Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gasket and seal set for 5 cylinder 3VZ-E

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Ava

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasket and seal set for 5 cylinder 3VZ-E

I have a 5 cylinder SSR-X and found water on the spark plug and I also don't smell petrol when I run the engine without this spark plug. I loose about a liter of water or more a day. I must have a leaking HG and went shopping. Couldn't find a HG but one outlet offered me a complete overhaul set with gaskets and seals for a 2VZ engine. They said it would fit my 3VZ-E. Is this so?

I suspect the injector to be glogged. I can hear the injector lifting with a screwdriver against my ear. Can an injector be completely blocked? And can I remove the obstruction with compressed air? (Where I live I don't think I can find a ultra sonic cleaner).

Can anyone send me to a image or good description on how to connect the various tubes to the head. I have a Haynes 4Runner manual but the pictures and images are too confusing to be trusted. I suspect the previous owner to have messed things up. I'm burning 1 liter on 4 kilometers.

And then an idiot cleaned my engine with a high pressure water cleaner (200 atmosphere I think) and destroyed a lot of rubber, paint, stickers and my alternator. What kind of riot gun and ammo do I need to rectify this?

Later: An engineer told me there is an additive you can put in the cooling system (not the one used for a leaky radiator) that stops leaking HG's and even fills cracks in the head. Any of you guys have ever heard of this stuff?

Ava.

Last edited by Ava; 04-10-2003 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Gasket and seal set for 5 cylinder 3VZ-E

Originally posted by Ava
I have a 5 cylinder SSR-X and found water on the spark plug and I also don't smell petrol when I run the engine without this spark plug. I loose about a liter of water or more a day. I must have a leaking HG and went shopping. Couldn't find a HG but one outlet offered me a complete overhaul set with gaskets and seals for a 2VZ engine. They said it would fit my 3VZ-E. Is this so?

I suspect the injector to be glogged. I can hear the injector lifting with a screwdriver against my ear. Can an injector be completely blocked? And can I remove the obstruction with compressed air? (Where I live I don't think I can find a ultra sonic cleaner).

Can anyone send me to a image or good description on how to connect the various tubes to the head. I have a Haynes 4Runner manual but the pictures and images are too confusing to be trusted. I suspect the previous owner to have messed things up. I'm burning 1 liter on 4 kilometers.

And then an idiot cleaned my engine with a high pressure water cleaner (200 atmosphere I think) and destroyed a lot of rubber, paint, stickers and my alternator. What kind of riot gun and ammo do I need to rectify this?

Later: An engineer told me there is an additive you can put in the cooling system (not the one used for a leaky radiator) that stops leaking HG's and even fills cracks in the head. Any of you guys have ever heard of this stuff?

Ava.
Hmmmm I cant really help you other than the riot gun and ammo....

I have a prefrence for a Remington 11-87, with a speed loading paddle, 13 shot magazine extension, upgraded operating handle, lengthened forcing cones, porting, a spreader choke, my four 4 shell speed loaders (loads 4 shells in under 2 seconds,) the combat sling, rechargable mag light, about 10 rounds of No4 buck, and about 40 rounds of slugs.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That gasket sealer stuff you're talking about is called Liquid Glass. I've never used it but I've heard about it. Personally, something as serious as a head gasket, I'd just go ahead and replace the gasket rather than take my chances.

BTW, a 5 cylinder? The only 5 cylinder I've ever seen is the one that GM just came out with. If another exists, it would have to be inline and I don't see how the gaskets could be compatible with a 3VZE.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Churnd
That gasket sealer stuff you're talking about is called Liquid Glass. I've never used it but I've heard about it. Personally, something as serious as a head gasket, I'd just go ahead and replace the gasket rather than take my chances.

BTW, a 5 cylinder? The only 5 cylinder I've ever seen is the one that GM just came out with. If another exists, it would have to be inline and I don't see how the gaskets could be compatible with a 3VZE.
I think he meant that it's normally a 6 cyl, but one of the cylinders isnt firing, so he's calling it a 5cyl....lol I almost said the same thing.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:47 AM

Well he also said SSR-X so I figured he might have some kinda Subaru or Volkswagen rally car with a 5 cylinder engine.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

read his signature, it has v-6, and it is a 3VZ-E, that is the 3.0. the ssr-x, that is just like our sr5 package over here in the states. i would recomend just replacing the head gasket, it is not to hard of a job.

oh, and churnd, volvo has been making inline 5's for a long time, and at one point even audi had one, but theres didnt last. the new gm is litereally a 4.2 I-6 withought the rear cylinder. same with the new I-4, it is the 6 missing two cylinders. that would be how gm saves money, they dont even make a new engins, they just butcher one they have. its the 350 to the 4.3 all over again.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by joez
read his signature, it has v-6, and it is a 3VZ-E, that is the 3.0. the ssr-x, that is just like our sr5 package over here in the states. i would recomend just replacing the head gasket, it is not to hard of a job.

oh, and churnd, volvo has been making inline 5's for a long time, and at one point even audi had one, but theres didnt last. the new gm is litereally a 4.2 I-6 withought the rear cylinder. same with the new I-4, it is the 6 missing two cylinders. that would be how gm saves money, they dont even make a new engins, they just butcher one they have. its the 350 to the 4.3 all over again.
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't see his sig, but now I noticed that he has a Surf. I didn't know that SSR-X was a trim line. I do now though!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

and at one point even audi had one, but theres didnt last.
Audi did have them, and they were actually around for a while, I think it was 8 years.

Most notably you will find them in an Audi 90, which can be quite a screamer with a turbo kit.

My friends 90 Audi 90 did 145MPH, indicated anyway.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:08 AM

The old Acura Vigors had a 5 banger too.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

the audis were reporting that after extended periods of high rpms, a ballance proble, from what i understood. this is what i read, and it really only was a problem on the autobahn(sp). i thought they were only arround for 6 years, but that was my mistake.

good to know on the acura's though, i never knew honda made a I-5. interesting.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

the audis were reporting that after extended periods of high rpms, a ballance proble, from what i understood. this is what i read, and it really only was a problem on the autobahn(sp). i thought they were only arround for 6 years, but that was my mistake.

good to know on the acura's though, i never knew honda made a I-5. interesting.
Dont mark my word on 8 years...I was guessing.

Good call on the Acura. That's funny about GM hacking off cyl from existing engines!

Sorry, this is getting off topic...