Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Going to the Dyno on Thrusday, anything easy ya'll want me to test?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to the Dyno on Thrusday, anything easy ya'll want me to test?

Ok, so on thursday i am going to pick up an engine for my MR2, just so happens they have a dyno there as well and the guys there want to see my truck on it (turns out one of them has been thinking about SC'ing his truck).

So i am going to buy an hours worth of dyno time to see what i am doing with my setup right now.

I am also planning on testing my stock intake vs my ebay intake and see if it makes any differnce.

Anything else simple like that ya'll can think f that would be cool to test? I only have an hour ont he dyno so has to be simple things.

I can't wait to see what i am putting down with my setup, i am hoping for at least 250 until i get the roots replaced in the SC to bring the boost up to ~9psi instead of 6.5 should get me another 30 - 40hp right there, putting me real close to the 300hp mark i was wanting. We will see though.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant wait to see this!! i have a 5vz going into a sand rail and cant decide on turbo or supercharger! plus i have standaloneecu so that might make more power!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRD_yota
i cant wait to see this!! i have a 5vz going into a sand rail and cant decide on turbo or supercharger! plus i have standaloneecu so that might make more power!
Well it depends on what you want, low end power or top end power?

Supercharger gives instant boost for great low end, turbo gives the best top end power. BUT with either one you are limited to about 9psi so without doing some internals work you might as well go with the supercharger and get teh same boost all through the power band.

Leaving in a few hours, first got to pick up the uhual to hual the engine back on.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM

What gen MR2 do you have? I'm guessing you're picking up a 3rd gen 3S-GTE motor?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
What gen MR2 do you have? I'm guessing you're picking up a 3rd gen 3S-GTE motor?
I got a 93 Turbo with a perfect body a frmae for $1500. Just had a knock in the engine. After a lot of debating i decided to get the 3rd gen 3sgte like you said vs rebuilding.

This way i can sell my stock parts and the end result is it is cheaper then a rebuild but i get the 3rd gen and LSD to boot.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 AM

with a t3 turbo there should be virtually no lag and turbos produce a lot less heat

i wish there was a bolt on kit
Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hector200sx
with a t3 turbo there should be virtually no lag and turbos produce a lot less heat

i wish there was a bolt on kit
T3 is pretty small for a 3.4l but if you are not running much boost it might work.

And what do you mean turbos proudce less heat????? They make many many times the heat of a supercharger. You can run an intercooler on a turbo though which can bring the temps back down to that of the supercharger without one. That is unless you go REALLY big intercooler, then it can be cooler.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 01-15-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 AM

TA, do you have any other S/C pulley's laying around? It would be interesting to compare the differences in the 2.2, 2.1, 2.0 put up against your setup. It'd be a quick change too.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by okie81
TA, do you have any other S/C pulley's laying around? It would be interesting to compare the differences in the 2.2, 2.1, 2.0 put up against your setup. It'd be a quick change too.

Yeah, I thought of that too. I still have the stock pulley laying around, so i threw it int he truck last night. I plan to swap it out real quick and see exactly how much more power the 2.2 gives you.

Plus it will help me figure out what my max power will be when i get the new roots and 9+psi of boost vs the 6psi i get now.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 PM

well i was looking that the 5vz makes more power on a turbo setup than super charger. i think it was 272hp with a rough tune. turbo is cool but a little more invloved than sc. i might just go turbo just to be done with it. and what numbers did your SC taco run?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 PM

well i was looking that the 5vz makes more power on a turbo setup than super charger. i think it was 272hp with a rough tune. turbo is cool but a little more invloved than sc. i might just go turbo just to be done with it. and what numbers did your SC taco run?
I'll guess 210. And yes, turbochargers can and often do make significantly more power, but its personal preference what to get. With a small enough turbo, you can get it to spool at low rpms... so turbos can have decent low end as well.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 PM

yeah i know. i want to have the power more from like 2500-redline keeps driveability nice and stops it from getting too hot during cruising.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Yes a tubo will give you more overall power, that is for sure. But the low end and consistancy is never as good as a supercharger. I like hitting it and BAM instant power.

Originally Posted by kmcaprice14
I'll guess 210. And yes, turbochargers can and often do make significantly more power, but its personal preference what to get. With a small enough turbo, you can get it to spool at low rpms... so turbos can have decent low end as well.
Yes, power wise you will get more with a turbo but you lose the instant power that an SC gives. I love that.

Your guesstimate is a little off but not as far as i wish. They should e-mail me the dynos tonight or tomorrow and i will get them posted.

Max power was only 225hp BUT i found some interesting results like i actually made MORE power with the stock pulley??? so needless to say that is not what i should be putting down. I am going to make a post in this thread: later tonight with more details: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...-begins-146485

yeah i know. i want to have the power more from like 2500-redline keeps driveability nice and stops it from getting too hot during cruising.
Well see thread above for exact results, found a lot of interesting stuff.

Power does come on from idle to redline. You step on it and you go. From idle i get 5+psi instantly. Plus if you go WOT at any point you INSTANTLY have full boost. No spool up time, which in my book is what you want for a truck. Now a car turbos are fine but a truck was ment to be supercharged.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 PM

yeah but its going into a sand rail so i think it should be okay.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Ace you are absolutely correct about the boost coming on right now. But one thing you have not mentioned is the fact that the S/C robs power to make power which means that it is less efficient than a turbo. That being said I agree that in a truck torque is more important than high end engine screaming power.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dannomite
Ace you are absolutely correct about the boost coming on right now. But one thing you have not mentioned is the fact that the S/C robs power to make power which means that it is less efficient than a turbo. That being said I agree that in a truck torque is more important than high end engine screaming power.
True, it does use power to make it. thats why the turbo will make more power overall. We totally agree there.

We also agree that for a truck, a supercharger is much better for the tourqe that is needed. Like when i was towing the engine back today, having that instant power on tab was VERY nice vs having that second or 2 lag for boost to kick in.