Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gas mileage too good, bigger tires should remedy ;) (wheel spacer Q's)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas mileage too good, bigger tires should remedy ;) (wheel spacer Q's)

Hey gang, been a bit since I've been on, but I got new tires, so of course I'm back with questions. I went up from the old 31x10.5r15 to 33x10.5r15 on the stock rims, and not suprisingly, I get a little frame rub at full crank.
I'm wondering about wheel spacers. I've largely heard bad things about them. Does anybody here wheel with them? Posts over at TTORA suggest that camburg and marlin both make 'em, I figure they'd be the best bets for safety and quality.

Oh, and of course the truck looks totally bad-arse with the new tires, when i find my digicam i'll post the required "new mod" pics.

( I got a new, to me, bike, so I don't mind the truck being a little slower, have to do some pics in off topic some time)

Thanks all....
Ian
Old 12-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've ran the All-pro 1.5" bolt on wheel spacers (AKA Wheel adapters) for the past year. I haven't noticed any negative effects. Only reason I got them instead of marlin was because they were on sale at the time.

I was running 285s on stock rims and was getting the same rubbing issues so thats why I bought them. No complaints and they are good quality.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:22 PM

Ian, your alive! I wondered what you been up to. Good to hear your putting some meat under that tacoma of yours. Make sure you post pictures.

Last edited by rngrchad; 12-17-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just don't get the 0.25" slip on kind-they are horrible. Spend some extra $$ and get the good one's from Marlin or something similar.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Chad-how's life? Are you still in hocking? I'm back in Baltimore MD, working about 70 to 80 hours a week. Do you still want my bench seat? I won some celica buckets on ebay that I will pick up over my x-mas hiatus. I believe the are straight up rubbing on the frame. I'm all ready to beat up the pinch weld....I really wanted MT's ,but ended up getting up AT's since I'm 99.9% daily driver and the MT's sound pretty bad for rain...

SC4Runner(also dragr1) , I saw your posts regarding tire and wheel fitment before I put this up, glad to hear the allpros have treated you well in the long haul. Before I went out drining to-nite I looked at Marlins site (camburg had no info) ad I'll probably go with what they sell. BTW, their spacers looks similar to the performance accessories ones, are they pretty much (or completely) the same?

Oh hey y'all, I just got an elocker off of ebay, so keep on eye out for all sorts of new and annoying posts from yours truly once it warms up.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Chad, I didn;t shoot the picture in your avatar did I? I don't think so, but it looks familiar.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:58 PM

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by ianshoots
Chad-how's life? Are you still in hocking? I'm back in Baltimore MD, working about 70 to 80 hours a week. Do you still want my bench seat? I won some celica buckets on ebay that I will pick up over my x-mas hiatus. I believe the are straight up rubbing on the frame. I'm all ready to beat up the pinch weld....I really wanted MT's ,but ended up getting up AT's since I'm 99.9% daily driver and the MT's sound pretty bad for rain...
I graduated Hocking about 6 months or so ago. I'm still working in the construction/remodeling bizz...about to go back to school for large equipment operators license. Your working more than me! Sheesh Ian I don't feel so bad about my 60 hr weeks now. Do I want the bench seat?? hmm not right now. I've got all my money on hold for the time being. Mt's are tolerable in the rain, however they are absolutely inferior to bfg at's or revo's.... w/ that locker you'll be getting, those at's will be amazing offroad. If you make it back to the buckeye state, pm me. Maybe we'll have a beer.

Oh and the avatar pic, that's from an area in Athen ohio. However, my old avatar was a picture you took!

Last edited by rngrchad; 12-17-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:26 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
33x10.50's shouldn't rub (they don't on my 2nd gen) - is your alignment OK?

Oh - and going from 31's to 33's hasn't seemed to change my mileage much. Speedo only reads 1 MPH slower than the GPS at 75 MPH (speedo indicated)

Last edited by tc; 12-18-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

tc, funny you should as about the alignment. I got the tires from Sears, nationwide service and pile of other places here in Baltimore told me that BFG only made 33x12.5's (funny I didn't believe them). Were I back home in ohio I'm sure more places could have helped me. Back to me story.
I ordered the tires last sunday. they came i mid-week, as promised. when the sales guy called to tell me I asked if i could make and appointment. I was told sears only does walkins. I mentioned that sucking, and said I'd be in on saturday. I hit the Auto-center yesterday at a little after 2pm. In addition to the installation of the tires i requested an alignment check. I was told it'd be about 2.5 hours. I said fine, initialed everything, and wandered off for some pre-christmas torment in the mall (white marsh for any balitmorons). after about 20 minutes a tech calls to tell me that the tires will rub the frame a little at full crank, under compression (he also tells me they have to take my front mud-flaps off). I say go-ahead and put them on. 1.5 hours after the initial drop-off a tech (probably the same guy) calls my cell to say its done. BUT, I need an alignment. I tell him that i put in for an alignment when i dropped the truck off. Its just now 4pm, or so, and he says there's no time for one (they why let me sign in for it) BUT that its really important that i get one to protect the new tires. Duh.
Anyway, yeah, i need an alignment, I'm not going back there, and I have a feeling it'll be a struggle to get one before thursday, which sucks, cause its my daily driver.

on a side note, what GPS do you have? i just treated myself to a new Garmin Vista
C (planning to use it in the truck and on my bandit with a handlebar mount).
Old 12-18-2005, 04:13 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is funnier than you think. When I bought the truck in October, the camber was off noticeably, and I took it to Sears to have it aligned. Just before Thanksgiving, I had the steering recall done. I got new tires on Friday, and noticed it pulling to the right on a trip down to Columbus this weekend. So I took it into Sears for the "free within 6 months" check. Their check showed it was out, so they adjusted it. Unfortunately, they remembered the truck since it was such a PITA the first time, and all the new parts this time. So they made me pay for the alignment, which I will be *attempting* to back charge to the dealer who did the recall.

So you went with the BFG 33x10.50 then? Not a whole lot of choices in that size
I went with the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT. I think most of the Interco's come in that size.

Just a cheapie Garmin Etrex. Works good enough for what I do (mostly getting accurate distance and speed on the Jetski!)
Old 12-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, wish I could justify running MT's (still would have gone with the same size) but its my daily driver, and from what I hear about MTs in the rain, I made the rational decision. If i start getting off-road more often (say three times a year....) maybe I'll get an extra set of wheels, or another car.

Oh hey, anyone with any thoughts on spacers, or should I have been more serious with my title?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Chad, i'll be rolling into ohio friday night. Be there until the second probably. If you still have your buckets and console, I was thinking of a straight up trade on the seats, no cash involved!
BTW, congrats on graduating...which school are you going to? Is it called ATS? I think I have their site bookmarked for when i can take this business anymore and need to start driving a bulldozer