Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gauges for Trucks

Old 11-01-2005, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges for Trucks

I am installing a set of gauges in the useless pocket above the stereo. I think only 1.5" gauges will fit, maybe 2" gauges. Can some of you guys post some pics of gauges in this location and tell me how easy it was to install. I here autometer is a good gauge for the price and they have 1.5" gauges to fit that space. The thing is I have cheap gauges and have to replace the gages with a better set. I didn't like the idea of having an oil pressure line above the stereo and inside the cab. The ammeter gauges is very jumpy. I'm not sure if it is a cheap gauge or the alternator charging circuit. When the battery is discharging the gauge is stable. When I first start the truck the gauge is also stable, but starts jumping around after 15-20Sec. I'm thinking it is an alternator issue. Anyway, the gauges are comming out and better gauges are going in. The temp gauge is an oil temp gauge. I want a water temp gauge also. I hear the best place to tap off the block is the engine block drain plug. I am alos thinking about changing the ammeter to a volt meter.

Last edited by sandiego; 11-01-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
go to gadgetonline.com and go to his gauge pod page. maybe that will give you ideas. also, go to my page here for an alternate suggestion (A pillar). its a lotek gauge pod. http://www.4runners.org/articles/gaugeoil

also, visit roger brown's webpage. he did the same (a pillar) mount

bob
Old 11-02-2005, 10:06 AM

It is possible to cram 2 or even 3 52mm (2 1/16") gauges into the DIN-sized pocket area. It won't be all that pretty (e.g., the gauge rims may overlap the dash face around them...), but it's possible.

I'm not clear on which gauges you want to end up with... You said you didn't like the idea of running a line for a mechanical oil pressure gauge - does that mean you've given up on the pressure gauge entirely????...

One alternative to the voltmeter I've been mulling over would be an LED 'battery status monitor' of the sort used on motorcycles. This is a multi-color LED bulb (panel-mounted) whose color indicates battery (voltage) status. Costs about as much as a decent voltmeter (circa $50?...), but could be mounted anywhere to free up other space for other gauges. If you want to check it out, go looking online for Sterling Motorworks (I hope I got that right...).

Another tactic for saving space would be to go with dual gauges (2 - in -1 meters). Westach makes analog versions, and SPA Technique makes digital versions. These aren't all that cheap, though....

Also, premium gauge manufacturers HKS and Defi offer triple DIN gauge units that are designed to fit in a DIN slot. (Again - not cheap....)
Old 11-03-2005, 04:49 AM

I'm not clear on which gauges you want to end up with... You said you didn't like the idea of running a line for a mechanical oil pressure gauge - does that mean you've given up on the pressure gauge entirely????...
I do want an oil pressure gauge. I am thinking of an electrical oil pressure gauge or, if I have to go with a mechanical gauge, maybe something with a braided SS line. Does anyone know if such things exist? I am thinking along the lines of a 1.5" autometer gauge for replacements. Anyone have experiences with autometer gauges? Model 2354 and 2355?

I did see the Defi mini gauges. They are definitely expensive and I didn’t like the fact they only come in metric. I think Stewart Warner had a similar set for much cheaper, maybe $150?? SW-82459. I haven't seen the SKS gauge.

I did check out the gauge Pods. I will get one if I need to install more gauges. Right now I have to get my gauges working or I will have a hole in the dash or gauges sitting there that are not functional. I think replacing them is probably the easiest option. I am unsure if the 2" gauges would work. It looks like they might; I am hoping to see a set of pics of an install by someone who did this job.

Thank you guys for your help.

Last edited by sandiego; 11-03-2005 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:34 AM

Well... To get an idea of 2" or 2 1/16" gauges in DIN slots - though on a 4Runner - check Gadget's gauges page. The main website address is:

www.GadgetOnline.com

If you feel you need to get smaller (than 52mm / 2 1-16") gauges... Omori, VDO, Datcon, and HKS (I think...) offer smaller ones. These smaller ones (as individual units) are usually mechanical and / or non-illuminated.

DIN-sized gauge panels with cutouts for (3) 52mm gauges are common on eBay, and they can be had from eGauges.com. This would give you a face plate, and you'd have to fiddle with the mounting behind it. As I said - it's possible to cram (3) 52mm units in there if you're (a) willing to tweak it and (b) aren't too terribly squeamish about detailed looks afterward.

Finally - if you'd consider putting a pocket in the DIN slot and moving the new gauges elsewhere - the VuMaxx universal gauge mount kit is a good cheap option (check eGauges.com).

Last edited by EnolaGaia; 11-03-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:35 AM

Where do you tap off the engine block for water temp? I can't find a port on the 3.4L for my water temp gauge? Did the engineers forget to put one on the 3.4L?

