Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Going to the Dyno - What should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to the Dyno - What should I expect?

I have installed the S-AFC, and the Walbro fuel pump. My 305cc injectors have been cleaned and tested. They will go on thursday.

I have an appt. with the guys at Dyno-Comp here in Scottsdale on Friday. They are going to throw it on the rack and get some baseline figures, then tune the runner and the S-AFC. We also spoke about the possibility of going to the 9.5lb pulley if the motor looks strong and we have enough fuel left.

What should I expect from this session? They said that they monitor wide band o2, rpm, hp, egt and boost pressure. Should I be expect these guys to be able to get this just right? They have done S/C'd Tacoma's before and the owner (Richard Garcia) seems very smart. They showed me a couple of their "custom" works and they looked great.

Should I do anything before I take the runner down there? Get it washed? Do the BK44 treatment? (cleap carbon deposits?) anything else?

Thanks guys. I will post before and after results on friday.

EDIT: here is a link to the place that is doing the dyno. (and some info on the dyno they use) http://www.dyno-comp.com/The%20Dyno.htm

Dan

Last edited by asudan96Runner; 07-29-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Dan-

That will be fun. Wish I was in town, I would come down and watch.

Two things from previous dyno experience:

1. Trying to show-off can cause a catostrophe
2. Cranking up the boost when you know (based on readings) that you are lean is a recipe for disaster.

I say this after watching my friend put down 303HP to the wheels on his LS Turbo Teg, then after attracting the attention of all the hick redneck mechanics at the dyno shop (which was also a carb/fuel injection facility), he cranked up the boost controller to 21psi to show off...boom! White smoke everywhere. Lucky for him, he had a block guard on.

That's my advice. Dont get greedy, and have fun!

Be sure to post the dyno chart when you get it.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

I will not be doing the dyno testing, the keys will be in the hands of the guys at dyno-comp. And cranking the boost fast 5psi is impossible... it's a supercharger!

Dan
Old 07-29-2003, 04:47 PM

I suggest you tune your closed loop first shooting for getting all your long term fuel trim as close to zero as possible before trying to do any power tuning.

When they sample air/fuel ratio make real sure they do it before the cat and not after.

Find out what brand dyno that is. It kind of looks like a Dastek dyno, which is a very good one for tuning.

Have fun!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-29-2003, 04:53 PM

Oh, one more thing. When power tuning tune it .2 richer then best power. While sitting still on the dyno the supercharger will get really hot and when you drive down the road it overall will be cooler so if you do not have it at least .2 richer then best power, you will end up lean when it is cooler.

So, if you find best power to be 13.2:1, then tune it for 13.0:1 on the dyno.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by asudan96Runner
And cranking the boost fast 5psi is impossible... it's a supercharger!

Dan
I know, but you mentioned putting a 9.5lb pulley on it. That's what I am talking about.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by Gadget
[BSo, if you find best power to be 13.2:1, then tune it for 13.0:1 on the dyno.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com [/B]
It's not safe to tune open loop conditions for leaner than 12:1 AFR. Not sure if you were using that as an example or what. . .
Old 07-30-2003, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

I suggest you tune your closed loop first shooting for getting all your long term fuel trim as close to zero as possible before trying to do any power tuning.
How exactly do you do this? I assume this is done on the dyno with no boost? Closed loop is when you are NOT at WOT, right?

Thanks.

Dan
Old 07-30-2003, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I know, but you mentioned putting a 9.5lb pulley on it. That's what I am talking about.
You are right. We are only looking at this option if I am satisfied with the results on friday. Otherwise I will stay with stock.

Dan
Old 07-30-2003, 01:04 PM

How exactly do you do this? I assume this is done on the dyno with no boost? Closed loop is when you are NOT at WOT, right?

Thanks.

Dan
You do this by resetting the ECU to kill the fuel trim stored in its memory. Then hook up a scan tool so you can monitor the short and long term fuel trim. Start it up and drive it around staying out of boost. If you see the long term fuel trim going positive you need to richen it and if you see it going negative you need to lean it. Do this for all RPM and load conditions when the engine is not in boost and the ECU is operating in closed loop mode.

You will have to reset the ECU a few times and you are shooting for getting the long term fuel trim as close to ZERO as you can get it. Then go do your power tuning. This method will prevent the ECU from adjusting the base line goofing up your open loop tuning once you have it set up.

What I feel is a common mistake is that people alway seem to want to tune the WOT fuel maps first. They get it all set up and then a week or so latter it is all out of whack, either to rich or to lean and they need to go back to the dyno and do it again. If you set up your closed loop first then tune open loop it seems to lock everything in really well.

Millian:

I have my truck set up to go into open loop at about 2 PSI of boost and I currently have it tuned:

0-2 PSI 13.2:1
2-4 PSI 12.5:1
4+ PSI 12.2:1

With it set up on the dyno to be .2 richer. It runs great and I am getting 250 RWHP.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Gadget,

Great advice. I am still a bit confused on the exact procedure, although I understand the concept.

Is this something the dyno guys can do on the dyno? Or can they only tune at WOT?

How do I change these settings? You say to make it more rich, or more lean... do I do that with the S-AFC?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 07-30-2003, 03:25 PM

Dan, let me know when you are going to the dyno. I do have dyno tuning experience, and I have tuned with the safc before...I'd be happy to help just so I can see the fuel mods increase..maybe we can run my non fuel mods truck too.

~Ralph
Old 07-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Ralph,

My appt has been moved to Friday (the 1st of August) at Noon. If you want to meet up there I bet we can run both trucks.

The last car I saw on a dyno was my friends 240ZX that was pushing over 450hp.

Dan
Old 07-30-2003, 07:10 PM

Gadget,

Great advice. I am still a bit confused on the exact procedure, although I understand the concept.

Is this something the dyno guys can do on the dyno? Or can they only tune at WOT?

How do I change these settings? You say to make it more rich, or more lean... do I do that with the S-AFC?

Thanks,

Dan
Do it BEFORE you go to the dyno. You will go broke having them do it because it will take some time, maybe a few hours.

You can do it by simply driving around normally. Yes you make the adjustments on the AFC.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Do it BEFORE you go to the dyno. You will go broke having them do it because it will take some time, maybe a few hours.

You can do it by simply driving around normally. Yes you make the adjustments on the AFC.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I will be doing the injectors tomorrow after work, and then driving around a bunch.

I assume I am only playing with the "lo" setting here, as that is when we have a open loop. I'm learning... slowly... but I am learning..

Dan
Old 07-31-2003, 06:15 AM

wow you guys are gonna have a lot of fun on friday! Wish I was back to watch this. Any way you could video record it and post it?

If not, good luck and have fun!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
wow you guys are gonna have a lot of fun on friday! Wish I was back to watch this. Any way you could video record it and post it?

If not, good luck and have fun!!!
If I get my camcorder back from my buddy tonight I guess I could record some stuff. Good idea. I'll work on that.

Dan
Old 07-31-2003, 04:25 PM

Hey Dan, shoot me your phone number via pm or email or here, so we can get on the same page for tomorrow. I need to know where to go and all....

~Ralph