Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Good CB???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good CB???

I was wondering if anyone has owned one, or knows anything about these cobra CB's?

Cobra CB

I was looking for something like this...so it won't get stolen, I could just take the mic out every night!
Old 07-08-2003, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Story,

There are a few of us who have this same Cobra 75WX cb. I like mine, though its a tad bit big for my hands. Both Mertztr and I have done write ups. Read them in the Tech section. Here's mine: http://www.4runners.org/articles/cobra

This is my 1st cb so i have nothing to compare it to. All i know it works and is easily concealable and fits inside the center console and/or glove w/ no problems.

Note that I've recently moved the hood channel mount to the rear of my 4runner. Read this thread I posted today:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=13674
Old 07-08-2003, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a few threads here talking about CBs... In fact I think that there are 3 active ones right now.

I have one of these, and like it a lot. But, one downside is that the mic is pretty heavy because of all the stuff in it. It's heavy enough that you'll notice it if you tend to hang on to it between chats. I've gotten in the habit of just laying it in my lap.

Another downside is the display. If you like things that light up on your dash, then this won't really add to that since the display is in your hand. If you're talker than wants to constantly hop stations, then you'll have to take your eyes further off of the road in order to know what channel you're on.

Those are actually both small niggles...

Quality and performance are top-notch. The signal is clear and strong, and the speaker is MUCH clearer than I would have thought given it's size. Plus, the remote box has a jack on it that you can plug an external speaker into.

Having weather stations on board is a nice touch depending on where you run. The memories, scanning and Cobra's voice enhancment circuit (SoundTracker) are all pluses.

Price wise, shop around... That price is pretty common and there are better ones on the net. In fact, the local place I bought mine from is $3 under that eBay price:

http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_rad...cb_radios.html

All in all... Two solid Thumbs Up!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Contributing Member

Also be sure to check out the FAQs on http://www.firestik.com

It's all about the coax and antenna. Well, according to them anyway. I just recently hooked up my Cobra18 WX whatever... works as well as I need it to. Just like Bob it's also my 1st CB.

I was concerned about theft as well so I just put mine in my glovebox.

better pic

Old 07-09-2003, 09:58 AM

yeah i almost bought that one yesturday. but i decided it was a little too pricey for me. i didn't want to pay $120 for my first cb. but the guy at the cb shop said he had one and that it works great. but i would say find out how much shipping would be from the ebay person and if its more that $20 then just go buy it in the shop. cuase then you can always return it if it breaks or something. i ended up buying a cobra 19..... for $60

oh and Rickey, if my memory serves me right you're coming to the golden gardens meeting for 4ROC tonight. im sure Mark would be more than willing to show you his and talk to you about it. he'll be helping me tune my cb. thanks mark!!!

Last edited by KevyWevy; 07-09-2003 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by KevyWevy
oh and Rickey, if my memory serves me right you're coming to the golden gardens meeting for 4ROC tonight. im sure Mark would be more than willing to show you his and talk to you about it. he'll be helping me tune my cb. thanks mark!!!
Aiye! No sweat... we can have an antenna tuning party!
Old 07-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

is this what you need to tune it? http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=21%2D534
Old 07-09-2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by L33T35T 4Runner
is this what you need to tune it? http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=21%2D534
Yeup, that's it. You may be able to find a less expensive one though. With CB you don't need power handling out to 2000 watts. (legallyCB is limited to 4 watts)
Old 07-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

when do you need to recalibrate? every time you move your antenna?
Old 07-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

yes, or whenever you mount it somewhere new.. if you already have it calibrated..and just remove the antenna, you can put it back on with out doing so again.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

That's the exact tuner that I have.
I believe you need to retune anytime the exterior of your truck changes. With less metal up front (if I decide to keep it that way) I may have to retune it yet again
Old 07-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

I've read a few things on tuning, but how hard is it really? how do you connect the tuner to the end of the antenna cord?

also i dunno if i want a full size unit or the hand-held one with all the stuff on it, (but its still wired)

how about those units that are totally wireless?
Old 07-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

tuning isn't that hard - especially if you have good instructions.

http://www.firestik.com was a lot of help.

