Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Good Toyota Mechanic Near Boston, MA

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Toyota Mechanic Near Boston, MA

Sorry if this should be posted elsewhere...

Long time lurker, first time poster. Could anyone provide me with some suggestions for a good place to have work done on a Toyota near Boston? I drive a 1999 4Runner SR5 with the 3.4L engine and it's probably time for a tune-up.

It's got a check engine light on which I assume is the result of an O2 sensor that needs replacing, but since it still seems to be running normally (albeit with slightly reduced gas milage), I'm not at panic stage.

I've taken it to the local dealership previously for some very minor work, but the prices they quoted me for scheduled maintenance seemed exorbinant.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jamie
Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Around here there really any place that you wont get screwed by a dealer. They all are high priced and dont really have that graet of service IMO but you may want to try Mcgee toyota in hanvor since the head mechanic there has been dealing with toyota for 30 yrs. hes abolutely awesme. if you wanna try an non toyota place RPM in brighton took care of our club president pretty well and he had a 2001 4 runner. hope this helps
Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM

What part of the city do you live in? How many miles on the truck?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:54 PM

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll look that place up tomorrow.

I live in Back Bay and I've got about 133,000 miles on my 4Runner.

I actually just got it last April and it's the first non-car I've ever owned. I looked all over for a '99 SR5 Sport (or Highlander, whatever) in black. It's a little beat up on the interior but the outside looks great for a truck that's going on nine years old.

Mechanically it's pretty tight. It's got the check engine light issue, but I'm not too concerned about that right now. Last Monday when it dropped to the single digits here in Boston my battery finally gave up the ghost, so it's got a brand new battery in it.

One thing it does that's sort of strange is that it won't shift out of maybe second gear when it's really cold. I've found a workaround in that it's got remote start so assuming I've got it within maybe 200 feet on the street or in the spot behind my place I can always have it running and warm when I get there. Line of sight that remote start will work from more than a quarter of a mile away; it's awesome.

I just put new Bridgestone Revo's on it last fall and it was like driving a new truck. The old tires hopped and shimmied at speed on the highway whereas the new ones are way, way quieter and don't wobble at all. They're also absolutely sick in snow. I had it up in Waitsfield, VT over the New Year (and again a couple of weeks ago) and used it to pull out a Chevy Yukon, to tow brush, and to blaze a trail through about 18" of snow out to our bonfire and carry all the wood for the fire, not to mention just getting home on New Years' Day; it did it all.

I put a new Kenwood head unit in it when I first got it but still need to upgrade all the door speakers. I'm on the fence about doing anything bass-wise because I don't want to have aftermarket stuff visible living in the city. I mean, people will smash your window to steal your dirty laundry if they think it might be something else in that bag, so having an enclosure in the back would be begging for it. On that note, if anyone has any suggestions for ways to add bass without adding enclosures, I'm all ears.

I keep Mobil 1 in the engine, but haven't done anything yet about the other lubricants. I'm thinking I'll switch everything over to full synthetic when I find a local mechanic I want to use. I'm also going to do the timing belt, water pump, all the belts and hoses, and anything else that's in need of TLC.

I've had a checkered past with fast cars, so I'm glad to be driving something I really like and have admired for years but that also won't allow me to feed my need for speed. Maybe in a couple of years I'll pick up a slightly used '08 M3 and satisfy the need for speed with that...

If only.

Okay, thanks again for the replies, I look forward to learning more about this truck here from all the experts.

Last edited by YotaNewbie; 02-21-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YotaNewbie
Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll look that place up tomorrow.

I live in Back Bay and I've got about 133,000 miles on my 4Runner.

I actually just got it last April and it's the first non-car I've ever owned. I looked all over for a '99 SR5 Sport (or Highlander, whatever) in black. It's a little beat up on the interior but the outside looks great for a truck that's going on nine years old.

Mechanically it's pretty tight. It's got the check engine light issue, but I'm not too concerned about that right now. Last Monday when it dropped to the single digits here in Boston my battery finally gave up the ghost, so it's got a brand new battery in it.

One thing it does that's sort of strange is that it won't shift out of maybe second gear when it's really cold. I've found a workaround in that it's got remote start so assuming I've got it within maybe 200 feet on the street or in the spot behind my place I can always have it running and warm when I get there. Line of sight that remote start will work from more than a quarter of a mile away; it's awesome.

I just put new Bridgestone Revo's on it last fall and it was like driving a new truck. The old tires hopped and shimmied at speed on the highway whereas the new ones are way, way quieter and don't wobble at all. They're also absolutely sick in snow. I had it up in Waitsfield, VT over the New Year (and again a couple of weeks ago) and used it to pull out a Chevy Yukon, to tow brush, and to blaze a trail through about 18" of snow out to our bonfire and carry all the wood for the fire, not to mention just getting home on New Years' Day; it did it all.

I put a new Kenwood head unit in it when I first got it but still need to upgrade all the door speakers. I'm on the fence about doing anything bass-wise because I don't want to have aftermarket stuff visible living in the city. I mean, people will smash your window to steal your dirty laundry if they think it might be something else in that bag, so having an enclosure in the back would be begging for it. On that note, if anyone has any suggestions for ways to add bass without adding enclosures, I'm all ears.

I keep Mobil 1 in the engine, but haven't done anything yet about the other lubricants. I'm thinking I'll switch everything over to full synthetic when I find a local mechanic I want to use. I'm also going to do the timing belt, water pump, all the belts and hoses, and anything else that's in need of TLC.

I've had a checkered past with fast cars, so I'm glad to be driving something I really like and have admired for years but that also won't allow me to feed my need for speed. Maybe in a couple of years I'll pick up a slightly used '08 M3 and satisfy the need for speed with that...

If only.

Okay, thanks again for the replies, I look forward to learning more about this truck here from all the experts.

a 4runner will not shift up to overdrive right after a cold start until it is ready.

for instance. I used to hop in my 99 3.4 4runner and hit the highway after 2 sets of lights and 1/2 mile drive. get on rt128 and mat it. it would rev higher and not shift up until I got settled in. it still went fast, but revved a lot and resisted the highway gears until it was ready, or I took my foot off the floor

so fresh cold starts, the engine control and transmission control work in tandem to reduce load until it is halfway warmed up

I think you are fine with the cold start issue, if it is like I describe

also, this isn't in beantown but it is kinda close. Acton Toyota. if you have to take it to a dealer, this
is the place. I cannot tell you enough good things about their service dept. I have gone in there numerous
times and they only fix what is needed, and they do it right. I used to ask for items that weren't worn out
yet, and they convinced me to save my money and wait till i actually needed something. they don't
try to oversell you or fix what ain't broke. very top notch dealership and they only sell toyotas and scion,
nothing else. they are the experts in my book.

Last edited by edzo; 02-22-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:34 AM

Sorry I'm a little late responding.

Regan's Texaco in the Auburndale section of Newton does great work for a reasonable price and gives free loaner cars for any major work.

I've used them to service 2 of my 4Runners and 1 Subaru whenever I'm working at a Boston client.

Just a 10 miles outside the city, right off the Mass Pike. Also walking distance to commuter rail if you want to go that route.

VT