Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got the Supercharger....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the Supercharger....

Well, I said I wouldn't do it back in August when I started project "SportRunner" but here I am with a brand new supercharger sitting in the living room waiting to be installed.

I really need some help deciding what AFR gauge to go with before I can start on the SC install. I was about to buy the LC-1 XD-16 combo and realized the XD-16 is 2.5" in diameter (even though it's a 52mm gauge) making it obviously larger than other 52mm gauges on the market. So now I've got to find something else.

I've seen Innovate is offering a Nordskog solution which comes with an LC-1 and a Nordskog digital AFR gauge. I called Nordskog and they're super cool over the phone going out of their way to get me info. They've said they can make me a custom AFR gauge with green LEDs (Innovate only offers Red or Blue) and a silver bezel to match the Autometer Sport Comp gauges I'm considering for tranny temp and boost. I'll basically get this only in green LED with a silver bezel:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/db.php

Another option is to use all Nordskog digital gauges, but I fear that would look too "80s". Opinions?

The other option I've considered is an Autometer 3378 AFR kit, but Autometer can't give me any info on it since it's brand new.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=3603&sid=15

I really need some opinions here. The custom Nordskog gauge will take 3 weeks to produce and it's gonna be hard to sit on this charger for that long.

I'm also going to attempt to mount the gauges in a DIN slot above the radio so I've got to fab up some kind of mounting scheme there as well.

Anybody got any guidance for me?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:13 AM

Well, no one responded but I wanted to update this for anyone looking in the future...

I ended up getting a Nordskog digital gauge custom made direct from Nordskog for AFR. They're custom making it with Green LEDs and a silver bezel to match the Autometer sport Comp gauges I'll use for Transmission and Boost.

Nordskog was VERY helpful on the phone and even their receptionist who answers the phone was knowledgeable about their products, tracked down the production manager to find out a time frame, and took my order. So far I'm very impressed with them.

I'll be using this with the Innovate LC-1. Here's the gauge, only it's custom made with green LEDs and a silver bezel. It HAS to be custom made as they are doing something specific to make it work with the LC-1 so make sure to specify that if you want one. Cost was only $10 more than standard.

http://www.nordskogperformance.net/p...tail/m9200.htm
Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you didn't go with the XD-16 because it wouldn't match the other gauges, or because you didn't think it would fit in a gauge pod?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mastacox
So you didn't go with the XD-16 because it wouldn't match the other gauges, or because you didn't think it would fit in a gauge pod?
Both actually. It's just too large in diameter to match any of the standard 52mm gauges. When they list the gauge size as 52mm (or 2 1/16) it's the size of the whole the gauge will fit in. The bezel is completely separate. The XD-16 is 2.5" in diameter at the bezel and standard 52mm gauges are 2.25" at the bezel. This Nordskog gauge is the best of both worlds. You get to use the LC-1 with a gauge that is standard in size. The only thing missing is the little LEDs that go around the edge.

I've seen pictures of the XD-16 mounted in gauge pods and the bezel is nearly larger than the pod itself. Doesn't look right to me.

Now my NEW issue is the throttle by wire issue I posted about in another thread. My 2002 has this on the TB and it seems to fail quite often to the tune of $1000 to replace the entire TB as the little sensor that goes bad isn't sold separately. Seems these go bad every 15K - 30K miles. If that's the case I'm gonna have to abandon the SC install.

Last edited by Speedy; 03-29-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
Both actually. It's just too large in diameter to match any of the standard 52mm gauges. When they list the gauge size as 52mm (or 2 1/16) it's the size of the whole the gauge will fit in. The bezel is completely separate. The XD-16 is 2.5" in diameter at the bezel and standard 52mm gauges are 2.25" at the bezel. This Nordskog gauge is the best of both worlds. You get to use the LC-1 with a gauge that is standard in size. The only thing missing is the little LEDs that go around the edge.

I've seen pictures of the XD-16 mounted in gauge pods and the bezel is nearly larger than the pod itself. Doesn't look right to me.
I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I'm sorry to say I would have tried to talk you back in to the XD-16. Still, I hope the custom setup works out well for you.

Personally I think the XD-16 matches the TRD boost gauge just fine (when you use the black face), but I look forward to seeing what your custom gauge looks like. This has made me think that I don't really have any pics of my setup, I'll have to do that at lunch. The main problem is, you're losing the programmability of the XD-16 (it can display much more than jut AFR, which is why it is so expensive), and the MTS aspect of the LC-1/XD-16 setup which makes it so cool. I suppoose to hook your gauge into the LC-1 you'll have to set it's analog output to a 0-5V range, and then your gauge will interpret that.

Look forward to seeing the setup!

Last edited by mastacox; 03-29-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 AM

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I'm sorry to say I would have tried to talk you back in to the XD-16. Still, I hope the custom setup works out well for you.

