Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gobi Ladder Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gobi Ladder Installed

First off apologies for no pictures tonight, I tried taking them off the memory card and they were corrupted, so complete installation is gone. I'll do my best of doing a mock up reinstall tomorrow with the pictures.

The install took about an hour and a half. The majority of this was ensuring proper measurements, towards the end I was a little more liberal with placement but its all worked out now. The supplied directions are precise, illustrative and easy to read. After I let the adhesives dry I gave it the full weight yank test with an observer and he noted no movement. I'll break down the setup tomorrow but let me just say the design is ingenious, the weight of being on the ladder plays into the mounts by reinforcing them even more so the added pounds aren't working against the mounts. Pictures tomorrow afternoon sorry for the delay. Any questions just ask I'll be around for a little
Old 10-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Haha how about some recovered photos, res is small but I'm not paying 30 to get the full ones again

Parts supplied in box

Lining up and taping off lines

Removed top mounting plate with reference tape

Top mount plate final adhesion

Holding bottom in place for mount reference tape

Taking ladder off to finalize bottom mounts

Inserting tap screws to further secure top mount

Securing bottom screws to further secure bottom mount

Alan wrench insert on tip of threaded screw to tighten into aluminum back plate, which then further stabilizes the bottom mount

Finishing securing of top mounts with washers and nuts

Finished product

Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO..it LOOKS like arse

of course it does serve a good purpose..and now you and your gf/wife can sit on top to watch fireworks/other assorted stuff..LOL and it makes it a helluva lot easier to put stuff on top and get stuff..lol..

although it doesnt LOOK like it will hole 200+lbs of man..lol or woman?? lmao
Old 10-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Haha it does look pretty pointless with no rack, and even more so that I'm single. When the Gobi Stealth rack comes next week this will make pulling my things like full jerry cans and snowboards out a hell of a lot easier. This is a top quality product for those in the market.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 PM

yah, if you had a bunch of gear up there. I could totally see that being handy, I have to stand on my rear tire to reach anything I put up there. and thats with out a rack. Imagine some one vertically challenged. I like the look!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM

I think the ladder looks awesome! I've been hatching up plans to fab one because standing on the rear tire is a pain. I didn't know someone made them. What's the ball park price range if you don't me mind asking? (cause I'm too lazy to Google it...)
Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Definetly gives it the uh safari, land rover look Pretty schweet.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

You're looking at around $200, I will know about shipping next week. If there is enough interest I'll talk to them about a group buy, I have this same thread at t4r so between the 2 if there are enough i'll get something going
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 PM

I would still be leary of all that weight being put on just the rear hatch. Afraid so wha tit would look like a year or two down the road with regular use.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

Looks nice to me. Goes well with the overall theme of your rig, and I'm sure it will be useful. Nice work as usual.

All that desert tan paint work, and it still reads "Custom black/graphite color scheme" in your sig, lol.

Are you going to leave the ladder black, or will it be tan down the road?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98runner210
I would still be leary of all that weight being put on just the rear hatch. Afraid so wha tit would look like a year or two down the road with regular use.
An obvious concern but if you were to see these mounts you can see how they scream longevity, that coupled with my consistent checking of all parts would ensure if any problems did arise i'd see them coming and take care of them

Originally Posted by malteserunner
Looks nice to me. Goes well with the overall theme of your rig, and I'm sure it will be useful. Nice work as usual.

All that desert tan paint work, and it still reads "Custom black/graphite color scheme" in your sig, lol.

Are you going to leave the ladder black, or will it be tan down the road?
Haha i'll fix the sig line. I think I'm going to leave the ladder black, the powdercoat came out great and the thing I like is that you can barely tell its there at night. Even though the rack and Bushwackers will be free I am still hurting from the suspension rebuild earlier this month and the rear bumper build I've begun chipping away at. Not worth the money at the moment to get it powdercoated tan...but trust me it crossed my mind haha. Once the bushwackers go on they'll be tan and I think that'll be enough for the truck
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM

not to argue, but regardless of the mounts, they are still mounted just to the hatch right? I would be worried about the hatch hinges or something with a large amount of weight that never designed to put on the hatch or hinges like that.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

consistent checking is always key, problems related to stress and strain are rarely spontaneous. i've been anal through this whole process and weighing all the factors i couldn't think of a better way to do this. i can see your concern though as i had some before it got here, but with every step i completed i was more assured of the design
Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 AM

so where's this rack you speak of?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 88Cleve4runner
so where's this rack you speak of?
I believe its getting shipped out next week. Should have it sometime week after next.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great look MillerPKA- I think I am just a few blocks from the Gobi dealer of Commerce City CO

I am guessing this would have some influence on your rear bumper design-especially if with tire holder.

thanks for the pics and the recovery of same
Old 10-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not bad. I'm sure it will look better when you get the full rack installed. Thanks for the photos.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, it will be a lot better when its complete that's for sure.

Here is a pdf I made with a more observational instruction guide to supplement those given to you with the ladder.

http://freepdfhosting.com/f10cddfe6e.pdf