You connect the SWR meter to the unit itself via a short coax. The antenna coax goes into the meter.

Tuning, for me anyway, is just really repetitive.
Get out of the car adjust, get in the car to key the mic, get out of the car to adjust, get in the car to key... etc, etc.

I don't know anything about a wireless system.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by L33T35T 4Runner
I've read a few things on tuning, but how hard is it really? how do you connect the tuner to the end of the antenna cord?
It's VERY easy... I just got back from our local 4ROC meeting and I checked two radios in under 10 minutes.

Like TD said, the meter hooks up between the radio and the antenna. You run a short piece of coax (1' or less) from the radio to the meter, (make sure that you buy this, it usually won't come with the meter) , then the antenna to the other "side" of the meter.

You have to first calibrate the meter. The meter will have a switch to select between FWD and REF. Flip that to FWD and key the mic. Use the knob on the meter to set the needle to the "infinity" (full scale) mark. Let go of the mic, then flip the switch to the REF position. Key the mic again and read the SWR ration right off of the meter - it's usually the top half of the scale.

You're looking for the lowest number you can get. The top scale of most meters is calibrated in a "ratio", so when it read "2" that means "2:1". That's a ratio of how much signal is being reflected back into the radio.

1.5:1 or lower is good; 2:1 is usable, but not recommended; 3:1 is flat out BAD and you run the risk of burning up your radio.

One of the guys tonight came up at 1.4:1 without any adjustments. I told him to leave it alone, that all was good.

The other truck we checked showed up at 3:1. I told him not to use the radio too much, we talked about things to change, and I left my SWR meter with him so that he could work on it tomorrow.

If you test yours and find a high SWR, then these are things to check:
  • A solid ground at the antenna base.
  • A solid ground at the radio.
  • Excess antenna wire coiled up. This makes for a clean looking install, but it also generates a magnetic field that will cause a high SWR. The excess should be cut off (you can leave an extra foot so that you can service the radio) and a new end fitted on the radio side.
  • The antenna mounted too close to the body. This is most common on installs on the rear bumper.
  • Old and crusty antenna wire. Replace it.
  • Old and crust antenna mount and/or antenna base. Replace it.

As to handheld vs. All-in-mic vs. dash mount... I started by looking at the handhelds, but then found out that by the time I added on all the stuff to make it a clean install in a rig (external antenna adapter, external mic, and DC power) I was at the price of a good quality dash mount.

I didn't want a permanent dash mount though, so I went with an all-in-mic. I like it, though it lacks some things that may be important to you (or other folks). For example, there's no provision for a PA speaker. Nor is there RF gain whcih can help filter out over-powered signals that are bleeding in from other channels, or can help pull in faint signals.

That can be important on long road trips, but for trail riding, you're basically never more than a couple of hundred feet from someone else, and it's kinda' overkill.

I don't have any experience with wireless rigs... Are they wireless from the base to the antenna? Personally, I think that would present an expensive solution and it's something else to fail.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I posted this in the other CB thread, but I will mention it here too.
On the "YotaTech on the web" page that is linked from YotaTech Community, is a link to a local WA. state CB shop, and they have some vids on this page on how to do the SWR.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:06 PM

Whew! Good one Corey... Thanks for posting it here as well.

I hadn't quite gotten to the other thread yet to see your post over there.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That guy in the pic is who sold me my old white 4' Firestik, and the hood mount I use to use.

The black antenna I have now I got at another shop that I like much better.
It's the one out in Renton not to far from Boeing.
Jet City CB, but I think they changed their name again.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Corey
It's the one out in Renton not to far from Boeing.
Jimi Hendrix rocks!!!