Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

gears/lockers on a 99 s/c 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gears/lockers on a 99 s/c 5speed

ok im starting to get enough money to put some stuff in the 4runner...almost doing paying pops for the 4runner and im already spending money on making it sweeter.

yes, ive read, and searched for about an hour now, and after all the reading, especially from jeff the marmot and bamachem (my name is andy too) it looks like since ive got a 5speed i should go w/ 4.56's. i think its also best to throw in some lockers, however right now i dont really have the funds for a selectable one up front, so i think im going to go with an automatic one in the rear (detroit or lock right).

my question comes with the supercharger. i have no fuel mods or anything of that sort. i dont have any pinging, and it runs clean. after reading what andy did, i think i might do the same, however i really like the s/c and how it makes the 4runner actually quick! bottomline...is the supercharger going to help out as much with torque AFTER the regear, as it did BEFORE? basically, i need to know should i toss the s/c since its not really doing much....thanks for any input about my plan for the regear and lockers.

im running 305/70/16 tires.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by northfacer581
ok im starting to get enough money to put some stuff in the 4runner...almost doing paying pops for the 4runner and im already spending money on making it sweeter.

yes, ive read, and searched for about an hour now, and after all the reading, especially from jeff the marmot and bamachem (my name is andy too) it looks like since ive got a 5speed i should go w/ 4.56's. i think its also best to throw in some lockers, however right now i dont really have the funds for a selectable one up front, so i think im going to go with an automatic one in the rear (detroit or lock right).

my question comes with the supercharger. i have no fuel mods or anything of that sort. i dont have any pinging, and it runs clean. after reading what andy did, i think i might do the same, however i really like the s/c and how it makes the 4runner actually quick! bottomline...is the supercharger going to help out as much with torque AFTER the regear, as it did BEFORE? basically, i need to know should i toss the s/c since its not really doing much....thanks for any input about my plan for the regear and lockers.

im running 305/70/16 tires.
the SC is doing a ton w/ you running 305's on stock gears. going to 4.56's will give you TONS of power. however, you should FIRST get at least some sort of timing device to stop any pinging that you're not hearing. AFTER that and ONLY after that, then get some gears and try to hold out for an ARB or e-Locker. pull the diff/third yourself and you'll save $200 or more in labor and learn alot in the process. 4.56's are nice. they made such a difference, the ONLY time that it feels different than when it was SC'd is on the highway at higher speeds - and it's only slightly different. i'm happy w/ what i did, and i'd do it the same way if given the chance. however, if i ran across another SC for $500 like the last one, then i'd jump on it in a heartbeat!
Old 08-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Like Andy said, you really need to do something about the pinging you aren't hearing. You also need to put a Walbro 190 in it if you do any sustained WOT runs. Colder plugs and a 170 degree thermostat will also help a lot. But most importantly, you are going to need to adjust the timing by installing a piggyback controller, such as the FTC or SMT. I am in the process of installing the SMT6 which I picked up for $350. It's a great little unit, but I am having some trouble right now getting it going on my 96. If you don't have support for the SMT, don't even bother with it. You are going to need to cut a couple ECU wires (MAF and CPS) and T off some others. Once you get everything going, you actually tune the fuel and timing maps with a laptop. It really is pretty trick. My SMT is not hooked up at the moment because of some global setting issues, which we hope to resolve soon. Anyway, even with all my other mods, I still get ping under load in 3 - 5 gears; mainly between 2K and 2.5K RPM. Not good. And that is the ping you CAN hear - imagine the detonation or spark knock that could be going on that you CANNOT hear.

Anyway, if the idea of adding fuel mods and a piggyback scare you, sell that puppy and change the gearing.

As for me, I am keeping the SC'r. It really shined this weekend going up North while loaded with camping gear and passing a bunch of cars and big rigs at 6000ft. Totally awesome. Gears will not provide that type of roll-on acceleration.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 08-08-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like i need gadgets urd kit. ive pretty much been debating between regear/lockers and urd kit. ive got the money for one, not both. sounds like the urd kit should come first. after reading gadgets site...well bible...the kit pretty much takes care of everything w/ the supercharger. id definately like to keep it. ill be placing an order for the kit within the next month. im trying to figure out how hard it is to install. ive got a buddy who's dsm (95 gst eclipse) whos done everything himself on his car so he knows what hes doing, i think me and him should be able to knock it out. maybe i could find somewhere on here thats close to charlotte to help out too.

what everyone says about this situation makes sense. pretty straight forward. the supercharger needs other things to run at optimum performance, and to prevent future problems. the gears are pretty simple too. i think i will take andy's advice and save up for the arb or a nice e-locker...might as well. im in no rush. just turned 17 a month ago