Got a 90' 4-Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a 90' 4-Runner

Bought this a couple days ago
Great condition
Runs damn good
3.0 v6 (its not really that slow either)
Gas mileage over long distances is topnotch! about 23 math wise, but with the 31's on it I'm sure the speedo is off throwing the trip odemeter off. Better then I thought I'd get. Power is good! Pull 5th gear all over the place. I think the timing may be a little advanced, it lightly pings running 87 octane. Dumped some 104+ and that stopped it.

155k miles on it
A/C
P/S
Rear Heat
Rear window rolls up and down good
Keyless entry (soon as I figure the damn thing out, gotta reprogram the remote or get a new one or something)
Interior is good, cept for a single rip
Extorior is good, cept for the usual rust spots above the rear fenders.
31x10.50's on I dunno what kinda wheels
Chassis looks damn good, has been coated with something, water pretty much beads off of it
A.D.D. hubs, which are coming off as soon as I can find some manual hubs. (I beleive its a direct swap) Found the article on this site, just need the hubs now.

When I made the decision to buy it, I took it a to a couple mechanics first, cause at speeds of about 40+ I get a slight vibration, it goes away around 60 and starts to come back around 70. Like I said I checked all the cv shafts, drive shafts, all moving parts underneath. Everything was very tight, I took it down to a couple autoshops to get some more opinions, they checked everything I did, hoisted it up, and said everything feels tight like it should. They said that they think it could either be the tires (go out of balance at certain speeds, about 55 to be exact, and are slightly cupped due to lack of rotation) or they think it could be the front driveline spinning being that I have the ADD hubs or whatever. Just curious if anyone else has any suggestions. I've gone through everything and it all feels tight, no slop anywhere. I plan on taking the front driveline off when I have time to

Also I'm not positive but I think 2nd gens, may have came with factory alarms as an option, and I have remote for it, 1 dot and 2 dots on the buttons. I had to replace the battery in it, the guy told me it worked and unlocked the doors and set the alarm. Anyone know where it is, or anything about it? Nothing happens when I push either button. It's no biggie, but if its there why not use it right? Plus I could always add an aftermarket later.

Thanks again.

Oh and thanks to the guy that wrote up how to remove the torsion spring for the clutch and put a real spring on it. Mine was creeking, almost bought the bushings, then found the article, off it came, on went a return spring, and now the clutch pedal feels much better, and its quiet!

Last edited by Chuki; 12-25-2003 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Nam

Wow,

Congratulations...it's a beauty!

Nam
Old 03-03-2004, 01:25 PM

I missed this thread. Would you mind saying how much you paid for it? I will be selling our 90 soon and would like as much priceing feedback as possible. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Good looking runner mate!
Sounds like you got a good deal (providing the price is right).

Willie: I paid $9500 canadian for mine a few months ago. 180,000 km's. Asking price was $10,500.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:04 PM

that looks sweet, makes me jealous, cant wait til I can get mine, just got one car running so its closer to the for sale sign at least. good luck with the new toy.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by maddmatt02
that looks sweet, makes me jealous, cant wait til I can get mine, just got one car running so its closer to the for sale sign at least. good luck with the new toy.
Paid $3800 for it, which is a good price in this area. Engine seems to be older then the odemeter says. Seems to be signs of neglect. Oh well, it'll last me 10x longer then what I want it to last for. For the price and what I wanted I couldn't pass it by, even with the few little problems it had. Most Runners here are priced 5000+ easy. I drove a 93, that had weird idle problems, A/T, Back window didn't work, rear wiper didn't work, no rear heat, driveside door didn't unlock, was evident it had a leaking head gasket, front speakers didn't work. They wanted 4900 for it.

I wanted a 5speed 3rd gen (2nd for the runners), and always planned a better engine swap, slight lift, maybe gears. So it was worth it to me... I am bummed about the engine a little, but like I said it'll last me 10x longer then I need it to finish my Pickup, and when thats done, I'll either rebuild it myself, or if I can get a good price I'll 3.4 it... More and likely 3.4 it. For the power, and supercharger. Specially if I want lift it and run some 32's.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:59 PM

nice looking rig. Now all you need to do is take those running boards off and you will be on your way modding that thing in no time.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by fooddude
nice looking rig. Now all you need to do is take those running boards off and you will be on your way modding that thing in no time.
Ehhhh I dunno if I'm gonna take em off... Kinda like em'

Actually I found a nice set of smitty built step bars I kinda like.... I like some of the Rocksliders, nerfbars, I've seen here... Most of the ones I like are all homemade designs though. :pat:
Old 03-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Chuki
Hah!
Good one! You are a funny guy, you should do standup! Seriously.
They'll grow old I liked mine too... until I bashed them on a rock
Old 03-03-2004, 07:31 PM

the thought of taking them off didnt even occur to me untill 2 months after i bought my rig i found this board, and Boom those things were outa here.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:25 PM

Looks good chuki. It looks to have the same rims I have on mine. Check out my webshots page listed in the sig for my Runners pics. Soon I will be letting it go so as to buy a mommiewagon. My problem is that whatever has went wrong with it, I have fixed. Only 2 things are wrong with it now. The AC and the headliner. Im fixing the AC tomorrow. I will be hopeing for almost top dollar for it when the time comes.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:03 AM

Your wheels seem to be chrome though.... Mine are kinda like a satin silver finish..... Any idea where I can get new center caps? These things use weird that kinda snap into the wheel from the outside, I couldn't get any schwabs that would go from the inside out...

I'm thinking of getting rid of them, since I hafta use a socket to take them off.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Actually I found a nice set of smitty built step bars I kinda like.... I like some of the Rocksliders, nerfbars, I've seen here... Most of the ones I like are all homemade designs though. :pat:

not the sliders made by stubbs! (www.stubbswelding.com). top notch sliders..
Old 03-05-2004, 01:36 PM

Any idea where I can get new center caps? These things use weird that kinda snap into the wheel from the outside, I couldn't get any schwabs that would go from the inside out...
Dude, I used to work at Schwabs and they can get you new center caps. They'll need to be 6 lug, medium length Modern style caps.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Faded
Dude, I used to work at Schwabs and they can get you new center caps. They'll need to be 6 lug, medium length Modern style caps.
These wheels have ridges on the inside so the centercap will snap into the wheel... I want to schwabs, when I had them rotated and balanced, and they said they couldn't get any to fit it from the inside out.

I may take it back down, as these caps are shot. Rusted like hell.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:48 PM

These wheels have ridges on the inside so the centercap will snap into the wheel... they couldn't get any to fit it from the inside out.

I may take it back down, as these caps are shot. Rusted like hell.
:pat: I see, they're the "other" style. They probably don't stock replacements, but if they try hard enough they could find/order you new ones. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:59 PM

My rims like that are American Eagle. The caps snap on from outside. I went to an AE dealer and they ordered me 4 new ones cause I lost 3 of the origionals. If you go to the website, you can look at the caps that they have and find the model # that will fit your rims. That makes it easier on the wheel shop to order the right ones.