Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gas needed to run with S/C

Old 02-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gas needed to run with S/C

Can any of you with a supercharger run regular gas without pinging (assuming you have the URD fuel mods kit)?
I was just curious if only the super can be run or if regular is possible as well.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only if you retard the hell out of the timing, which will negate the reason for getting it in the first place...

i can run 87 w/ very little pinging, but after doing my research, any pinging is VERY bad and WILL be detrimental to the life of the engine. if it pings it WILL grenade at some point.

since then, i've run ONLY 93 octane w/ the cooler plugs and no fuel mods or timing adjustment and i'm doing fine. i am running slightly rich at less than wide open throttle (WOT), but not too bad.

the URD kit will fix the ping, add more fuel at WOT, and give you more power to boot.

the fuel mods aren't REQUIRED for the SC, but the high octane and the possibility of the timing computer is REQUIRED.

Last edited by bamachem; 02-25-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:00 AM

I'd say no way Jamie. I think that I've seen one person here claim that they're doing it without _any_ pinging, but I can't explain how it would happen.

I'm running 91 octane, got fuel mods, a timing controller and I'm still pinging (HG/LR). I can't retard the timing enough to get rid of it. Now, I'm also throwing a "Knock Sensor Bank 2" code which is probably a lot of the problem. From the people I've talked to, the thought is that I knocked off the lead putting on the S/C (it's in the front left corner on top of the block, under the S/C). I'll have to pull the S/C to check it.

I'm also about to put in Iridium IK20 plugs (one step colder) to see if that helps.

If you're thinking about doing an S/C, then I really suggest figuring in the cost of fuel/timing mods as well. As you know, the URD kit is highly regarded...

fwiw, I was able to get plenty of fuel to the engine on stock injectors and fuel pump just with the SMT, but I was maxing out the injector pulse width to do it. I finally moved to a Walbro to gain some headroom. I'm still on stock injectors.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

That was sort of what I was afraid of (ie if you tried to run regular, you would need to retard the timing so badly it would negate a large part of the power increase). Well I guess if a smokin deal on a S/C comes around (like for 400-600) then I'll go for it but past that I think I will just save my pennies to buy a 2003 4th gen with a V8 in about 2-3 years.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Banned

I've found that the 96 ecu is probally the worst about pinging issues. My 99 seems to be one of the few that can run the SC in all conditions w/ just the cooler plugs and 93 octane and COMPLETELY get rid of the ping issue.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Jamie et al-

What do you guys think about running a larger pulley on the SC'r? Just yesterday I was so dissappointed with my rigs' performance that I almost put a bid on Andy's SC'r when I got home.

Anyway, I almost started a new thread about this. But my question is whether or not a pulley could be fabricated that would produce 4 psi or so. I could use an extra 30+ horses and the torque.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

TRD makes a 5psi pulley to "fix" the ping issue before the TRD 7th kit came out. The stock pulley is ~7psi.

It supposedly reduces power quite a bit, and you still have to run 91+, but you shouldn't have any ping w/ the cooler plugs and possibly a cooler thermostat (170*)

I'll put you in line if you want me to, but it isn't pulled yet, and it won't until AFTER I regear and see what it's like then. Hell, there's a slight chance that I will keep it if things go really well over the next couple of months and I get a good cheap commuter. No reason to sell it if I'm not driving it 500 miles a week and I'm not breaking axles on the trail...

The SC has been a toy and also an investment for me. I got it used. It's tying up some capital. When I sell it, the capital is freed up for other uses. If I need the capital, it goes bye bye. If the "toy" costs me too much money, then it goes bye bye. Until then, it's still a fun toy...

Last edited by bamachem; 02-25-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Good to know, thanks.

I am so sick and tired of flogging the gears just to get in front of a mom and her kids in an Astro Van (happened yesterday, mom punched it). I just want to be cautious so one frustration does not lead to another (pinging).

*Dont put me officially in line. I am still sorting out my lack of power. It could be something else, like the headers leaking at the collectors...

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 02-25-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Banned

of you are going to have a supercharger, it needs good gas.....

if you cant afford to lose, dont play the game....
Old 02-26-2005, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

I am thinking I will hold off on the S/C especially since I have a 96, so the ECU may have some issues (if I get a 99+ soon I will go with a S/C on that....but more likely I will jump right to a 4th gen V8). I think the smaller pulley will absolutely work, but how well it will remove pinging or allow running regular pump gas is anyone's guess. I would guess it will remove pinging but still require super at fill-up.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-26-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:09 AM
Banned

you mean LARGER pulley.

Big = LESS boost

Small = MORE boost
Old 02-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
you mean LARGER pulley.

Big = LESS boost

Small = MORE boost
Yes, mental lapse there.
I was thinking more of what direction I would want to go if I had a S/C.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Can any of you with a supercharger run regular gas without pinging (assuming you have the URD fuel mods kit)?
I was just curious if only the super can be run or if regular is possible as well.
There was a guy with a 4Runner that asked the same question a few years ago. He felt he did not get a straight answer so he decided to start running regular fuel. He went on a trip through the mountains and at first felt that the regular gas was giving him a performance increase.

After the third tank of fuel in his trip, he noticed a significant power loss and a very rough idle. It was so rough it would stall out if he did not give it gas to keep the RPMs up.

Well, he had it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. A compression check showed no compression on three cylinders. The engine was torn down and all the pistons showed significant damage, with three completely holed through the tops.

The interesting thing is that the owner reported almost no ping at all.

So, run regular gas with your supercharger if you want, but be prepared to replace the engine if you do.

Gadget
Old 02-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
There was a guy with a 4Runner that asked the same question a few years ago. He felt he did not get a straight answer so he decided to start running regular fuel. He went on a trip through the mountains and at first felt that the regular gas was giving him a performance increase.

After the third tank of fuel in his trip, he noticed a significant power loss and a very rough idle. It was so rough it would stall out if he did not give it gas to keep the RPMs up.

Well, he had it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. A compression check showed no compression on three cylinders. The engine was torn down and all the pistons showed significant damage, with three completely holed through the tops.

The interesting thing is that the owner reported almost no ping at all.

So, run regular gas with your supercharger if you want, but be prepared to replace the engine if you do.

Gadget
That's not really the kind of game I am willing to play at this point (my wife drives the truck too and I don't want to risk it with her filling up).
Thanks for the feedback though!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-26-2005 at 06:33 PM.