IF I'm doing it, it can't be easy
Old 11-06-2005, 11:20 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
How bout somethin diffrent?
Attached Thumbnails Gauges for Trucks-p6260099crx.jpg  
Old 11-06-2005, 01:11 PM

Nice job. It looks very cool and fits like the factory did it. I like the paint job, who did the details on your truck?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:28 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Dunno. It was like that when I stole it...

Tom Meyer, owner of FX Auto Body in Roseburg Oregon did the paint.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I crammed 2 autometer autolight gauges in the din pocket area. well actually were the radio normally is cause the bastards that had my truck before butchered up the dash putting a stereo in, so i took that din slot and put my gagues in it, and moved the radio down to the bottom din slot.

I THINK i have some of my fab pics ill have to see.

(pics hear when i find them)
Old 11-07-2005, 02:42 PM

Many thanks Mr Snap-on. Pictures will help me a lot. Did you add a water temp gauge. Trying to get info on the port for water temp gauge and I'm not getting any bites. Where does the water temp sender go. I would think there is a place on the block or the intake manifold. THanks for your help
Old 11-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sandiego
Where do you tap off the engine block for water temp? I can't find a port on the 3.4L for my water temp gauge? Did the engineers forget to put one on the 3.4L?
It's already there... It's sitting at the front edge of the intake manifold - or are you looking to do something different than mimic the gauge on the dash?

Also, when you're shopping gauges, don't skip over Westach. They make double and quad dial 2" gauges. I run one as an A/FR & EGT gauge in an A-pillar pod:

(click for larger pic)

Last edited by midiwall; 11-08-2005 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:35 PM

I am trying to add a temperature gauge for the radiator/engine block. Any place I can find a port for the aftermarket gauge. I want something with numbers on so I can tell what the temp is. I would like something that fits between the pocket and the radio. I moved the radio below the gauges suggested by someone on this forum for better visibility. It should be nice when I am done, but I think I started to many projects at the same time. Doing this and the taurus fan mod, adding lights, completed the deck plate mod and just changed the clutch on the kids truck. Been a little busy lately.

Your gauges look cool and I do like the dual set up. If things don't work out might get a gauge pod. Everyone says good things about them and I like the dual gauge idea.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:18 AM

Tony... There are two temp senders in the block, one drives the temp gauge on the panel and the other one feeds the ECU for help in making fuel management decisions.

The easiest one to get ahold of is the one for the ECU, which is in the front of the intake manifold on top of the block.

Here's a pic (click for a larger view):

The electrical junction is what you're looking for (not the vacuum lines). The brown wire is ground.

There's a bit more babble on locating this on my "ECT Mod" page. Look at the section titled "Finding the right wire".

Last edited by midiwall; 11-11-2005 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:39 PM

I did find the port in the front (Thanks you very much for your assistance) My gauge is a mechanical gauge, which means I have to add a "T" in there. I don't have the electrical gauge set up. Does anyone have part numbers for the "T" and maybe some adapters? My oil pressure gauge will be the electrical type.

Question: If I did have the electrical type, is it possible to tap off the wires and wire the sender to the existing temp sensor. Put the temp sensor in parallel with ECU and the installed gauge?

Or is this to easy?

Last edited by sandiego; 11-14-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by sandiego
I did find the port in the front (Thanks you very much for your assistance) My gauge is a mechanical gauge...
"Mechanical"? As in you need to run plumbing into the cab? Plumbing that will be carrying coolant that's running upwards of 180*?

Ummm... BAD idea. If anything was to EVER happen with the plumbing line, you would have a spray of 180 degree fluid all over the cab. We're talking 3rd degree (missing skin) burns. Please do NOT do this.

If I did have the electrical type, is it possible to tap off the wires and wire the sender to the existing temp sensor. Put the temp sensor in parallel with ECU and the installed gauge?
Yes you could, and yes it'd be just that easy.

But... the sensor feeding the gauge on the dash and the sensor feeding the ECU are two different sensors - do NOT connect them together. Pick one and run an electrical gauge in parallel with the wiring.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I added an eng temp and trans temp. I wussed out (ran out of time) and spliced the tranny temp into the rubber line going to the cooler in the radiator, and did the same for the coolant line running to the oil cooler on my 3VZE. booty fab i know but it was the day before my CO trip when i was wireing everything up.

(sorry i havent dug any pics up yet)
Old 11-28-2005, 12:13 AM

How did you set up your engine temp gauge? Mine is a 3.4L and the gauges are still not finished. I need an adapter from the engine port (BP to NPT) or a "T"., hopeful the port for the oil pressure sender from tyhe factory is NPT. Still an on going project for something as simple as a set of gauges. Hopefully will finish up this week.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 PM

Can you just thread an EGT gauge sender into the welded bung from the URD tuning kit? I just installed the URD fuel upgrade kit and now I want to tune it and install a boost gauge and EGT gauge....