnt work worth a crap but the taco filter looks like you just unbolt it from the bracket then loosen the bolts on both sides that connect the lines, is this correct?
That's all there is to it. Just loosen the first banjo bolt (the ones attaching the lines to the filter) real slowly. Fuel pressure in the lines does not dissipate rapidly so expect a fair amount of pressure to be there. By removing the bolt slowly, you allow the pressure to vent off in a more controlled manner. Also, be sure to use the new copper washers that come with the filter, don't re-use the old ones even if they look fine.

Last edited by toy283; 06-07-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1)Do I need to look at greasing these myself and if so how often, how much and what kinda grease you recommend. Besides these are there anymore on the truck.
The best bet is to grease them whenever you change the oil. Also before and after any wheeling trip where you're driving through deep water crossings. I'm not too familiar with Taco front suspensions, but you may have grease fittings at the ball joints. Oh, and make sure you do BOTH driveshafts.

2)the taco filter looks like you just unbolt it from the bracket then loosen the bolts on both sides that connect the lines, is this correct?
Again, I don't really know Tacos, but that's how it is on my '88. If it's anything like mine, the hard part is actually reaching the filter to get it unbolted. Don't forget to depressurize your fuel system before you pull the lines from the filter. Otherwise you'll spray gas all over.

If you don't already have one, pick up a Haynes or Chilton repair manual and it will detail both of these jobs for you.

EDIT: Damn. Too slow. toy283 beat me to it.

Last edited by BeaterToyota; 06-07-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I saw the fittings on both driveshafts so thats what made me think they needed to be done. I like the idea of greasing them every 5k when I do my oil also. How many pumps do they take or is it obvious.