Personally I think the XD-16 matches the TRD boost gauge just fine (when you use the black face), but I look forward to seeing what your custom gauge looks like. This has made me think that I don't really have any pics of my setup, I'll have to do that at lunch. The main problem is, you're losing the programmability of the XD-16 (it can display much more than jut AFR, which is why it is so expensive), and the MTS aspect of the LC-1/XD-16 setup which makes it so cool. Also, the LC-1 puts out a serial digital signal, is your custom gauge able to take this signal and interpret it as AFR? More importantly, is is able to distinguish the AFR signal from everything else if you hook up an MTS chain to the LC-1? I suppoose to hook your gauge into the LC-1 you'll have to set it's analog output to a 0-5V range, and then your gauge will interpret that.

Look forward to seeing the setup!
Innovate already offers the same gauge I got with the LC-1. That's where I got the idea actually. They source the gauge from Nordskog and I just called them and asked if I could get green and silver bezel and they said sure. Here it is listed on Innovate's site but they only offer red or blue...

Old 03-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Innovate already offers the same gauge I got with the LC-1. That's where I got the idea actually. They source the gauge from Nordskog and I just called them and asked if I could get green and silver bezel and they said sure. Here it is listed on Innovate's site but they only offer red or blue...

Oops sorry about that then. I retract my comments
Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 AM

Oops sorry about that then. I retract my comments
No sweat.

Now....do you happen to know of ANYONE on this board that has a 2002 4Runner SC'd? I'm trying to dig up info on the throttle body problem???
Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

No sweat.

Now....do you happen to know of ANYONE on this board that has a 2002 4Runner SC'd? I'm trying to dig up info on the throttle body problem???
Maybe check CT? For tuned up supercharged rigs, I only know of pre-2001's around here...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Speedy... can I make a suggestion?

I think people are skipping your threads because you create a new one for every question you have - even if it's just a rephrasing of a previous question (e.g., I think you have 3 threads talking about the AIC/TRD 7th/URD 7th concept).

You might wanna make a thread called "SPEEDY'S SUPERCHARGER QUESTIONS THREAD - PLEASE SUBSCRIBE!".

I'm off to try to understand where you got the weird throttle-by-wire info and blow you more crap about multiple threads over there.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Speedy... can I make a suggestion?

I think people are skipping your threads because you create a new one for every question you have - even if it's just a rephrasing of a previous question (e.g., I think you have 3 threads talking about the AIC/TRD 7th/URD 7th concept).

You might wanna make a thread called "SPEEDY'S SUPERCHARGER QUESTIONS THREAD - PLEASE SUBSCRIBE!".

I'm off to try to understand where you got the weird throttle-by-wire info and blow you more crap about multiple threads over there.
Good idea!

I do search a TON before I post and was trying not to post 10 threads a day, but I don't get many responses to my questions when I post in old threads because no one takes the time to read the last post, they just read the first one then answer the original question. I'll do as you suggest and start a new one just for me cuz I'm special.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 AM

Good idea!

I do search a TON before I post and was trying not to post 10 threads a day, but I don't get many responses to my questions when I post in old threads because no one takes the time to read the last post, they just read the first one then answer the original question. I'll do as you suggest and start a new one just for me cuz I'm special.
Dude, I know you search like a bandit and I'm not questioning that your questions aren't viable, but I think that Brian is the only one that's able to keep up with you.

I know I'd lost track!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 AM

Dude, I know you search like a bandit and I'm not questioning that your questions aren't viable, but I think that Brian is the only one that's able to keep up with you.

I know I'd lost track!
I'm with ya. I'll start a new thread as you suggested with my next q.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

I know I'd lost track!
I LOVE talking about superchargers and associated equipment, don't worry about it one bit Speedy. Somehow I just missed this thread, oops. The title is probably what threw me off, if it said something to the effect of "LC-1/XD-16 Gauge Combo Question" it might have caught my eye.

Anyway, here are some pics for your viewing pleasure:

Last edited by mastacox; 03-29-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 AM

I LOVE talking about superchargers and associated equipment, don't worry about it one bit Speedy. Somehow I just missed this thread, oops. The title is probably what threw me off, if it said something to the effect of "LC-1/XD-16 Gauge Combo Question" it might have caught my eye.
Looks pretty good there. I do have a question off the topic though. How isyour radar detector gonna "detect" when it's aimed at the hood?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Looks pretty good there. I do have a question off the topic though. How isyour radar detector gonna "detect" when it's aimed at the hood?
It detects RADAR just fine, but LASER not so much That's ok, once you detect an incoming laser scan it's too late.

As it is, it's an old crappy detector so I don't really depend on it to save me, I just like to know when there's a cop around. I want a Uniden Digital Scanner!

And yes I know my dash is one giant corded mess, I need to consolidate/hardwire some stuff, like the GPS and Sirius.

Last edited by mastacox; 03-29-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:31 AM

It detects RADAR just fine, but LASER not so much That's ok, once you detect an incoming laser scan it's too late.

As it is, it's an old crappy detector so I don't really depend on it to save me, I just like to know when there's a cop around. I want a Uniden Digital Scanner!

And yes I know my dash is one giant corded mess, I need to consolidate/hardwire some stuff, like the GPS and Sirius.
I've got a Cobra something or other radar detector mounted up in the top left edge of the windshield hard wired to my fuse panel. Works great. You're right about laser though.