Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gauge cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Gauge cluster lights

Just had an issue come up that has me a bit baffled right now. Lost all my gauge lights. Everything was working previously and no new mods are in progress. Checked fuse box but fuses are all fine. I'm sure it is something common to all the indicator lights for the gauge cluster, but I have no indicators for the center console (A/C section), gauge lights for speedo, needles, gauges in the main cluster, rear window light. Not sure what to check next. any suggestions?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
The dimmer switch, maybe its turned all the way down ?

Just a thought.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scuba
The dimmer switch, maybe its turned all the way down ?

Just a thought.

Not to make you feel stupid or anything, but this has happened a few times at my dealership when people hit the dome override button. If the dimmer is not the problem, I believe mine actually had a dimmer fuse. Check to see if yours has one. If not then I'd suspect the switch itself.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the dome light switch (middle of ceiling)-the one that switches from door to on to off -that is affecting the dash gauges?

Is that what you are saying ironmike4x4? I am not doubting you-just don't see the relationship there.

Sounds like a dash ground to me but ritzy you got to admit you have a few extra special touches going on. Don't you have LEDs or some custom coloring going on plus your added indicator lights? Are they all sharing a common ground, you thought of this already I betya.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 AM

All great suggestions and will delve into each one this week. Have my son coming over so we can take things apart to check them out. Never thought about the dimmer switch, grounds are also a good catch as I do have a few "extra" ground wires! Will post up what I find. Ron, never worry about if I thought of it or not, sometimes it takes someone else to see the obvious. That happens when you are standing too close to the issue! LOL

Everyone have a gr8, happy and safe 4th of July!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd like to know what happens with this as well...that reminds me i'm way overdue for a led tail/gauge upgrade
Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 AM

Well it was a simple fix. Had an issue with the dimmer switch. I have worked on this lower panel so much that I managed to mess up one of the wires that goes to the switch. Quickie repair to the wire, check the dimmer level operation and voila!

Like I said in the post sometimes you need the input from someone who isn't standing so close to the issue! Thanks guys! Now to replace the cooling fan controller ... that is another story I will chronicle in another write up! Just to give you a tid-bit, my electric fan mod started to give me a bit of a fit, coming on when the engine was cooling off and starting the fan, running till it killed the battery, happened once when I was at a basketball game I was referreeing, and once in my driveway. Glad I used the three-way switch from the rear heater fan control so I could use the intermediate position to turn the circuit off, anyway, it gets replaced this weekend. Happy 4th of July!